Xtratime Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK we all know why the BBC bothered to get the Milan derby... David Beckham was playing (even if he was absolute crap). However I have to applaud their presentation of the Milan Derby and the game itself gave Serie A a great lift. Long of the days when Bravo and Channel 5 were doing micky mouse coverage of Italian football, and commentating on the game from a toilet somewhere in their studio. The BBC bothered to get their commentators over to the stadium so that the viewers at home could also enjoy the atmosphere of the great occasion as well as the excellent football on show. OK it was a one off so for the BBC this was less expensive, but looking back, they may even regret not putting this at least on BBC2, although with so many people having cable of some kind nowadays most were able to see the game on BBC3. Talking to people I know the next day, or seeing their status on facebook that night, you were able to see that many people realised that Serie A isnt the crap that many believe it to be. Of course the Milan derby was one of the better games this season so we shouldnt over react to it on the general level to Serie A, but Serie A is no more the league many in England thought it to be in the 90's, maybe the teams and players arent as great, but the football is exciting and many teams play adventerous 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 systems as well as the 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. The tactical variety in Serie A is what makes it exciting to us all.

Going back to the coverage of the BBC, they got Roy Hodgson in with a regular Alan Hansen, even though Hansen openly admitted he rarely watched Serie A in the past years, he was one of those to praise the game for its intensity and excitement. Hodgson is a great get, he knows Inter and Italian football inside out, and his knowledge made it wortwhile to listen to the opening and closing of the programme. The commentators were also very good, describing the atmosphere as fantastic (despite being scared as heck as they said) and also praising the game. OK it was the game more than anything, which made me write this, but at last since the coverage of Channel 4 all them years ago, I finally got to watch an Italian football match where the coverage and presentation of the game was excellent. I actually now hope the BBC can get Italian football next season, particularly if Beckham stays, Mourinho stays and the possibility that 1 more English player arrives in Italy before too long. However, the only problem is the BBC will not pay for the package if they are only to put it in BBC3 all season and putting the games on their main channels is a bit of a risk in viewing figures.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Best possible advertisement for Serie A...I thought that was a great match. Individual skill, tackling, nice tactical play, everything that Italian football is at its best, and with a much higher tempo than usual. Easily the best football match I've seen in 2009...

·
Registered
48,489 Posts
I think that Lampard and Gerrard are the two only English players who could be interesting for an Italian club and the Milanese clubs are the ones who could afford to buy highly rated EPL players.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Apart from the commentary being ahead of the game in the first half, then yes, it was refreshing to see good live coverage on English television.

I don't see the BBC taking the Serie A rights full time though.

·
Administrator
53,562 Posts
I think the commentary being ahead thing, was an italian problem, not UK one, same here in Sweden and elsewhere etc.

But weird that a big football loving nation, needs one of their overthehill players to view of the best leagues in the world, in one the biggiest football games around, played in of the most successful football nation ever. What happend to simple footie interest? Weird to be so insular, if thats a correct way to put it.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think many people didnt just watch this because of Beckham, alot of people viewed this because it was Milan v Inter.

I would be grateful if anyone was to take the Serie A rights for next season, but it would be alot better if it was someone such as Sky (unlikely) or the BBC who have very good coverage of their sport.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to know Serie A got good coverage :thumbsup:

Do they show Liga there?

Let us speculate who :)

I say Lampard to Inter.
Yes La Liga can be viewed on Sky Sports over here and its safe to say the coverage of La Liga is incredible. They show 3 or 4 matches per weekend.

As for the English player to England. Lampard is a possibility, however there was rumours of Jenas in January :rolleyes:

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Yes La Liga can be viewed on Sky Sports over here and its safe to say the coverage of La Liga is incredible. They show 3 or 4 matches per weekend.

As for the English player to England. Lampard is a possibility, however there was rumours of Jenas in January :rolleyes:
All the more reason not to show Italian football then.

Italian football needs a Gascoigne character, a straight laced Platt type, and a shit defender type Des Walker.

Rooney, Lampard, and any English defender would do.:howler:

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Glad to hear they praised Serie A. It's so sad to see Italian football not to be as highly regarded as it should be.

The BBC got 750 000 viewers for this program (yes, BBC3!) and astonishingly, the price for the entire Serie A season is £10 000 000. That's ridiculously cheap, considering the Premier League is closer to 1 billion.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think to be fair to the average English football fan they aren't complete dimwits... I think they would have known at least 75% of the players on the pitch in the Milan derby.

The fact is many view the Brazil NT as this wonderful thing and then think Inter v Milan is going to be some snorefest... the fact is a large part of that Brazil NT played in this Milan derby so its a contradiction :pp

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
No way. Your general football fan will have definitely heard of Kaka. Adriano or Stankovic, maybe. But certainly not Kaka. He's a world star.
Exactly, they would have heard of his name, probably from the WC or CL, but they would know nothing about him and care even less! Unless you have played or coached in the EPL you are a nobody in England.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Exactly, they would have heard of his name, probably from the WC or CL, but they would know nothing about him and care even less! Unless you have played or coached in the EPL you are a nobody in England.
nah, that's not true. They definitely haven't got much time for Serie A, but then i don't have much time for the Premiership or La Liga, but they know the bigger players/teams. Its hard to know much about another league if there isn't much coverage. I for example would like to watch a bit of Bbundesliga but no tv coverage apart for the net makes it difficult for me to bother watching it on streams.

Its normal for someone from a country that has a big footballing tradition (and a league that is as popular as the premiership is now) to only really care about their own league

1 - 18 of 18 Posts