Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now with the Bosman-ruling most of us are confronted with the idea a member of the EU isn't a foreigner to the rulebook. One might wonder why we aren't sending a "National" Team to the WorldCup. Although the rest of the world might not like the idea of a squad winning every Worldcup, it might be the future of European Football. Now how would such a squad look like? Which system will be deployed? What kind of obstacles are still in the way of such an European superteam?

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I don't think that there ever will be a EU 'national' team - despite my belief that some day it will be a 'nation'. In time, there will be super-powers football-wise, which aren't particularly good now - USA, China, Japan, Cameroon, Nigeria, etc, but the European nations will be left behind. Despite this, there won't be a EU team for one reason: we've never had it before.

Many countries' national teams continue for the purpose of beating another country. The Scotland team will never win the World Cup, it's pretty safe to say, but they take enormous (and I mean ENORMOUS) pleasure when they beat (or draw against) England. I'm sure that this is the case with many 'lesser' teams. Maybe the Belgium team exists to pour scorn upon the Dutch. Maybe the Portuguese love to better than Spanish. Whatever the rivalries around Europe, I can't see an overnight change between national teams in continental teams.

Say it were to happen after the World Cup, and the European team choices Figo and Raul. Spain have just beaten Portugal 6-0 in the World Cup Final, with Raul and Morientes grabbing 3-a-piece. I don't think that Figo and Raul will feel like team mates, and I'm pretty sure that they won't play to their full potentials, so it won't happen.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Maybe particular nations will merge together in the national teams, but not the whole continent.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
But just to play along with the idea:

(4-4-2 Diamond, because it makes it easier)

GK: Oliver Kahn
RB: Lilian Thuram
CB: Alessandro Nesta
CB: Sol Campbell
LB: Bixente Lizarazu
DMC: Patrick Vieira
RM: Luis Figo
LM: Robert Pires
AMC: Zinedine Zidane
SC: Raul
SC: Thierry Henry

Of course, making the XI is the easiest part - the formation is the hardest, but with so many players available, I decided to just go for a nice and easy formation.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Quote Krijn:
"What kind of obstacles are still in the way of such an European superteam?"

Well- to state the obvious the cultural, financial etc. diversity in Europe is far to immense for a federation to be in place within decades and decades. Supposing (very hypothetical in my view) that an equality driven fiscal policy is adopted- we might have a federation some time in the future, but I don't think any of us will live to see it.

Other than that- financially speaking one European team in a WC would be suicidal, as interest from Europe would drop drastically, and it would be necessary to completely rewamp the structure of the tournament- which is to say that the number of games would drop, and from that alone the TV revenues would diminish.
Great Britain has been an exaple of a number of countries sharing policy for decades (broadly speaking- I of course know that more and more independence from London is gained all the time), while maintaining regional exclusiveness. I'm quite certain that will continue to be the foundation for Europe as a whole too- no matter the political changes.

Anyway- the lineup would be a cracker regardless :).

NB: One could institute another tournament though. A continents cup for instance if we wanted to see this thing. Europe against South America would be a treat, and Africa would have a very exciting team as well.

Ciao.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Glen said:

NB: One could institute another tournament though. A continents cup for instance if we wanted to see this thing. Europe against South America would be a treat, and Africa would have a very exciting team as well.

Ciao.
On the other hand, Oceania would just be the Australian NT ;) :dielaugh:. If u were lucky maybe a Kiwi player would make the squad and if were were to be really optimistic then perhaps a fijian player might make the cut as well....:sigh: :neutral:

On the other hand it would mean more games for our pathetically inactive NT :rollani: so i'm all for it :cool:

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
An Asian team would be quite good in about 25 years time.

Sorry, Andreas, but Oceania aren't good enough to challenge the Galactic Empire...

·
Registered
8 Posts
well if we are basing our teams on fantasy 11s at the moment then i shall choose one because if one is being serious the current elevens being deployed my France and Argentina are already too good to question...

My team in Europe would bve

1. Canizares (spain)
2. Thuram (France)
3. Lizarazu (France)
4. Ayala (Argentiana)
5. Ferdinand (england)
6. Keane (rep of Ireland)
7. Beckahm (England)
8. Zidane (France)
9. Figo (Portugal)
10 Owen (England)
11 Vieri (Italy)

Subs

Rivaldo, ronaldo (would be in first team but who knows if he will be fit), raul, henry, desailly

Hopefully i will hear some good alternatives but i do not htink they will beat my team

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that european national teams won't get worse just because all the money in football is in europe!So all the best players in the world will always play there.Which means the young european players comig through will always learn their trade playing againest the best in the world.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glen, that would be something: a continental tournament. The big clash between South-America and Europe. I wonder how an Asian team would look like :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Red Eye 007 said:

Subs

Rivaldo, ronaldo
Since when was Brazil a part of Europe? ;) If you're interpreting this as all palyers in leagues palying for that continent, that would be crazy as all the best players in the world play in European leagues... I think the idea being suggested was all players of European origin playing for Europe against all players from South America or suchlike, and hence Europe couldn't have two Brazilians on the bench ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts