Xtratime Community banner

Who's the best signing of 2010 in Brasil? (MULTIPLE CHOICE!)

• Leandro to Fluminense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Borges to Gremio

• Marcelinho Paraiba to São Paulo

• Dodo to Vasco

• Cicinho to São Paulo

• Lincoln to Palmeiras

• someone else

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who's the best signing of 2010 in Brazilian football so far? I'm opening the floor for nominations, and after the transfer window is closed we can add a poll to see who got the best reinforcement (or maybe the Top 5 reinforcements, if we have a multiple-choice poll - what do you think?).

Of course, it goes without saying that any reinforcement can fail. No signing is a guaranteed success beforehand. ;) At this point we're talking about who LOOKS like the best signing, based on any criteria you like. A longer contract can make a difference between two equally-good signings, for instance - signing a player like Wagner Love for six months might not be as good a deal as signing another top player for an year or two. Also: How much will that player in particular improve the team tactically (i.e., was it a position that especially required reinforcement?)?

So far Atletico-MG signed a handful of players - the highlights being Equatorian centreback Jairo Campos (who won the 2008 Libertadores with LDU), and experienced leftback Leandro (ex-Palmeiras, Cruzeiro, Porto and Vitoria).

But of course, we can't talk about leftbacks in Brasil this year without mentioning Roberto Carlos, Corinthians' recent reinforcement.

The 2002 World Cup-winning veteran joins other good players to improve the Timão's chances on their 100th-anniversary Libertadores: attacking midfielder Tcheco came from Gremio and forward Iarley (ex-Boca Juniors and Internacional). Roberto Carlos is an obvious candidate for best signing of 2010, I suppose.

Botafogo signed a handful of players, like Argentinean forward Herrera (ex-Corinthians and Gremio), the most famous among them being Uruguayan striker "El Loco" Abreu. Who hopefully will score a shltload of goals for us. :hopeful: :D

Speaking of leftbacks, Fluminense signed the best leftback of the 2009 Brasilian league - Goias' Julio Cesar. Other interesting signings included midfielders Willians (ex-Palmeiras) and Ewerton (ex-Barueri), and defensive-mid/rightback Thiaguinho (ex-Botafogo). But Julio Cesar arrives surrounded by the biggest expectations, stepping into a previously problematic position and even talking about being called to the NT in time to solve our leftback problem at the WC. Can't blame him for being ambitious, I guess. :D

Gremio brought in a bunch of new faces, including a few good ex-São Paulo players - forwards Borges and Leandro and attacking-mid Hugo are arriving. Since Douglas Costa and Maxi Lopez seem to be on their way out to Yurp, they'll need new faces upfront, and Leandro+Borges may be an interesting pair. Some Flamenguistas I know are wildly jealous of Gremio's transfer campaign, saying that instead of insisting on Wagner Love Fla should've gone for Leandro. They may have a point, but Wagner would sell more shirts. :greed:

São Paulo signed half-a-dozen new players. The highlight is probably attacking-mid Marcelinho Paraiba (ex-Hertha Berlin, Wolfsburg, Coritiba and who played in São Paulo from 97 to 2000). The 5 other signings are centrebacks Xandão (ex-Barueri) and the berzerker Andre Luis (ex-Santos, Fluminense, Marseille, Botafogo and Barueri among others), unstable midfielder Leo Lima (who's 27 years old and São Paulo will be his 10th club, almost a record), midfielder Carlinhos Paraiba (ex-Coritiba) and promising forward Fernandinho (ex-Barueri). Three players from Barueri! Is Barueri becoming a feeder club for São Paulo or what? :D

Vasco signed several players in order to to do better in the 2010 Serie A than they did in 2008 - among them rightback Elder Granja (ex-Internacional) and leftback Marcio Careca (ex-Barueri). But the most celebrated new signing was 35-year-old veteran striker Dodo (ex-São Paulo, Santos and Botafogo), "o artilheiro dos gols bonitos", returning from a long suspension for doping.

As I write there are ongoing negotiations that may bring in new faces or transfer good players between Brazilian clubs - Flamengo is trying to get Wagner Love from Palmeiras, Cruzeiro wants to bring Chilean playmaker Valdivia back from Al Ain (an Arab Emirates club), Internacional dreams of landing Cicinho from Roma and Rafael Sobis from Al-Jazeera (another Arab Emirates club), Palmeiras and São Paulo want Alex Silva from Hamburg, Vasco wants to sign Rafael Carioca from Spartak Moscow, stuff like that. But as I write none of these deals have been concluded, so let's see what happens.

So, did I forget someone? Who were the best signings for this season, and among them who will be most important to his new club?

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
I think our trnfer market is the most confusing thing on the planet. everyone moving between clubs, I cant keep up.
thats a great list grinch! I'll have to take my time looking at all these.
Cant believe my favorite LB is playing for the enemy with my favorite player :(

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
you forgot internacional. they've made a couple of good signings. bruno silva, nei and probably renan as well.

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
the best single signing? that would be hard to answer... Probably RC because of marketing reasons...

but I think Gremio made the best (overall) signings.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,471 Posts
Well Corinthians are going/or have extended RONALDO O FENOMENO's contract no?
THerefore, that's the best signing OBVIOUSLY - FOR SUUUUUUUUURE!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What? No Rambo Petkovic, basically signed because he was owned money :D.
Petkovic was probably the best signing of the 2nd semester of 2009.
Ronaldo was arguably the best signing of the 1st semester of 2009.
And now we're discussing who's the best signing of the 1st semester of 2010.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Petkovic was probably the best signing of the 2nd semester of 2009.
Ronaldo was arguably the best signing of the 1st semester of 2009.
And now we're discussing who's the best signing of the 1st semester of 2010.
people are blowing Petkovic football in 2009 way out of proportion, Flamengo would win that title with or without him.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
people are blowing Petkovic football in 2009 way out of proportion, Flamengo would win that title with or without him.
I'm not so sure they would have; Petkovic gave them a spark of midfield creativity that they sorely needed since the beginning of the year, and he showed up in several decisive moments of the championship. Plus there's the fact that signing him cost zero and actually reduced the club's debt - it's hard to beat THAT, it's almost like he paid to play. :greed:

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
Frankly, I do not like São Paulo signings this year so far, which probally shows most clubs are not more balanced and there is equilibrium also in the what if part. But Santos, Vasco and Botafogo are running up for the worst signing. Herrera is very limited, El loco, i suppose they will trust the air game. Vasco did nothing exceptional. And Santos is building their relegation this year.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The latest big signing: Flamengo announced Vagner Love as Adriano's new attacking partner. It's a loan deal that expires on July 10th, which means that Vagner won't be available if Flamengo reaches the Libertadores semifinal - but I suppose Flamengo isn't planning that far ahead, and are happy to sell a few thousand #9 shirts with Vagner's name on them. Vagner Love even wept in his presentation, for finally getting to defend his childhood team.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there any rumors of Adriano going back to Europe or his staying with Falmengo?!
There were rumours about Milan, Olympiakos and West Ham showing interest, but no concrete offer so far.

It's interesting to note that like Vagner Love, Adriano may not be available if Flamengo reaches the Libertadores finals - as far as I know his current contract ends shortly before the World Cup, in late May, and the Libertadores' decisive stages will take place in July and August (which probably means that other teams playing the Libertadores will also lose key players before the finals, which only highlights how retarded the South American federation is).

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And after the arrivals of Roberto Carlos, "Loco" Abreu, Rafael Carioca and Alex Silva from foreign clubs, Santos brought back their biggest star of the last decade: Robinho - who left Santos a few years ago in the worst way possible, basically spitting on them until they agreed to sell him, so it's odd to see them welcome him back so passionately. But if that doesn't bother the Santistas, I guess it's not anyone else's problem. :mute:

I suppose he's a good candidate for best signing of 2010, but I wonder if the impact of this signing won't be reduced if he leaves again in a couple of months. I mean, at least Roberto Carlos signed for the whole friggin' season...

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Man, I totally admire Vagner Love, he has a great character. :D

Roberto Carlos is almost 37, but im not going to lie that even someone at his age, he has a great spirit and lots of stamina. Sure he may be living in the shadow of his past but he is still very energetic and a little bit too aggressive! :(

I would fairly say Robinho beats them all. :thumbsup:

But I can tell you the best signing of 2011 will be Alex de Souza to Corinthians. :howler:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts