Xtratime Community banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
43,519 Posts
Yeah, I can see the American Football comparison for that run. Winger in rugby works too.

The NBA comparison works as well. I said before his back-to-goal play reminded me of Shaq in the paint at his prime...in the days where bigs were relevant. Shaq waits for the ball in the paint with his hand up, Penny just pops him the ball and Shaq gets to work, backing in. Lukaku showed that again vs Milan...it's pretty crazy his defender was frozen behind him, unable to do anything but wait for the ball to reach Lukaku on a couple of occasions. It's an aspect of his game that really only came into its own this season.

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
It's a very Serie A thing, the classic strikers do it a lot, and get a lot of fouls. Luca Toni comes to mind, but so many others, not all of them great of course. And the best Italian defenders are not only incredibly dirty but also very good at anticipating stronger strikers in all kinds of skillful ways, like kicking the ball between the attackers' legs. Of course big strikers play with the back to the goal in EPL too, but more often for disputed aerial balls, like headers for a runner behind them.

I think Lukaku could definitely be helpful to United these days by the way. He may not have been great but can be a n incredibly useful player if used well.

·
Registered
43,519 Posts
I can't think of many Serie A strikers who've done it that well, but Luca Toni is the best example, imo. Every time I hear his name, the immediate mental picture is of him with his back to goal in the box. Nowadays, I'd probably picture him in the Verona gear, most likely because it was a great kit. Zlatan is probably the other major example. Vieri was great at holding the ball up but didn't do it quite like those guys.

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
yeah not as good, but guys like Lucarelli come to mind. Vieri was very good.

Pippo was actually decent too with his back to the goal(but closer to the goal), as was Tevez.

One of the best of course is my homie Paolo Guerrero.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,875 Posts

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Lukaku has improved by about 500% since he arrived.

For me, he hasn't had a bad game in weeks. Maybe a couple of months.

He hasn't always scored and seems to miss the easiest of easy chances, but his all round game has come on leaps and bounds.

And he almost scored an outrageous long-range goal against Lecce, almost an Adriano-esque and goal of the season against Cagliari.

With a touch more luck, he and Eriksen would be 2 of the main contenders for goal of the season in Serie A right now.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,875 Posts
LOL, that elbow on Zabaleta only getting him a yellow card.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts