Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 1119 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE: Arsenal line up £20m Russian striker Arshavin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1099179/EXCLUSIVE-Arsenal-line-20m-Russian-striker-Arshavin.html

Arsenal are preparing a club record £20million bid for Russia forward Andrei Arshavin in a dramatic move to bolster their squad this January.

Gunners manager Arsene Wenger is breaking his habit of holding back transfer cash and Arshavin, the Zenit St Petersburg front man who was at the club's London Colney training ground last week, is expected to join early next month.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Daily Mail might not be so credible in general but they're usually spot on with their "exclusives", even though it's hard to see AW spending the cash like that - no less so on a CL cup-tied player.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I hate this CL cup-tied excuse. Fact is, it shouldn't be an excuse or a reason not to get a genuinely good player who is going to improve the team. You wouldn't turn down Cristiano Ronaldo just because he can't play in a tournament we're not exactly likely to win, are you? :pp Any player brought to this club in January needs to only fill one criteria: will they help improve this team and allow us finish 4th min. so the bills get paid next year?

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, it shouldn't matter if he's cup-tied for the CL.

Theo is out until February and I think AW has given up on Rosicky. Arshavin would be a major coup.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
It would also wind up Spurs fans. :shades:

Still, it needs to be Arshavin (if true) + a proper defensive midfielder.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
it won't matter that he's cup tied, Adebayor was signed cup-tied, Arshavin would be a perfect signing. :hopeful:

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
OH YES PLEASE.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Do not believe a word of it but one can hope.

That old line about "cup tied in CL" is a red herring. The CL is a long shot for Arsenal in the first place. However the club's position in the league is A LOT more precarious - and signing a top player or in fact maybe even two of them, is vital if we are to qualify for CL.

Otherwise that revenue stream is DEAD next year and not only does seriously reduce the chance of signing top players come next summer but it quite possibly could mean Cesc, Adebayor, RVP etc simply say "enough of this shit" and demand to be sold. Simply two top players signed in January would contribute quite a lot to securing the club CL revenue next season, also despite what Gooners would hope this years CL is a long shot at best, a club that cannot defeat Stoke, Fulham or Hull is NOT going to win the CL.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Another creative central midfielder? We needed a winger or a DM last time I checked.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Another creative central midfielder? We needed a winger or a DM last time I checked.
We need a lot.

As Arseblog perfectly outlined a few days ago when speaking of the reborn Barca
"they're a fantastic team playing some fantastic football at the moment. It's funny how, after two seasons in the relative doldrums, they solved their problems by ... it's revolutionary I know ... buying some better players than the ones they already had."

We need more width, more creativity, more experience, grit, character etc etc etc. Perhaps it may not be Arshavin but we sure as hell better be active in the transfer market come January as Villa will not gift us 4TH as Spurs did in 06.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Read about him being in London recently with his wife. He is one of the best players in the world to watch. Genuine class. Would be great to see him in the shirt and shows that the club are actively seeking to do something with the threat of Aston Villa looming ever bigger but believe when we see it. However good he is this team is still missing badly a presence in the midfield to go along with Cesc. Arshavin will help a lot creatively with this team but the issue about us being brittle in the centre still remains.

Neebz he can play out wide. His crossing and inter play from wide positions is very good. There is no other place for him in the team with Cesc in the middle unless he is going to play just off behind one striker.

And agreed about not worrying about him being cuptied for the CL. The priorty has to be those CL places for next season.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
It's still just a rumour, but if it happens, I'll be more than happy. He's a quality player with great passing, vision and pace.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
What a great signing would be, I was hoping to see him in blue, but it won't happen. Anyway, he deserves a great team like you. Good luck against Liverpool!

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I'd love to see you sign Arshavin definitely. I'd rather see him in a proper football side than go somewhere he wouldn't fit in. Arsenal are perfect for him. He could be your new Pires.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
i dont see us spending 20mil pounds on this guy
True.

Still we need some signifcant reinforcements, as is we're headed into UEFA cup and even AW knows he can't put any positive spin on that.

1 - 20 of 1119 Posts