Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
I hope its 0-0 and Liverpool win on PK man what i would give to see the expression on Mourinho's face if this happened tonight :excited:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im a neutral for this game and I haven't got anything against Chelsea but it would be more interesting to see a defeated Mourinho in the post match press conference than a boring Benitez interview.

Anyway I just hope its a great game, Chelsea are stronger but Liverpool at home should never be underestimate by any team in the world.

It could go either way.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
I have a feeling Liverpool will get crushed, but I'm rooting for Liverpool nonetheless!

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Faisal said:
Im a neutral for this game and I haven't got anything against Chelsea but it would be more interesting to see a defeated Mourinho in the post match press conference than a boring Benitez interview.

Anyway I just hope its a great game, Chelsea are stronger but Liverpool at home should never be underestimate by any team in the world.

It could go either way.
Whats the world coming to now days, people wanting a team to win because of the post-match interview!?

What-ever the result I'm sure both sides will make a good account of themselves, hopefully the 12th man will see us through but it's to hard to call imo.

COME ON YOU REDMEN

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:pp

You know what I mean, the whole post match thing will be more entertaining.

Like I said Im a neutral and frankly I can't really think of another reason to have a preferance.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
Whats the world coming to now days, people wanting a team to win because of the post-match interview!?
well if you don't gamble and your team is not playing you have to find something that makes the match worth watching for ;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Mourinho: Chelsea Are Already Heroes
Mon 02 May, 7:09 PM

Jose Mourinho has eased the pressure off his Chelsea players ahead of the Champions League clash at Liverpool by insisting they would return to Stamford Bridge as "heroes" - whatever the result.

Mourinho predicted victory for Chelsea in the semi-final second-leg tie, but insisted his team have already sealed their place in the history books.

Chelsea clinched their first title in 50 years at Bolton, although celebrations have been delayed until Saturday's game against Charlton, when the trophy will be paraded at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho declared: "The pressure's on Liverpool. I can [only] imagine Anfield if Liverpool lose and the feeling for their supporters, whereas we will go back to London as heroes whatever.

"Independent of the result, my players will go to Stamford Bridge on Saturday for a big celebration and they will be received like heroes by the fans as they have given them the championship."

Asked whether those celebrations would be muted by defeat at Anfield, Mourinho insisted: "It would be a better feeling than for the Chelsea players and managers in the past 49 years.

"It's better to go back with the Premiership title than with nothing.

"When we left London to come to the north, we came with two objectives - going back champions and qualifying for the Champions League final. One, we have done already. The other, we will see."

Mourinho has major doubts over the fitness of wingers Arjen Robben and Damien Duff, with the Irishman having started today's session but then soon walked off the pitch in apparent discomfort.

Their absences would hamper his team's counter-attacking ability, which is especially important as they only secured a goalless draw in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho nevertheless remains supremely confident of reaching a second consecutive Champions League final, even if he insisted he is not concerned about his personal achievement.

"I think we will win or get a scoring draw. Maybe you will laugh at me after the game, but I can't go against my feelings and my confidence," he said.

"I'm not selfish though. I'm not the man that some people think I am. Only my players really know what and who I am.

"I would love to do it more for them than myself. Winning the Champions League is something special and because my players are special, I would love to see them do it.

"I've tried to explain to them what it's like to play in a UEFA competition final. It's a fantastic feeling.

"But it's more about ambition, the players want to keep on winning. They have the Carling Cup and the Premiership in the pockets, but they want more for their careers and their lives.

"That's why I think our future will be good next season as well as the players have a good taste and they want to keep it."

Mourinho expects a hostile reception for his team tomorrow night, especially having angered the Liverpool fans with his own 'silence' gesture in the Carling Cup final.

"The players will be affected in a positive way. I have seen some fantastic atmospheres in England - Portsmouth, Anfield and Old Trafford are special places to play football," he said.

"Of course, the atmosphere is against you and in favour of the home team but you have to play football and forget. Do I relish it? Yes, but the crowd don't play."

The Chelsea boss has ensured his team were not carried away by the emotion of beating Bolton, keeping them together without returning to London in between games.

"It's been easy to concentrate on tomorrow's game, it's a big game. In fact, it's the best way to forget the Premiership and celebrations," he said.

"The team deserve to celebrate the Premiership in a different way to what we did. It was a one-hour celebration and they were spraying the champagne, not drinking too much.

"Then it was finished and we went back to the hotel to normality - no families, no wives, no kids, no dinners, no champagne, nothing to enjoy.

"We have just stayed in the hotel for three days to prepare for this game. But I will give them Wednesday and Thursday to enjoy themselves."

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Rafa will remain cool
Tue 03 May, 8:05 AM

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists he will stay cool and calm on the touchline for Tuesday's Champions League showdown with Chelsea.

"I will be relaxed. You need to think about the game and if you are nervous maybe you can affect your players so the most important thing will be to be calm.

"If you start with a high tempo and score, people will say it is enough. But you are playing Chelsea, you need to play with that tempo for 90 minutes," said Benitez.

Central defender Jamie Carragher admits the Reds will be looking to captain Steven Gerrard to turn the game.

Carragher, who is close friends with the skipper, said: "Stevie is one of our top players, of course. When he plays well then we normally put in a top performance. If he puts in a top performance then that will take us to victory."

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I think it'll be a score draw, Chelsea to progress.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Liverpool vs Chelsea - Premiership managers give their predictions
12:08pm 3rd May 2005 Ahead of the Champions League semi-final second leg at Anfield between Liverpool and Chelsea, seven Premiership bosses give their predictions and one other breaks with tradition and keeps his opinions to himself...

Martin Jol, Tottenham
If Robben and Duff are not playing, Chelsea are not the same and Liverpool have proved to be a tactically clever team. If Chelsea have everyone available, they are as good away as at home. But if one or two of their front men are out, Liverpool have a chance.
Comment : Of course Liverpool have a chance, it's semifinal.

Alain Perrin, Portsmouth
If Liverpool start to get tired or the game goes to extra time they can use the fans' noise and energy to lift them. But I have a small preference for Chelsea. Didier Drogba was my player at Marseille and I would like him to score the decisive goal.
Comment : If the game goes to extra time, the goalkeeper will be more useful than the fan's noice. :yawn:

David O'Leary, Aston Villa
Tactically, I don't expect much to change from the first leg. Liverpool have surprised me in Europe. It's almost as if they have focused on that rather than the Premiership, which is strange. And because Chelsea have not conceded, I'm going to go with them.
Comment : Yeah baby, yeah...

Harry Redknapp, Southampton
The first leg was a terrific performance from Liverpool. Benitez set his team up well. Chelsea are still slight favourites. But European nights at Anfield ... there's nothing like it in the world, the place will be absolutely incredible. It will be a great second leg.
Comment : Better don't talk at all :rollani:

Stuart Pearce, Manchester City
The first half-hour will be crucial. If Chelsea manage to score early on then I am sure they will think they will go on to win it. But the longer Liverpool can keep the game tight the greater their chance. I think it will be absolutely fascinating.
Comment : No comment.

Alan Curbishley, Charlton
Both teams can be classed as favourites. Liverpool are at home and they'll have the crowd with them but they'll have to come at Chelsea more than they did at Stamford Bridge. But Chelsea have been so dangerous away from home so they will fancy their chances.
Comment : Fair enough

Arsene Wenger, Arsenal
The result in the first game suits Chelsea, because they are not a team who like to take the initiative. Can Liverpool up the tempo to put them under pressure? That is the problem Liverpool will have to sort out ? how to attack without conceding against Chelsea.
Comment : Good opinion

Sir Alex Ferguson
"I am not getting into that..."
Commnet : :wallbang:

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I´m not going to risk watching it, I´ll tape it and if people say the match was good I´ll watch it.

but it will probably be a waste of time watching Gerrard missing passes again.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
_Barcino_ said:
As a neutral....C'mon Reds beat the Cheat$ki!

:cool: :cool: reds always cool :cool: :cool:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Liverpool v Chelsea tactical analysis
The goalless first-leg draw between Liverpool and Chelsea has left their Champions League semi-final on a knife-edge.
Latest pre-match build-up
Latest team news and stats

With both sides still having all to play for and a place in the final at stake, tactics will be crucial in a sizzling night at Anfield.

Will Liverpool go all out for Chelsea's jugular in the opening half-hour, or will Rafa Benitez adopt a more cautious, containment approach? And what are the crucial selection decisions?

Former England manager Graham Taylor and BBC football pundit Alan Hansen give their views.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIVERPOOL

Possible formation: 4-4-1-1
Fitness doubts: Cisse has made four second-half substitutes appearances since returning from a broken leg.
Yellow cards: If Liverpool win, Finnan, Carragher and Hamann will miss the final if they receive a second caution.

Defence:
Taylor: If the game is going to be won or lost it could be from Liverpool's left-back position and Chelsea's right-back position. Liverpool's left back is Traore, and against the left-footed Robben, or Duff who can go either way as well, that could be an area that might be successful for Chelsea - particularly in the latter stages.

Midfield
Taylor: Alonso is not playing because of his yellow card. I have no doubt Benitez will play Biscan and Hamman in the two holding positions allowing Gerrard to work hard and explode forward as we all know he can.

Hansen: The key is in midfield, where Gerrard just has to play at his best for Liverpool. History tells us that if Gerrard is special, Liverpool can be special and he has delivered for them in Europe.

Sure they've got big European results without him, like away to Juventus, but when you see him score the sort of goal he did against Middlesbrough, that's what can make the difference on a night like this.

In any game of this magnitude you need your best players to play well. It's simple to say but not always easy to achieve.

Up front:
Taylor: Does Cisse come in instead of Baros? It would be a big call to start with Cisse. (Or does he switch to 4-4-2 and play them both?) Baros is more than just a 'head down' sort of player, but he is a difficult man to play alongside.

Anfield:
Hansen: There is no doubt the Anfield crowd will be a key factor. Not in the sense that it will make Chelsea crumble - players of the stature of John Terry do not crumble. But it will give Liverpool such a massive lift.

The value of a noisy, passionate home crowd cannot be underestimated and I know people who said that the atmosphere for the Juventus game was the best at Anfield since the famous European Cup quarter-final against St Etienne in 1977.

Liverpool just came out of the blocks and blew Juventus away with their pace and tempo. Chelsea's first priority, as was ours when we played away in Europe, is to silence the crowd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHELSEA

Possible formation: 4-3-2-1
Late fitness tests: Damien Duff, Arjen Robben.
Yellow cards: If Chelsea win, Gallas and Carvalho will miss the final if they receive a second yellow card.

Wingers:
Taylor: Is Jose Mourinho going to start with Robben and will Duff be fit?

If Duff starts then there is no place for Joe Cole.

That means there will be at least one and perhaps two on the bench from Robben, Duff and Cole - and what players to have to bring on.

Hansen: I don't think Liverpool will go at Chelsea in the same way they went at Juventus because Chelsea have pace, particularly if they can call on Duff or Robben.

Liverpool do not want to get stretched because if they have a weakness, it is that they do not have real searing pace in then centre of defence.

Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher have been fantastic, but they are not lightning quick so they don't want to get caught like that.

Midfield
Taylor: Will Mourinho start with Tiago or will he say "Gudjohnsen's been playing back in midfield so we will leave him in there?"

Hansen: Gerrard is the key to Liverpool's hopes, but what a battle it will be with Frank Lampard and Claude Makelele.

Chelsea will not be taking their foot off the gas because they have clinched the title. I think they will be even hungrier.

They are on the verge of dreamland, in a Champions League semi-final after winning the title and the Carling Cup. I think they will be buzzing and the adrenalin will really be pumping.

VERDICT:
Hansen: I think Liverpool will win. Much has been made of the fact that they didn't get an away goal in the first game, but if you had offered Liverpool that result before the game they would have just said "where do we sign?"

It was a much better result for Liverpool than Chelsea and my feeling is they will make it count at Anfield.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I just don´t see Baros alone working, he is not that type of striker to play solo. I rather see someone be the target and Baros the second striker.

If Liverpool do win it will be down to their defense.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts