Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The African teams on the WCA: Nigeria

With the Senegal succes still hot, here is another of Africa's teams: Nigeria. Nigeria is definitely the African team with the most of big names. There games in the last 2 WC's also are the games that made u sthink an African country in the near futur coulmd lift the cup. Still Nigeria wasn't able to live up to those expectations. Mainly due to inexperience but also due to arrogance the Nigerians didn't manage to yake all that was in their fantastic squad of the late 90's. The team they have now is a mixture of elderly stars and new talents.

Due to conflicts with coach Onigbinde Sunday Oliseh and Finidi Georges weren't selected. An old glory that is in the team is Jay-Jay Okocha. The playmaker of PSG is only 29 but it looks like he has been around for ages. He still is the engine that makes this team play.

Another big name that is still there is Nwanko Kanu. He's partnered up upfront with Julius Aghahowa of Shaktor Donesk. Aghahowa is bound to be the new big think in Nigerian football. This WC has to be his international breakthrough. If he fails they still have the young Ogbeche of PSG.

While there is still wealth upfront the Nigerians problems lay in the back. Taribo West doesn't have a club, Babayaro is just back out of injury (at best) and Onigbinde doesn't really have a solution to the abscence of Oliseh on the position of defensive midfielder.

Still this team can surprise the young wolves alongside the elder players who know that this is their last big performance. Although they are in the group of death I see them go through :hopefull:

Prediction: 2e in their group,...

Lineup:

--------------------------- Shorunmu -----------------------------

Yobo ------------- Afolabi -------- West ---------------- Udeze

Ikedia ----------------- Christopher -------------------- Lawal
---------------------------- Okocha --------------------------------

---------------------- Kanu ----------- Aghahowa ---------------

Calendar:

June 2: Nigeria - Argentina
June 7: Nigeria - Sweden
June 12: Nigeria - England

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok kind of performance by Nigeria this morning. They showed they can defend. Argentina only managed to score on a standard situation. Okocha showed he still got it and I got to know Okoronkwo, a very good central defender. Only worry is Kanu.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Too bad Ikedia didn't start, he was inivisible the biggest part of his 45 minutes but the parts he got a decent pass he looked pretty dangerous with some nice dribbles. He's certainly better than Lawal.

Go Pius!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
So far, I am disapointed in both Nigeria and Cameroon. Sure they have individual talents but the teams dont play too well. Cameroon preferred to punt the ball most f the times while Nigeria run out of ideas whenver they got deep in the Argentine half. Cameroon has to do better against Germany. IMO, Nigeria will not make it to the second round.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's it for Nigeria :frownani:. After one of the best matches (but for the 100th time this tournament :wth: a wrong result) they lost 2-1. What was it, arrogance or bad luck? It doesn't matter. The only important conclusion is that the most attractive team so far has been eliminated. :mad: I can only hope Argentina slaughters England, that's the only way to make my day :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Well.... They didn't. The only thing we can now hope for is a Nigeria win against England :depress:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we look nice on the outside but in fact we're all assh0ses :D

Nah I just can stand the English NT that is all. No problem with people itself (unless they say they have the best NT in the world of course :D)

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Well said gOD. Can't agree with you more :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts