Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that Eastern European players are very much ignored by Western media. Finally Nedved has got some recognition by winning the Ballon d'Or.

Who do you think was the best playere of the 90's from eastern europe. Players like Savicevic, Stojkovic, Jugovic, Mijatovic and Mihajlovic from Yugoslavia, (Now S&M), Boban, Prosinecki, Suker from Croatia. Stoichkov, Balakov, Lechkov from Bulgaria. Hagi, Popescu and Belodedic from Romania. Nedved and Shevchenko also deserve mention.

All these played major roles in their club's success, yet almost all of them are continuallt over looked for major personal honours in favour of playersfrom teh big countries.

My personal view is for pure talent: Savicevic or Prosinecki, for a consistent, and great performances throughout I'd say Jugovic or Boban.

I was also just wandering how Serbs and Croats end up playing together in the same clubs, it continually seems to happen.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
bôb said:
HAGI!

No contest.
Of course! :rolleyes: :D Belodedici is slow and crap. :notlist:

GO HAGI! :( :) :mad:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I think, in terms of honouring the player who made the biggest impact in the 90's- it has to be Hagi, since he was there all the while.

Most consistent EE performer would be Nedved if we went from 1995 forward. Before then I would go with Prosinecki in his Red Star years. He was amazing. Most pure technical ability for me would be Savicevic, and Stoichkov deserves mention as the most lethal striker... well... Sheva is better in my view, but he arrived a bit late.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Hagi was legendary.

Nedved is the only guy who comes close. Sheva, Suker, Boban, Stoichkov, Prosinecki may come close in terms of pure ability but nobody can be compared to King Georghe in terms of being a true legend. :star:

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
oh,well: my fave is Alexander Mostovoi...

but i have to say also: Boban, Prosinecky, Jarni, Bilic, Suker, Boksic, Jugovic, Valery Karpin, Igor Shalimov,Hagi, Stoichkov....

Oh,my God, to many:eek: ...i'm not able to choose one :eek:

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's funny though that these players all contributed so much to the massive clubs they played for, Hagi and Stoichkov at Barca, Savicevic and Boban at Milan, Suker and Mijatovic at Real, these players were key players at the biggest sides in Europe, where would Milan be now without Sheva or Juve without Nedved.

And Belodedic, is in the history books at the first player to win the EC with 2 different clubs.

I would also like to ask you to name your top EE side of the 90's.

I don't know who to put in goal though cuz that is what's not produced too well. I'd probably play a 3-5-2, to fit all the midfielders, also I might lean to more serb and croat players.

GK. ??????
CB. Mihajlovic
CB. Bilic
CB. Popescu

DM. Boban
DM. Jugovic

LM. Hagi
RM. Savicevic
AM. Prosinecki

FW.Stoichkov
FW.Suker/ Mijatovic (would have them as a tandem want to have Stoichkov in it)

Now what a team that would be
:D :D

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Its funny because when I first saw the headline I thought Hagi staright away, and I was surprised to see the topic was about who is the best EE player of the '90s and not something specifically about him. :rolleyes:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Hagi?? He did a good WC with his NT in the WC94. But what else... I don't know much about his Romanian career. He failed in Real Madrid, he failed in Barcelona. He did well in Galatasaray, but the Turkish league is not so big as other ones.

IMO, the best of the 90s has been Hristo Stoichkov, in fact, if I am not wrong, he has been the only Eastern European player with a Golden Ball in 1994. He did great in Barça, he made Bulgaria big, he was top scorer in the WC 1994.

It's difficult to say who's the best, personally, I've chosen Stoichkov, but Mijatovic, Suker, Savicevic or Boban would deserve it too. Hagi is not at the same level of those players, IMO.

:)

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Hagi was incredibly talented, even if he didn't shine in Spain.
To me, he's on the same level to Boban, Savicevic, Prosinecki and co.

But I'd take Stoichkov and Sheva over all of them.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Hagi was great. So was Stoichkov and Suker has to be up there as well.

But I truly believe, the wa he's going. Pavel Nedved is on route to being the greatest player ever from that region.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I'd say Stoichkov and Nedved. What really sets them apart from the rest is the sheer determination and desire to win obvious when they play.

Hagi? IMO, Savicevic was better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think Stoitchkov was the best in the 90s. He was dynamite with Barca and he took a nation that never had won a WC match to a 3rd place finsih. Nedved has been good to start this decade. But thus decade will be Sheva's decade. He hasn't yet hit his peak and will be around for many more years. IMO, before it is all said and done Sheva will be the greatest Eastern European player ever. Maybe Puskas will be the only one considered better.

·
Registered
59,050 Posts
Savicevic IMO followed by Suker, Jugovic, Boban, Mihalovic or Stoichkov. All proved it in the big leagues. Balakov to a lesser extent too starring in the Bundesliga

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
In my opinion Hristo Stoichkov stands out from the others. Hagi, Savicevic, Boban and Balakov may come close, but none of them had the same impact as Hristo.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Anomander Rake said:
Hagi? IMO, Savicevic was better.
I agree. Hagi was around for longer I guess and Savicevic never always got the chance to shine in big tournaments. I remember his brilliance being the difference in many of Milan's wins during their golden period.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts