5. Willy Sagnol

6. G.Neville

Left Backs:

1. Maldini

2. Roberto Carlos

3. Bixente Lizarazu

4. Ashley Cole

5. Zambrotta, again

My picks would be Thuram & Maldini or Thuram & Zambro or Zambro & Maldini.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Gary Neville?

I would say the best RB would be Thuram. I know he spent a lot of this decade playing in the middle, but the level he was playing the right back role at hasn't been replicated yet. A beast defensively and he was athletic and skillful enough to be a danger going forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r92yiVTZDo

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Cosmin Contra, Dani Alves and Sergio Ramos are better than Miguel and Gary Neville IMO.

Actually, even Salgado in his prime was better than those 2.

And BTW
Javier Zanetti is the best right back in recent times.

1. Javier Zanetti
2. Thuram
3. Cafu

The left backs seem pretty dead on.. Although I don't believe Ashley Cole has any place in that list, but I guess there hasn't been that many great left backs.

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
Yeah, Javier Zannetti and Zambrotta are the best this decade, imho.

Thuram and Maldini might be the greater players, but this decade the first two did more.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leaving Zanetti out was a terrible mistake. Actually he kept switching from RB to RM, so I just forgot him. I was very impressed by Miguel during 2004-2006.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thuram, Zanetti, and Cafu. Maybe also Roberto Carlos.

In recent times, Maicon and Sergio Ramos. Alves cannot be considered the best of recent times as he's still playing backup to Maicon on Brazil's squad.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
It's incredible how underrated Neville is. At his prime, he was a beast. Nobody could get past him, simple as that. He also offered a lot going forward and was one of the best crossers of the ball from wide areas. Nowadays he is just shit.
Still doesn't detract from how good he USED to be.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Cosmin Contra, Dani Alves and Sergio Ramos are better than Miguel and Gary Neville IMO.
:proud:

and yeah... Cafu, Carlos, Zambrotta, Maldini, Thuram are probably the best names.... Ashley Cole would have been a good candidate but he couldn't compete for the top consistently...

·
1st Tier Poster
50,803 Posts
LB Zambrotta
RB Zanetti

neither Maldini or Thuram should be considered as they've spent most of the new millenium playing as a CB

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
RB
1. Javier Zanetti
2. Gianluca Zambrotta
3. Marcos Cafu
4. Douglas Maicon
5. Daniel Alves

LB
1. Roberto Carlos
2. Juan Pablo Sorin
3. Zambrotta
4. Lizarazu

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Actually, even Salgado in his prime was better than those 2.
don´t make us laugh, only Real Madrid fans to think Salgado ever had a prime....

·
Registered
46,025 Posts
LB Zambrotta
RB Zanetti

neither Maldini or Thuram should be considered as they've spent most of the new millenium playing as a CB
As camelface would say, "+1".

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Zanetti is the best full-back of his generation for me. Absolutely monster of a player, and never seem to let up in his old age, which is still going btw ;)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts