Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:fero: :fero: :fero:

Or the thread to post your pet hates and things that annoy you at the football.

1. Short corners. Rangers are awful at corners anyway (Is it so much to ask for players to practice their corner kicks?) but these bloody short corners have never resulted in a goal scoring chance, never mind a goal over the last 2 years. Yet they continue doing it time and time again. :wallbang:

Hopefully the complete disaster of the corner last night has finally got it through to their thick heads that it just doesn't work.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
This has been going on for far too long. What are those short corners all about? The fans at one point last night really started to get annoyed when Vignal went over to Ricksen to take a short corner. Absoloutely dreadful and it's been going on for a number of weeks. Short corners aside the delivery in general has been awful as far back as the CSKA Moscow games.

2. Lone Striker. We lost our last to European games partly through bad defending but more importantly because we failed to score in either game. This is hardly surprising when you play with a lone striker, very annoying when you play that way at home. Last night again, just like against Alkmarr, Prso was left to chase a long high ball up the park on his own and if he did win the ball he was expected to hold on to it. It was embarassing and once again I felt really sorry for him. The guy was playing in the Champions League final last season- that's not his game. To add to that Novo once again is employed as a right winger.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Nice idea TB, but I thought I was going to be able to do an XT version of primal scream therapy.

I'd go even further than slagging off our corner's. We waste far too many free-kicks as well. Our strength is obviously the height we've got at set-pieces, so why do the player's not just get the ball into the box. Instead, as last night showed, they take a short one with the receiving player not having a clue what to do with the ball. I've been watching us take free-kicks like this for at least 2 years and have no idea why we still do it. By now, any time I see it happen I just laugh and put it down as another one from the training ground.

As you put it as things that annoy you at the football, i'd honestly have to say our fans. I'm so sick of listening to people shouting and singing the most ridiculous things i've ever heard. The worst ones, the ones i'm really fed up of, are in the minority, but you always find yourself sitting pretty close to them. At least it does seem to be getting better. I actually heard some guy arguing with another over his red hand flag. I'm not particularly politically aware about what this flag stands for, but I don't really care. I don't want to see it at Ibrox.

Apart from the bigots, i'm really sick of the amount of neds at Ibrox. Everywhere you look it's baseball caps and gaudy tracksuits. I know the club has no control over this. but it does bother me that so many of them are Rangers supporters. Anyway, that's about all I can think of at the minute.

to be continued...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I think you are right Angle that on the upside there is not as much as there used to be. I remember years ago when I used to go on the supporters bus it was everywhere you looked. Now it's not as bad and hopefully it will keep going in that direction.

When I used to go to every game though in the early nineties no one wore an England top. As a patriot that really annoys me to see Scotsman wearing England tops because they feel they should as a Rangers fan. It's shocking and disgusts me.

Neds can't be helped though unfortunately. They are everywhere you go. They obviously think they look smart :howler:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
What worries me is that i've recently been looking in on the message board of our major fanzine. I really cannot believe the amount of bullsh!t that's said on there. If I or you were to post, we would get a hell of a lot of abuse.

Don't say that, i've not given up hope of a ned Running Man...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
1. Short corners.
Mincecfc and Teddy Bear in agreement shocker !!!!!!

One of my pet hates in football, what a total waste of an opportunity. IMO, a well delivered ball into the area has an approx 30/70 chance of resulting in a goal. When Celtic had Lubo Moravcik, his corners were lethal, I cannot for the life of me understand why we cannot detail a player to do the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
... .. Yes, to play practically without midfielders in general obviously hardly. Cunningly that McLeish already using Ricksen there. In my opinion, our tactics is too primitive for EuroCups for today . As a matter of fact, distant passing a ball from defenders to forwards, and combinational game isn't present in general... If in Scotland it still helps, in Europe is useless.
The same concerns also free kicks, corners, etc. Gers aren't able to use at all them and simply doesn't know what to do with a ball in such cases... In general about that, it's possible to talk long still... :wallbang: :wallbang:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time for this thread again

:fero: :fero: :fero:

The Long Ball. :yuck:

Even if it works I don't much like it as a style of play but I guess I could swallow my feelings and put up with it. But only if it was successful. When it clearly doesn't work, when the team is so obviously not suited to playing it, when the opposition is well suited to defending it it yet the manager persists in playing it. Then nothing pisses me off more!

If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there - Brian Clough

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I don't think McLeish done alot wrong last night and although the scoreline would suggest otherwise the stats show Rangers dominated the game. I would agree though that he played the long ball far too early. Whatever tactics he was employing seemed to be thrown out the window 8 minutes into the game after Dundee United scored. He did though react to the Rangers support that were getting on the team's back.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It would be inaccurate to call these 24 'efforts' on goal shots. There were plenty of pitiful efforts amongst the real shots. I don't blame McLeish for the tactics. We all knew we'd struggle for creativity last night. What I do blame him for is buying the players that f***** up. You can argue about financial constraints all you want, but he brought the likes of Vignal, Rae, and Namouchi to the club.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
If you compare that game to the 1-1 draw at home to Inverness then it was a big difference. It was just one of those nights whereas the Inverness game was jsut a bad performance. Who would have thought Prso, in the form he's been in, would miss an open goal? If that had gone in we'd have scored 3 or 4 more at least. Novo again was the biggest culrpit but we could have played there all night and not scored.

On those players you mentioned I sort of agree with you. Alex Rae was great last year but has just turned dud for some reason. Why the likes of Alex Rae, Namouchi, Malcolm, Lovenkrands and Arveladze are still getting chances for the first team while Mladenovic was shipped out is beyond me- that was a mistake. Vignal is a strange one. We played well against Motherwell so he had to play him, before that I'd agree he didn't deserve a first team place.

My only criticisms of McLeish on Tuesday were his tactics and subs. He went long ball too early in the match. He let the crowd get to him in that regard and when he decided to do that although he was wrong to do so he should have brought on Thompson for Namouchi. Playing that tyoe of game there is no point having a link man on the park watching the ball go over his head all the time.

What I would have done was remove Namouchi at half time, although he was not the worst player on the pitch and did create some good chances. I would have taken him off though to go 4-4-2 and introduce Burke.

I think we all realise that we need more depth in the squad. The injury to Andrews, conceding goals and lack of scoring has shown we need another quality striker and centre half added to the squad. There is still alot of dead wood in that dressing room that needs turfed out too.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
So you think playing long balls was down to McLeish? From the opening minutes I just thought we had no idea how to play through the midfield. United always had 10 men in their own half, and we failed to pass the ball through them. Any time we tried to probe our way through the middle, we invariably had to pass the ball backwards to Malcolm or Kyrgiakos. Once we realised we couldn't play an effective passing game, the only option was to keep hoofing the ball up the park, which is a pretty crappy state of affairs.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I do. McLeish wanted them to get the ball forward quickly. That seemed to be the response- big hoof up the park. That's been our problem for a while against teams who play to defend. We take so long to build up the play that the opposition have already got everyone behind the ball. Even Ross was kicking the ball back to Waterreus to start an attack.

I think for those kind of games you need to use the width because the middle of the park is usually too crowded. Burke would have given us something we were missing. The other option is to use the pace up front to stretch defenders if you have it. We had Novo and Lovenkrands on there but that didn't seem to get utilised either.

I'm just going to forget about this one and think of it as a bad day at the office. I'm looking forward to 3 points of Sunday now- hopefully.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I actually thought Lovenkrands did quite well when he came on. He ran at the full-back several times and got to the byeline. That's what we want from him, but for some reason he doesn't do it enough. I'd start him in place of Vignal on Sunday.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Fair enough, I've just gone past the point of seeing him being anything other than an overpaid blouse. If he can get back to the form he showed when McLeish arrived then I'll be happy but if he's just going to let himself be carried through matches like every other game this season then I want him put in a big cannon and fired back to Denmark.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Obviously one half-decent 20 minute performance is not going to turn me into a Lovenkrands fan, but there were signs of the play that we should expect from a left winger. He has it all to prove, and he's probably only got another 6 games to prove he's got a future. I think Lovenkrands would beat Vignal in a fight as well...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
No way! Lovenkrands would get his ass kicked off a 12 year old girl. Vignal is no hard man but he'd slap Peter around good and proper. :happy:

Against Dunfermline Lovenkrands may get his chance as we can afford to play one of the midfielders offensively. If Buffel isn't fit I would actually try Lovenkrands in his position. I seem to remember Lovenkrands getting some joy through the middle when McLiesh arrived.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Nah chivo, we'll agree to disagree :D. You used the correct word about Vignal's fighting style, "slap". I think Lovenkrands is the type of guy that would get really pissed off after getting slapped in the face a few times. He'd boot Vignal into next week.

Maybe we should have a fighting thread? :happy:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
A fighting thread would be good. A sort of Rangers death match. :happy:

I did neglect to say that the slap was just for good measure to round things off. If Vignal was to just nip Lovenkands he'd start crying hysterically. The slap would just be to straighten him out.

Gregory's surname might be bordering on "viginal" but that's where the femininity stops in comparison to Lovenkrands. Pete is an obvious scratcher, biter and geenral hair puller. I'll bet he throws like a girl too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts