Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this deserves its own thread.

We have been talking about Nesta return, backline options etc, but what is actually concerning me more is the attack. We are in March now, and quite frankly i am not certain who should start, and get the call up. Realistically we can see 5-6 forwards/strikers getting called up for WC. Depending what Lippi prefers he could put in a wide attacking player somewhere there, Totti called up as a midfielder and so on.

So lets see, the options possible are these:

-Gilardino (been a regular for Lippi, chances for WC: almost certain)
-Pazzini (again, another regularly called up player, quite likely candidate)
-Iaquinta (till his injury problems Lippi used him often, quite likely but depends what form will he establish after a long injury layoff)
-Di Natale (personally i dont think he is a player who makes a difference and i prefer Iaquinta for wide role, but if you look back, Lippi often has called him up, so that means he def has a case for call up and if he wins the Capocannoniere its a bonus)
-Totti (Lippi wants him, Totti considers coming back as well, important member of this team, if Lippi wants him, he will call him for WC)
-Balotelli (Lippi is considering him, but he hasnt played a single game for the NT yet)
-G. Rossi (been a regular for Lippi, very likely candidate)
-Boriello (is in good form and you need players in form for WC)
-Matri (small chance)
-Del Piero (with Lippi always a possibility)
-Amauri (he apparently got his passport)
-Luca Toni (came back to Italy for NT spot)
-Quagliarella (been called up every now and then)
-Pepe (good in blowjobs?)

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
I think we are making a big meal out of it. Iaquinta and Gilardino are good strikers that were missing. Today's friendly indicates just as much problem getting the ball up to the forwards than actual forward problems. This is something that is normal and due to overall play in friendlies. The effort is always lower especially for guys like Pirlo.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
We will take 2 or, most likely, 3 prima puntas. The sensible major candidates are:

Iaquinta, Gilardino, Boriello, Pazzini

The sensible minor candidates, those who should also be tried as a starter or a squad player, are:

Toni, Pellisier

....and that's it. Am I missing any "sensible" (No, that doesn't include Amauri or the likes.) ones?

From the above, very tough to pick 3. I just hope that at least one of them will step up big time or be in great form come summer.

For the second striker role:

Totti, Miccoli, Balotelli, Cassano,...

...umm those are the only good ones. The talent is there (not so much with Balotelli, yet), the rest is up to Lippi. I just hope that he'll pick one of them.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not saying its a problem Camelface, instead the question who really get those 5-6 spots in the squad. For instance, Gila and Iaquinta are important and needed, but if you add Totti, and then in form player like Boriello, you already have 4 spots. Like i said its possible that certain players will be called as midfielders, but there are many players who could still make the WC, like i said, DP always possible with Lippi. Amauri been waiting for his passport, for what reason if not the WC spot?

How many friendlies have we left till the WC? 2 or 3? Time is running out for experimenting but just like i listed, there are a fair share of players hoping for that WC spot. And even Lippi is probably not sure on all options. He might have 2-3 starters, but you always have to consider form and the difference a player can or can not make for NT level/play.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

For the second striker role:

Totti, Miccoli, Balotelli, Cassano,...

...umm those are the only good ones. The talent is there (not so much with Balotelli, yet), the rest is up to Lippi. I just hope that he'll pick one of them.
You actually doubt who Lippi will choose from those 4? :eek: :howler:

Its Totti 99%, Balo 1%. Miccoli & Cassano -(minus) 95%

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
I would bring;

Gilardino
Balotelli
Iaquinta
G Rossi
Di Natale
Totti

Yes I think our out and out strikers suck...:smileani:

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
I don't think Lippi will call Balotelli, our most prolific attacker at the moment because of his silly grudges, or Miccoli. I fear Totti won't be in good enough shape. I don't want Guiseppe Rossi. So that leaves Gila, DiNatale, Pazzini, Borriello, Cossu, and knowing Lippi, Toni. :eek:

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
I don't think Lippi will call Balotelli, our most prolific attacker at the moment because of his silly grudges, or Miccoli. I fear Totti won't be in good enough shape. I don't want Guiseppe Rossi. So that leaves Gila, DiNatale, Pazzini, Borriello, Cossu, and knowing Lippi, Toni. :eek:
:cry:

I hate you Roma for bringing him back to Italy...:frustrat::scream::groan::mad::thmbdown: :doh::notlist:

Seriously FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCKKK YYYYOOOOU!!!!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
DN, gilardino, borriello, iaquinta, balotelli/totti/no one else

this should be the attack
Agreed, I hope Totti goes. I personally would call Miccoli before Di Natale in an ideal world, but I know its unrealistic. So I would settle for DN, Gila, Bori, Iaq and Totti.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
:cry:

I hate you Roma for bringing him back to Italy...:frustrat::scream::groan::mad::thmbdown: :doh::notlist:

Seriously FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCKKK YYYYOOOOU!!!!
If we consider him to the current forwards he is useful, if only for the overall play because he wins alot of aerial balls, but indeed I would not call him.

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
I honestly don't think there is too much danger with Toni. If he gets called it is only because he has beaten out the other candidates such as Borriello and Gilardino, which will probably be difficult to do considering Borriello is playing for Milan.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
If Toni continues to score for Roma, then I have no problems with him being in the squad. Just not as a starter as his international form has never matched his club level form (where he has been a prolific scorer).

I mean really, if Toni comes back from injury for Roma and scores 10 goals, he would be the most in form attacker we have. Sad but true.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Indeed it would make sense to call the bet 2 out of Borriello, Toni, Pazzini, Gilardino that are on form at the time. Personally I would call Iaquinta anyway just because he gives more than just an option of prima punta, as long as he is fit enough to go. Gilardino should go really, he is a goalscorer and can be useful from the bench in some matches, plus he is the top goalscorer in this Lippi reign. The other option will go to who is on form from the other 3. I do not think Pazzini is ready to go. I would use him after the World Cup though. Borriello, as camelface says, has a huge chance as he is a starter in Milan now, and well Toni only has a chance if he scores nearly a goal per game from now on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts