Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Difficult for me to say. No one really stands out. Maybe John Collins at a push but we've been mostly more of a team of average players since I've been watching Scotland. Hopefully that will change in the future.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I've never really got to see Scotland much but from what I can remember in my days the ones who stuck out are:-

John Collins
Paul McStay
Ally McCoist
Graeme Souness
Paul Lambert

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Ally McCoist and John Collins - beyond that i'm struggling of think of many players i expected something good to happen from when i saw them take the pitch!

Defensively we've been slightly better of in the last 10-15 years. Andy Goram and Jim Leighton had many great games between them over the years. Paul Lambert in midfield and Richard Gough for a time (one of the best defenders at Euro 92 IMO but then he fell out with Craig Brown so didn't add to his 61 caps after 1993.)

(I can't really remember the players in much detail before about 1988- ish)

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I was always a big Stuart McCall fan for Rangers and Scotland. Might not have been a guy who'd make things happen, but you needed someone like him in your team.

McAllister was a good player, but he'll always be remembered for that penalty unfortunately.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
but he'll always be remembered for that penalty unfortunately.

What penalty ;)

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Jackie McNamara was under-rated as well, I know he received a few plaudits but he was better than people made him out to be.

Cracking servent for Celtic and Scotland and should still be Celtic Captain.

·
Registered
368 Posts
King Kenny. Definately.

Sorry guys, just that Legend is my most favourite, and I dunno really about old Scots. (BUT TRY TAE LEARN!)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Would probably have to be Coisty
Never forget his goal against Switzerland :proud:, only for England to deliberatly let in a goal to knock us out :frustrat:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I remember that so well. It looked like it was going to be the first time we had ever in our history made it past the first round of a competition. It was a real sickner when Holland pulled the goal back that sent us out late on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What about at now?

Kenny Miller and Darren Fletcher, Hartley and so on.. who's the best player?

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Archie Gemmil :D

Well, I wish I had seen him play in the Derby team back in those glory days...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I saw him on the video from Tartanspecials.com

Some brilliant goals.. especially the 3rd goal against Holland 1978, I even saw the same goal televised at the Scottish Football Museum under the Hampden Park!!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
GK - Jim Leighton, Goram, Craig Gordon

Defenders - Richard Gough, Stuart McCall, Colin Hendry, Steven Pressley, Andy Webster

Midfield - Darren Fletcher, Paul McStay, Craig Burley, John Collins

Strikers - Kevin Gallacher, Paul Dickov, McCoist, Kenny Miller, Darren Jackson, Kris Boyd

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
I could be really biased and say lots of brilliant Leeds players (Collins, Bremner, Lorimer, E.Gray, F. Gray, Harvey, Strachan) or choose Jinky, but no; the best for me was definitely Dennis Law: a pure genius on the ball and a real professional, even sending his beloved ManU down to the second division with a cheeky back flick and crying afterwards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts