Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can Kevin Keegan get England to play, or maybe the answer is in that question. Maybe Keegan is not enough of a tactician to be a national team manager. Tactics like pass the ball to your best player all the time are not enough at International level. The rest of the players must take responsibility to play rather than take the easy option and hit the ball to Beckham.
I just can't understand how a team that has so many good players can be so dismal on the international stage. Graham Taylor had an excuse, he had players like Carlton Palmer available to him.
Keegan however has possibly the best selection of players that an England coach has had since 1990, and yet he continues to pick Ince, the Neville Brothers, Keown and Seaman, who WERE good players, but now can not cut it at the top level.
As a Liverpool fan, it was painfully obvious that 2 years ago Ince was past his sell by date, and he still gets into the team ahead of players like Gerrard, Bowyer and Lampard!
Either Kevin Keegan is too sentimental, or he sees something in these players that most of therest of the world can not see!

B

·
0 Posts
Graham Taylor had an excuse, he had players like Carlton Palmer available to him.
Keegan had players like the neville brother available to him.....everybody has an excuse.

Bowyer was unavailable, I don't believe his bail conditions permit him to go on forighn jaunts. Lampards no good, and gerrard still has alot to prove.

sack KEEGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Hi guys, long time no see.

Sorry Razor for leaving you to do this forum on your own but I am having a bit of problem getting a computer at the moment. Before I was in Cardiff Uni and therefore could get on line all the time for free, however since my comp broke in my other home my parents are taking their time as they are waiting for NTL to be available here (it offers the best deal). Hopefully this will be soon.

About England and how to improve, I think that this is easy in essence. Play Macca, Dyer, anyone but Phil Neville and give Ugo Ehiogu a chance. Gerrad should be seen as the star that he is and Wright should play in goal. I also think that we should think about playing one up front (Owen) with maybe Macca in behind with Barmby on the left.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry about it pool, I've not had to difficult a time....yet ;)
Hey at least the forum is up and about and at least a little active:)

We all seem to agree that the likes of Dyer, Gerrard, Barry and possibly England's best player Steve McManaman should be in the team. The problem is that Keegan looks lik he is going to stick with his "Old Guard". This means the Neville twits staying in the team ahead of both Dyer and Barry, two far more gifted footballers.
Those of you saying sack Keegan, who would you replace him with? I think you all know my personal preference would be El Tel Venables, a manager who got the best out of some very ordinary players during Euro96.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Thank you, Mr. RazorUK for your quote "possibly England's best player Steve McManaman". At last somebody in England said aloud what the rest of the world knows for some years now. I wonder if there is a single soul outside the Liverpool fans camp that shares your opinion.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zico, if you search through my posts or pool_till_i_die posts you will find that both myself and pool share the sentiments of the rest of the world. If you check out the Liverpool forum there is an interesting topic called "if only Macca had stayed" . You might be interested!:)

S

·
0 Posts
get rid of the neville bros and put players like Dyer in. Tony Adams is getting old and can't keep up with the pace of todays game.
England shouldn't really have a problem cause they have enough players of international class

S

·
0 Posts
Best way to improve the England team?

1) Get more youngsters like Dyer, Joe Cole, Ferdinand, Gerard, Wright into the team to get international experience whilst slowly easing out Ince, Seaman, Nevilles*2.

2) Sack Keegan as he is the most inept idiot with no tactical knowhow who solely relies on his motivating skills to win him matches.

3) Replace Keegan with Johan Cruyff who knows how football should be played and is a great coach.

4) Learn from the more successful nations of Euro 2000 like France, Portugal, Holland. Go and see how they train, how they set up youth academies and how they bring up and train young players.

5) Be patient. Success will not come overnight. In fact i'd be very surprised if England did well in the next World cup. Hopefully all those youth academies Howard Wilkinson has set up will prove successful in a few years. ;)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
How many coaches do you guys need? The players you have are shi*! Put keegan on brazil, france , netherlands, argentina and they probably would not miss a beat. English football in general needs to wake up and realize that they are quickly being passed by more and more countries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts