Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across an interesting post on another forum and wanted to know the opinions of the fans of one of the biggest clubs today (who did follow football in the early nineties):

"The Ajax Amsterdam of 1993-1996 is the last team in the world to play so called "Total Football". "Total Football" is a very flexible and when mastered very effective way of playing football, it is also very difficult to make work in practice, and that is why not many teams even dare to try it.
Ajax 93-96 mastered it splendidly and took Europe like a whirlwind, going to Santiago Bernabeu to win Real Madrid 0-4, making the legendary AC Milan side look like a serie C side at San Siro. They won the European League 1994-1995 with ease, and also looked certain to win it in 1995-96, only to lose to Juventus in the final, a result which no-one dared to predict. After that season, in the summer 1996 the team sold majority of their best players to finance their new stadium. Also the brains behind their brand of football, Louis Van Gaal, left soon after. And Ajax is still to recover.

But for 3 years they played football on a level never achieved since then. Not even by the teams like Real Madrid, Bayern Munchen Manchester United or Juventus."

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I have to agree for the most part. I enjoyed watching that team a lot. I certainly rooted for them whenever they took on the giant teams in European competitions (except Real, of course). After all, at the time, who really realized how good they were? We would only see that later on, once we had the chance to look at the team's accomplishments in retrospect.

Overmars, Litmanen, Kluivert, Seedorf, Davids, Van der Sar, the DeBoers, Reiziger, Bogarde, Babangida, hmmm... I'm forgetting some others but no matter. What's not to like?

Possession football that drove a lot of teams nuts. Overmars and Litmanen supplying balls steadily into attack. The team was highly underrated because no one really watched Dutch league football.

Whether I agree with the implication that they were better than any team today though is another matter. I'll stay clear of trying to compare teams of different periods. That's a can of worms that has no definite answer.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There have been treads about this in the Dutchforum. I'll look for them later. Anyway I was a big admirer of Ajax back then, I always liked them as a club and as a team.

Anyway, they 'just' won 0-2 in Bernabeu, but it could have been more ( a couple of balls against the post and stuff ) The Real fans gave Ajax a standing ovation after that game. I think that their team reached their highpoint in that game. Simply brilliant how they blew the Madrid team of the young Raul and Zamorano away.

I believe that great Ajax was truely gone since their early exit in their last CL against Porto. They lost chanceless with 3-0. I remember that the commentator kept on repeating. ' This is the end of a generation', 'this is the end of an historical period'

To compare the Ajax of that period with any other team of the '90? Well the only teams that have shown the same flair during that period were perhaps Man U, the early '90 Milan or the recent Real team ( I am not baised, you see:D)

The thing with Ajax is that their succes was based on their unique club policy. And that is something that will probably never be seen again......:(

ADRIAAN
_______

·
Registered
833 Posts
In my opinion, the succes came from two factors, the ajax policy (an attacking 3-4-3 or even 3-3-4 formation) and more importantly a young and ambitious squad who were willing to listen to their manager Louis van Gaal. Because of their youth van Gaal could (and did) form them perfectly.

The fact that the hunger and ambition is gone (and the players' bank accounts have grown) shows because a lot of the players are in the Dutch squad (kluivert, overmars, davids, de boer (2x) vd sar, melchiot but haven't qualified for the upcoming world championship (no disrespect to the portugese and the irish!).

The ajax system has failed since (luckily for me as Feyenoord fan) because they are playing 4-4-2, a system that is better played in other european countries, and therefor no dutch team will ever reach the CL final again

·
Registered
470 Posts
I remembered after their famous 2-0 victory in Bernabeu, Real Madrid manager at the time, Jorge Valdano, said that Ajax was "The Football Utopia".

I studied in the USA at the time, after WC 94, ESPN was willing to boardcast Champion Cup match live. So luckly I could watch that Ajax team in full glory. Too bad the Bosman verdict (though justify) destory the team. Fortunately for Real Madrid fan, Van Gaal foolishly tried to "clone" the team in FCB, and needless to say, failed. Instead, he should built a new team first by improve the younth school, buying two or three Ajax veterans was enough.

That's the opinons from a neutral La Liga watcher.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Kyo said:
They won the European League 1994-1995 with ease, and also looked certain to win it in 1995-96, only to lose to Juventus in the final, a result which no-one dared to predict. After that season, in the summer 1996 the team sold majority of their best players to finance their new stadium. Also the brains behind their brand of football, Louis Van Gaal, left soon after. And Ajax is still to recover.

But for 3 years they played football on a level never achieved since then. Not even by the teams like Real Madrid, Bayern Munchen Manchester United or Juventus."
Ajax were definitely a fantastic side then playing some really great football, there is no doubt of that. Im not sure about Ajax beating Milan with ease, it was a close (and dull) game with not many chances and I remember Kluivert stabbing home the ball to win the game.

Your last comment is debatable and imo I would certainly put Juve above Ajax. As for Real, I think only time will tell but if we are not a par yet we are not too far.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Re: The AJAX of 8 years ago..

Hoseman said:

Ajax were definitely a fantastic side then playing some really great football, there is no doubt of that. Im not sure about Ajax beating Milan with ease, it was a close (and dull) game with not many chances and I remember Kluivert stabbing home the ball to win the game.

Your last comment is debatable and imo I would certainly put Juve above Ajax. As for Real, I think only time will tell but if we are not a par yet we are not too far.
93-96 Ajax was unique compare to other great 90's clubs such as AC Milan, FCB, Juve, Man Utd. and Real Madrid simply because they lack big $$$$.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Kyo said:
...in the summer 1996 the team sold majority of their best players to finance their new stadium. Also the brains behind their brand of football, Louis Van Gaal, left soon after. And Ajax is still to recover.
Kyo, that point I must correct, most of the players left for free because of the Bosman law.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
adriaan said:
Anyway, they 'just' won 0-2 in Bernabeu, but it could have been more ( a couple of balls against the post and stuff )
With a good ref Ajax would have won 4-0, but the Kraut decided to cancel one goal for offside and with another he didn't see that the ball crossed the line.
Im not sure about Ajax beating Milan with ease, it was a close (and dull) game with not many chances and I remember Kluivert stabbing home the ball to win the game
You're right about the final against Milan, that didn't went easy at all, but the two groupmatches did though (well quite easily that is).

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
That is very true Marco G, its always remarkable when a team with less resources does well. Why is that the talent has dried up recently at Ajax? Or hasnt it? Is it more spread out among the clubs in Holland these days?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
IMO the best teams for the past decade were Milan, Ajax, MU and Real. Ajax 93-96 played the most fantastic stuff (don't mean they were the best by FAR, but still the best) while MU have been the most consistent throughout the years. Real, despite being the only club to win the CL twice during this period, still needs to do something really special to stamp their place in history as one of the greatest sides. I'm sure they are more than capable of doing so. MU - Real in the CL final could be a dream game.

Marco Golo, how old are you, man? You remeber Jan Van Beveren!!! That's incredible!
My Oranje XI would be:
van Breukelen
Suurbier, R.Koeman, Riikaard, Krol
Neeskens, Gullit, van Hanegem
Cruyff, van Basten, Rensenbrink.

I simply enjoy even typing any of these names. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
zico said:
MU - Real in the CL final could be a dream game.
Now MU find it's form, we can dream again...(I'd like to see another classic RM victory at Hampden Park :) )

Marco Golo, how old are you, man? You remeber Jan Van Beveren!!! That's incredible!
My Oranje XI would be:
van Breukelen
Suurbier, R.Koeman, Riikaard, Krol
Neeskens, Gullit, van Hanegem
Cruyff, van Basten, Rensenbrink.

I simply enjoy even typing any of these names. :) [/B]

Hints: I share the same birthday with Ronaldinho, and eight days older than Marc Overmars. ;) If you can't get it? Click my profile.

I root for Oranje since Euro 88, about seven to eight years ago, I post my Dutch XI in rec.sports.soccer newsgroup, and I name Hans Van Breukelen as the keeper, that almost every senior Oranje fans corrected me. Even I didn't had chance to even watch Van Beveren video, I became one of the beliver!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Yes, that's true. Even though Van Beveren was better than Jongbloed or Schrijvers he never got his chance at WCs or Euro. That's why I give van Breukelen a nick ahead of him.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
What all this Ajax greatness have to do with Real Madrid
If we let people come in here talking about how great their team are or were 8 years ago :eek: , this forum will be ruin 4 ever.
I wonder were are our moderators, plz send this ajax topic to the Dutch forum or somewhere else.

p.s. sorry if I sound :mad:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
just as I expected these Real fans will never understand the Oranje talks. I'm off to putaforum then. :D

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I loved that side, I really did. Towards the end, the decline of those players really showed. The gravy train got to their heads, they thought they were Gods and all of them have basically sucked when they headed overseas initially. Some like Bergkamp and Overmars got their heads out of their arses, some like Kluivert could no longer tell where their head ended and their arse started.

Ajax was unbelievable, spectacular. They had gone 72 or 73 games unbeaten at one stage and were absolutely ranging hot favourites until it came up against a spectacular display of anti-football by Juventus :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts