Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 4 Matchdays to go, and the Liga is still full of drama. There is ofcourse the Barca and Madrid thing going on, which we all know how its going to turn out. And the last 2 Champions League spots are being battled out between: FC Sevilla (58 Points), Villareal (55 Points), Valencia (53 Points), Espanyol(53 Points) and Real Betis (52 Points).

All these teams have proven to be strong teams, giving a hell of a time for either Barca or Real Madrid. Some of them have played real attractive footbal, like Villareal and Betis. While Espanyol and Sevilla have proven to be a well balanced team, doing whatever it takes to win a match. And then ofcourse there is Valencia, which we all know their case.

For the past 3 seasons, Spanish teams haven't done much in the Champions League. In this thread, we have to pick who we think will best represent the Spanish soccer in the CL.

Here are my picks:

FC Sevilla: I think they have a great team this season, with good, decent players, like: S. Ramos, Adriano, Jesus Navas, Daniel Alves and others, the ofcourse there is the beast Julio Baptista.

Valencia: With the right coach, and a full squad this team can wonders. I reall y hope they make it to the CL, and make some right decisions during summer.

I was going to pick Villareal and Betis. But I really doubt Riquelme will be playing for them anymore (they don't have the cash to buy him, and no player who really intrests us). And although Betis play beautiful attacking football, which got them where they are now, in the CL you need a good defence, and the likes of Rivas aren't good enough.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
1.barca
2. real madrid
3. valencia
4. villareal

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
If they keep their current players:

Villarreal & Valencia.

If not:

Valencia & Sevilla.

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
1. Barça
2. Madrid
3. Sevilla
4. Valencia

That's how I predict the finished table for this season.

Villareal and Betis won't be able to keep their best stars, even if they reach the CL. Espanyol isn't good enough, and will probably lose 2-3 players next season. Sevilla OTOH has a young and enthusiastic team with a lot of depth and quality, and Valencia, the reigning champs battle it out with Villareal to clinch the last CL-spot, and will sign a quality striker and with Vicente back will be a force to be reckoned with in the next season.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I see no reason why wouldn't Joaquin stay if they qualified for CL... I would :D Assuncao will stay no matter what, Juanito and Edu too, Denilson will move anyway and he isn't a starter anyhow... the only one I doubt will stay is Oliveira(hope he does, though)... Villareal is the team that will dissolve in the summer(Riquelme = Villareal)...

So my hopes for TOP4 would be

1. R. Madrid :)D just kiddin)... Espanyol or sth like that
2. R. Madrid
3. Betis
4. Who cares now that Valencia is pretty much out of it... let us say Sevilla so that they don't sell Baptista to Barca :D

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Yeah, it's a weird situation this season where most teams seem to be looking at losing their best players whether they make it or not but I'd say Valencia (great squad, if it's well managed it can go far) and Betis (they'll sell Joaquin to Chelsea or Real but the money will safeguard everyone else and allow a couple of top quality signings).

I have my doubts that Villareal, Espanyol or Sevilla will be able to hold off the vultures.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Valencia are entering bad weather. Too many of their top players are over the hill and the whole squad is ageing. They are far from the level they had some seasons ago. No one can doubt the class of many in the team right now, but they don't look hungry anymore. I predict them to have some dog years berfore geting back to the top.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
They'd be fine if they cut some of the deadwood (Fiore, Corradi, Di Vaio, ok, the Italians) and invested the money in young Spanish players imo. Provided they bought smart of course. They need to do it now because leaning into mediocrity would surely mean the end of Vicente.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Typo, my bad :D

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
They'd be fine if they cut some of the deadwood (Fiore, Corradi, Di Vaio, ok, the Italians) and invested the money in young Spanish players imo. Provided they bought smart of course. They need to do it now because leaning into mediocrity would surely mean the end of Vicente.
Isn't that the cure for every club in trouble? Valencia can only put their hopes to Aimar and Vicente whom are the young stars. The rest are getting old and are living on past glory. It will take dramatic changes to put them bacl on track and challanging for the league title. And signing Patrick Kluivert isn't the answer.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Heh, they're going for Kluivert? Oh dear, I wouldn't have put them forward if I'd known that. He's been terrible all season here.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
If Betis kept their best players and added a couple of good signings, they could challenge for La Liga next season. Same with Sevilla, but I feel Betis have more "big" players than them. Valencia could do with some work, but the core of the squad is still the side that won the league and UEFA cup double last season. The money will be tight there, and they'll need to be extra careful with the signings.

It's not likely that Villareal will be able to get much better unless they keep ALL of their good players, which isn't likely.

But I would still like to see them in the Champions League, as reward for this season's excellent work.

I feel Villareal and Sevilla will keep the Champions League spots, and I think Valencia will do just enough to scrape into the UEFA cup.

Longer term, it's hard to judge. Several clubs have excellent teams, that could regularly push for trophies with a handful of good signings. But there are also money concerns that might destroy the good work of most of these teams. Valencia are an established European power, and they have the least work to do to get back to the level that had the whole of Europe fear them. Other than Barca, Madrid and Valencia, I don't mind if there are several teams that alternate the European positions. The league is strong enough that, on paper at least, there are several clubs that could do well in European competitions over the next several years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts