Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 1454 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we've got a thread for sharing music, so why not a thread for football and other sports betting? :pp

Even if you don't gamble yourself you can still share any opinion you have on any match. Most likely this thread will just be me updating it several times a week with lots of losing bets, but it'll be useful for me to know where I stand anyway :D

Haven't worked out my strategy for tomorrow yet (except that 9/2 Hibs is too big a price :() so here's my football bets from midweek:

Reading to beat Sheffield United @ 7/4 - Reading miss a last minute penalty and draw 1-1.

Liverpool to draw with Arsenal @ 9/4 - Liverpool net a winner with 4 minutes left.

Sevilla to beat Lokomotiv Moscow @ 11/5 - Sevilla win 1-0 in Moscow with a 76th minute goal.

Could have been better, and could have been worse. No damage done though.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Nice one angle. About time we had some good betting discussion on here :)

I'm a keen bettor as it goes, but I've been keeping it on the low since the new year. So basically I'm only betting on the goodies that pop up. It's proviing a reasonable strategy too. My two bets and two wins have been Celtic/Motherwell OVER 2.5 (cheers Shaun) and Real Madrid to beat Bilbao. I don't see anything today that takes my fancy big time.

I could write a whole thread on advice... but the main one is to always write down your bets and keep track of them so as you know exactly how much you're winning or losing (however painful it may be :tongue: ).

Set aside a 'bank' of money you can AFFORD TO LOSE! Then your staking plan should be between 5 and 10% of this for every bet, obviously increasing or decreasing along with your bank. I've managed to increase it 7% for just those two bets in February, so if I keep going at that rate I'll be doing well.

Also, I only ever bet on singles, purely as a result of the comparatively low bookie profit margins on these bets. Even a double has nine possible outcomes as opposed to the three of a single. Not worth it IMO.

Maybe we could start a wee friendly competition?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sound like a pretty disciplined bettor, which you have to be if you want to make a profit. My discipline isn't as good as it should be, but it is getting better. The last few years I started keeping a note of all my bets, but I never made it through the whole year. I know I made a loss in 2003 of probably a couple hundred. In 2004 I had a profit of about that, and the same last year. So far this year i'm probably showing a slight loss. Although if Hibs had scored one goal today i'd be in profit.

I bet mostly singles, but i've nothing against doubles. I don't tend to touch trebles anymore.

Bets today:

Kris Boyd 1st goalscorer and 2-1 Rangers @ 28/1 - Lost
Dundee United draw with Inverness @ 9/4 - Lost

I'll have a go at a competition if you want. I'll leave the format up to you. Something like 3 selections a week, and the winner is the one to have the best level-stakes profit?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Talk about great minds think alike!!!! I created an identical thread yesterday in the main forum.

First person to respond saying fools seldom differ wins a boot in the hee-haws.....:D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, i'll settle for being called a great mind :D.

Not having any bets today, cos I don't like the look of any of the matches.

I'm tempted to have a bit on Andy Murray to beat Lleyton Hewitt @ 2/1. If he can beat Roddick he's definitely got a shout against Hewitt. The only thing that puts me off is that Murray's not been serving great and Hewitt's a much better returner than Roddick is. Tricky one :undecide:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Betting on Tennis?? A bit radical for me :D

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have knowledge of many sports :stuckup: ;). I usually confine my tennis bets to the Grand Slams, but if I have an opinion on the smaller tournaments then i'll have a go. I've decided to have something on him. Probably only £5. I'm not THAT confident. I just think the price represents some value.

Went to see my dad tonight and said something along the lines of, "did you happen to notice the remarkable score those fine chaps at Celtic racked up?" He said, "you'll never believe this, but I bought their supremacy at 1.9 goals." Probably one of the only times i'm glad they scored a barrowload. Jammy old git won £255. I haven't seen a penny though :depress:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've backed Murray at 3/1 after he went a break down. They're back on serve now and he's 2/1, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't looking good when he lost the first set 6-2. He's 5-1 up in the second though, and I could actually lay my bet off by backing Hewitt and make a very small profit. That wouldn't make much sense though.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Very nice angle :) The boy claims his first title.

First of many I hope.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, i'm happier that he managed to win than the fact I won a bit of money. I knew when I saw him play his first match at the Stella Artois championship last year that he had a real chance of making it to the top.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
Went to see my dad tonight and said something along the lines of, "did you happen to notice the remarkable score those fine chaps at Celtic racked up?" He said, "you'll never believe this, but I bought their supremacy at 1.9 goals." Probably one of the only times i'm glad they scored a barrowload. Jammy old git won £255. I haven't seen a penny though :depress:
Lol I can just imagine what your comment to your dad was. :D

I don't understand that bet, could you explain it?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a spread bet rather than the more usual fixed-odds bet. Spread-betting is a bit riskier than fixed-odds in that the amount you can lose (or win) is not fixed. For that bet the spread-betting firm offers a spread on how many goals Celtic will win by. I assume their spread for this match was round about 1.5 - 1.9, which means you could sell Celtic's supremacy as 1.5 goals or buy it at 1.9 goals. If you buy at 1.9 then you need Celtic to win by at least 2 goals to make a profit.

In this case his stake was £50, so if they'd won by two goals he'd have got £55 back. If they won by 3 it'd have been £105, for 4 £155...etc. The downside is that if it had been a draw then he'd have lost 1.9 x £50 (£95). Even if Dunfermline had won this would be the maximum figure he could lose on the bet.

Hope i've explained it OK there. I've yet to get involved in spread-betting because of the potential to lose a lot.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Cheers Angle. That makes sense to me. As you can tell I'm not up on all the different types of bets. Fixed odds are about my limit.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Real Madrid 8/13 to beat Arsenal tomorrow
good single bet,thinking of sticking a few quid on it myself
Oh,and spread betting scares the hell outta me

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree about that one. You could get 4/6 this morning until the bookies started shitting themselves. It really pisses me off when bookies do that. They pay their compilers good money to come up with what they think are the correct odds, and they should have the baws to stand by them. It's supposed to be fixed odds ffs.

Other than the Madrid match, I don't like the other matches. It's a bit ropey betting on these first leg ties because most away teams would settle for a draw. The second legs should provide better betting opportunities.

Having said that, I noticed Rangers were 9/4 to win on Wednesday with betfair. I'm very tempted. Starting to get a good gut feeling about this one. I'll confirm that before Wednesday though, cos I might just have eaten some dodgy food ;).

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Do you guys bet online? If so what site do you use or do you use a number of sites?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I agree with you Angle, the pundits are advocating Liverpool to win in Benfica (which may be a good shout) but because I know a draw would be considered an acceptable result I think I'll keep my purse in my pocket.

Was feeling drawn to a big single on Bayern at home to Milan but scrutiny of the Italians previous record against the Bavarians has cooled my jets :D I'm excited by some of the other matches but not enough value to consider actually betting on them. I think I'll just kick back and enjoy the drama with a bottle of Cobra and some Doritos [Wild Man :D]

Chivo - Betfair, by far the best odds for single matches. That aside there's probably not a lot between the major online bookmakers.

1 - 20 of 1454 Posts