Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Fourth Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dunno u tell me

ill probaly say beckham or owen( when on form )

my mate says christian veiri?

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
All-round player - Patrick Vieira

Most dangerous player - Christian Vieri

You just can't compare goalkeepers to outfield players, or defenders to strikers.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
FIGO

FIGO The one the only

he hasnt reached his WC form with portugal and has been very ordinary but he has just come back from injury, and theres still time to impress

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The Best?

It's tough to choose the best, but it's easy to see that neither Beckham nor Owen are it. Beckham is good, but honestly, he's rubbish compared to Zidane or Veron.

And Owen? Oh, please... he MAY be one of the 5 top strikers today (MAYBE) but definitely not the best in the world.

I actually also believe that it's not reasonable to compare players from different positions, as different qualities are required of them. Who's better, Veron or Kahn? Nesta or Raul? Zidane or Vieri? Do you get my meaning?

IMHO, the best goalie is Oliver Kahn.
The best rightback is Cafu.
The best defender is Nesta.
The best leftback is Roberto Carlos.
The best defensive mid is Veron, followed closely by Vieira.
The best playmaker is Zidane.
The best striker is Vieri, followed closely by Ronaldo and Raul. :)

And as all of these choices are based on their present forms, all are subject to change at any time. Isn't soccer grand? ;):tongue:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Beckham is good, but honestly, he's rubbish compared to Zidane or Veron
Ok, yes Zidane is better then Beckham, but Beckham has alot of time left to get better, but Veron better then Beckham? no way! he isnt even world class let alone best in the world. He is possibly the most over-rated player of all time. And if your basing this on recent form then Veron isnt better :tongue: .

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
The best player in the world is Zidane as he is simply from another planet. His silky ball controls, his vision, his impact and weight on the teams he plays for cannot be compared to anyother player. Zidane is simply a monumental player.

The best player of the 2001-2002 season in the world has got to be Robert Pires. He was in a scintillating form. Too bad he got injured so early...:depress: My money was on him to be the MVP of the World Cup, but lady luck was not on his side this year...:eek:

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
I never understood this 'best player' thing as it doesn't do justice as defenders or goalkeepers are never elected. When FIFA and France Football elect their 'best player' it is always an offensive player. Now, can't a defender be best player. IMO, it makes much more sense to elect the MVP or Most Valuable Player, one thing that the Americans got right. :D :tongue: But not even that do justice because it depends on what team he plays for. Take France, their MVP must be Zinedine Zidane as they looked terrible without him and in their last game with a Zidane playing at about 80% they couldn't do good. Right now I would nominate Alessandro Nesta as MVP. He is crucial to Lazio and when he had to be subbed in Italy's game against Croatia, Italy's defence was in bits and pieces.

·
Registered
16,112 Posts
You guys havent a clue. The best football player in the world is Robbie Savage! Not only is he a phenomenal player but a wonderful human being :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The Best...?

After his performance against Argentina, I agree that Rio Ferdinand can compete for the crown of World's Best Defender, which IMHO presently belongs to Nesta.

And about the MVP thing... to be perfectly honest, I never thought Zidane was the best player of WC '98. He played well but not brilliantly, and only really shone in the finals. My opinion, although I do think he's a superb, sensational mid. I simply think he wasn't the absolute BEST player in WC 98. Even Thuram was more impressive throughout that tournament. :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
"IMHO, the best goalie is Oliver Kahn.
The best rightback is Cafu.
The best defender is Nesta.
The best leftback is Roberto Carlos.
The best defensive mid is Veron, followed closely by Vieira.
The best playmaker is Zidane.
The best striker is Vieri, followed closely by Ronaldo and Raul."

I think you've got it pretty much spot on there, Garrincha. The only ones I would argue with are:

The best leftback is Roberto Carlos. I say Candela.
The best rightback is Cafu. I would put Thuram just ahead of Cafu.
The best defensive mid is Veron, followed closely by Vieira. The other way round for me, Vieira then Veron.

Also I think ZZ and Totti are VERY close as Playmakers.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Goalkeepers:
1. Oliver Kahn
2. Francesco Toldo
3. Santiago Canizares

Right backs:
1. Lilian Thuram
2. Javier Zanetti
3. Cafu

Left backs:
1. Bixente Lizarazu
2. Roberto Carlos
3. Vicente Candela

Centre backs:
1. Alessandro Nesta
2. Rio Ferdinand
3. Sol Campbell

Central midfield:
1. Patrick Vieira
2. Mark Van Bommel
3. Michael Ballack

Left midfield:
1. Robert Pires
2. Alvaro Recoba
3. Tomas Rosicky

Right midfield:
1. Figo
2. David Beckham
3. Ruben Baraja

Play maker:
1. Zinedine Zidane
2. Francesco Totti
3. Rivaldo

Striker:
1. Christian Vieri
2. Thierry Henry
3. Ronaldo

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Goal Keeper: Oliver Kahn
Right Back: Javier Zanetti
Left Back: Roberto Carlos
Centre Back: Fabio Cannavaro
Left Mid: Alvaro Recoba
Right Mid: Luis Figo
Defensive Mid: Patrick Vieira
Offensive Mid: Manuel Rui Costa
Striker: Christian Vieri

Would like to say one thing... Why is that those players chosen are all playing in the European Leagues?? Does that mean that South American Leagues are lousy?? Actually what I think is that we are not exposed enough to South American Leagues.. So i think that we can only talk about choosing best players in European Leagues.. To talk about best players in the world, I think we do not have enough knowledge to talk about that.... Does anybody watch every football league in the world???? And what makes people so sure that there are no real good players from other leagues other than European leagues???

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
thepretender said:
dejan stankovic
Yeah, the racist f*** that no-one likes. Good suggestion.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts