Xtratime Community banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
The Euro2008 Spain is a bit of a myth.

Iniesta and Xavi came off at around the 60 minute mark against Russia (group), Sweden and Italy. They were by no means influential until after the Quarter Final where Spain broke their duct with the penalty win over Italy.

People mainly remember the Semi-Final against the Russians (remember Spain already defeated them in the Group 4-1) because the Russians had beat Holland in such a manner and the final against Germany, and mask our whole tournament as great from those final two games.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Remember a lot of fans used to complain about terrible, defensive and boring Italian NTs? :D

Now, it seems Spanish NT took the torch. I don't see this style going away, either, with most Spanish teams and talent coming through being in the same mould :D

Yes, Spain could be much more attacking under another manager, but the 70+% possession and tiki taka are here to stay :D Look at the young players who are likely to be stars of Spanish NT: Isco, Muniain, Thiago, Canales etc. All technical midgets with superb passing.
Took the torch for being "terrible, defensive, and boring"?

1) Spain are not terrible. Even the group-think anti-spain bandwagon jumpers have to grudgingly admit that this team displays a level of technical excellence and collective play that most sides could only dream of.

2) Defensive? I suppose you could argue that they are in a way - but not at all in the same mold as Italy were. Spain does not put stacks of men behind the ball, does not lump it out over and over, and doesn't base its football or defense on being reactive. When teams play defensively they generally play like this, because they simply cannot play like Spain.

There's also the added benefit that Spain's "defensive" play virtually always allows them to dominate their opponents in almost every offensive statistic available, something that doesn't ever happen with the park-the-bus strategy.

3) Boring? I'm baffled by how people could find technical brilliance boring. I understand to the johnny come latelys who just want to see "Goals! Action!", the type of football Spain plays may not be packed with enough excitement, much in the same way that a Justin Bieber fan wouldn't be able to sit through a piece from Corelli, but I am never bored watching Spain. I suppose a fair amount of this is a backlash against Spain's success, which is understandable if not excusable.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I don't think this is the best Spanish side ever.

Thread title is misleading :D
To each his own.

I think they've been proving it, and probably won't get proper credit for what they've achieving until some time has passed.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Took the torch for being "terrible, defensive, and boring"?

1) Spain are not terrible. Even the group-think anti-spain bandwagon jumpers have to grudgingly admit that this team displays a level of technical excellence and collective play that most sides could only dream of.

2) Defensive? I suppose you could argue that they are in a way - but not at all in the same mold as Italy were. Spain does not put stacks of men behind the ball, does not lump it out over and over, and doesn't base its football or defense on being reactive. When teams play defensively they generally play like this, because they simply cannot play like Spain.

There's also the added benefit that Spain's "defensive" play virtually always allows them to dominate their opponents in almost every offensive statistic available, something that doesn't ever happen with the park-the-bus strategy.

3) Boring? I'm baffled by how people could find technical brilliance boring. I understand to the johnny come latelys who just want to see "Goals! Action!", the type of football Spain plays may not be packed with enough excitement, much in the same way that a Justin Bieber fan wouldn't be able to sit through a piece from Corelli, but I am never bored watching Spain. I suppose a fair amount of this is a backlash against Spain's success, which is understandable if not excusable.
You can be an attacking side and be boring. For example, Chelsea's Mourinho led every statistic on goals scored but I found them as dull as ditchwater.

Also, it's a strawman to compare Spain to classical music. I LOVED the Spain 08 side and Barca, I find Del Bosque Spain anti-football.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,885 Posts
It's fair game as long as you are winning. But can Spain supporters seriously say with a straight face that Del Bosque's line up and substitutions don't have you seething with anger?

The best Spanish striker of last season hasn't even got a minute on the field as yet. The second best didn't even make the squad. How the **** does Fabregas and Navas get so many minutes while Cazorla who was head and shoulders above them last season gets only charity minutes with game over.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
DB's doesn't really deserve any credit. Like Sachal said, the Spanish players are so far better at playing football than any other nation, they hardly need a coach anymore.

·
Registered
17,522 Posts
I really pity Spain at the moment. Although they win everything they still get criticized all the time. It feels like even if they become champions again they have to feel sorry for achieving it.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Spain only looked fun to watch against the Irish. The rest of the time they have looked really boring and painstaking.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Those of you who took my sage advice and put money on it - you're welcome.

Those who didn't, live and learn.

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
Those of you who took my sage advice and put money on it - you're welcome.

Those who didn't, live and learn.
Its against my religion to bet...... but f*ck that sh*t, I'm gonna be the first one placing some hard earned €'s on them in 2014.

apologies to Nerazzuri4life for use of obscene language :):angel:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
A fanboy favourite backer at that. XT, where do you find these guys? :err:
They found me several years before they found you.

Have the balls to post your predictions? Didn't think so. Run off and cry now, that's a thrashing that won't soon be forgotten.

121 - 140 of 180 Posts