Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season Barca managed to score only 1 goal on this defence. we had the best defence in the league. yet as it stands we have conceded 11 goals in 5 games at home and 5 in 5 away, 16 in 10 games.

13 teams have a better defensive record than us which includes 2 teams in the relegation spots.

what are we doing wrong? the goals we are conceding are just comical. last night against Malaga you wouldnt be blamed if you thought the makeup of the back 4 were impostors.

as a team there are a few things ive noticed

1. our closing down. yesterday we were only closing down in our own half. against malaga at home we allowed them to bring the ball up all the way to the half way line before we even thought about getting it back. and hte only person who then started closing down was Higuain.
  2. Heinze and Cannavaro - they are just shit. heinze was alright but now hes as bad if not worse than cannavaro. all the goals yesterday were down to their incompetence
  3. why arent we using Metzelder? give him a chance he cant be any worse than those two.
  4. as a team we defend like headless chickens. our midfield doesnt know whether to take a step forward or backwards. not only that but they cant hold the ball. we arent asking them to play like arsenal or something, but they should be decent enough to hold it for a few seconds to look for a good pass.

[*]1000 central midfielders and they all look like they're stepping on each others foot. they dont know who should do what, opposition comes and takes the ball and scores

[*]Ramos is having a shocker.

[*]Casillas is not his Godly self anymore. i would love to know how many saves hes made, but it cant be many.
one sunny summer in 2008, the whole team forgot how to defend.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Bernd Schuster was happy with the victory and said that Ramos' red card made the team even stronger.

"We were forced to replace Sneijder with Míchel Salgado in order to balance the team. The fact that we had one player less on the pitch didn't change our tactics. We always thought we could win the match."

"The penalty and Ramos' red card made us stronger. We proved to grow stronger against adversity last year. We are the only team capable of this, but I would prefer to win some other way."

"We hardly have time for anything. We have a new game every three days. Victories like this boost our morale and we have to try to improve on our mistakes in our next fixtures. We hardly have time to work in our training sessions, but this victory has made the team psychologically stronger."

sounds like ..................oh yes ,he doesnt care about defense more

if he really improved every time as he said, we are already the best team in the world

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hes been saying we have to improve our mistakes since we played Deportivo. we havent improved anything, we've gone backwards.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
i guess in his world , improve means " find a better excuse next time "

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Its really a problem , first of all each match we play with different backine , when Marcelo and Ramos are playing they are attacking all the way and nobody to cover the gaps behind them , and as usual at our stadium we are exposed defensively ..

and not to forget , If we are trying to apply the offside trap Heinze will simply ruins it up :pp

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Excellent points, Reddy.

Schuster has his work cut out trying to make us more tight at the back. It starts with inspiring an attitude in the whole team to make a concrete effort to defend collectively. The midfield and forwards need to defend higher up the pitch and press/harass the opposition into mistakes long before they penetrate our back line.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Schuster don't have the capability to impose anything on the team since he is clueless himself...

·
poco loco
3,657 Posts
Schuster don't have the capability to impose anything on the team since he is clueless himself...
so, it is less clueless to blame everything on Schuster? One guy responsible for all the faults? ok! seems professional football is very easy and i really should try to get a job there....

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I had been saying to myself that this season is an emotional let down after 2 la ligas andthe euros from last summer that some players are finding it hard mentally to get themselves prepared for the season...

but this is only an excuses and were lucky to be only 2 points off the pace.

the season is long and each contending club will experience fatigue and a down fortune in play. as long as we can weather the storm we will be fine. the only problem we dont have room for error as Barca is playing much better

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
wrong thread

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
31 goals in 18 matches, and every single defensive combination has been played. and 2 goalkeepers have been used.

what's happening!

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Isn't it obvious that it's Schuster's fault??

Isn't it obvious the defence don't play a system?? Each player plays his own style. It worked last season because Pepe was in top form and Casillas was saving our asses. Ohh and we had a right back for a change, Ramos is still in Austria/Swiss.

He should leave, he's too dependant on the player's. He doesn't impose a system. Its been two years and we still don't know HOW and WHAT is the team's strategy or tactics. Its just passing the ball around until we get lucky, mainly due to defensive errors and some sort of magic from our players.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
what I cant get is how can the best defense in the league become the worst in Europe? WTF happened? :mad:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Schuster shares some of the blame but its not entirely his fault, the players must share some of the blame. How is it his fault that Ramos, Casillas, Cannavaro, Heinze, and Pepe (not as bad as the others before Josh kills me) look like imbecils out there? They are making such silly and amatuerish mistakes that you just cant coach them. I still fail to see what purpose Gago serves on the pitch other than get in his own teammates way, i honestly see nothing in him as a defensive midfielder or a central midfielder since he doesnt really defend well and doesnt attack well either.

The players are just as guilty of this as Schuster is, they really have been stinking it up lately.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
Schuster shares some of the blame but its not entirely his fault, the players must share some of the blame. How is it his fault that Ramos, Casillas, Cannavaro, Heinze, and Pepe (not as bad as the others before Josh kills me) look like imbecils out there? They are making such silly and amatuerish mistakes that you just cant coach them. I still fail to see what purpose Gago serves on the pitch other than get in his own teammates way, i honestly see nothing in him as a defensive midfielder or a central midfielder since he doesnt really defend well and doesnt attack well either.

The players are just as guilty of this as Schuster is, they really have been stinking it up lately.
well, I actually thought Gago was one of the few that actually fought yesterday and I saw him recover quite a few balls.

But I agree that Diarra is more of a vac infront of the defense and as long as Diarra is out, we have to live with Gago.

I always thought Cannavaro was the boss of the defense. but there is absolutely no communication there. Sure we havnt had the same defense line for 2 consecutive games. But thats no excuse that the players seem not to even care. But not only defense. Our midfield is loosing it. Sneijder and Van der Vaart are way behind their normal form.

Agreed its the share of both players and coach. And I do find it a shame, that the defense amateurishly throws it away. I mean there are no nobodies there. All -except Marcelo- experienced national players. Whats missing is coherency.

Now its on the coach to solve that problem they have, whatever it is.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
maybe he is the last coach think JAVI gacia is a CB

and only one player defense in midfield ,its so funny

·
Registered
59,987 Posts
The Solution, ladies and gents:

:pp

Come to think of it - Nico and Gabi will probably lead Diego back to snifing the good stuff.. Poor guy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts