Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senegal 1 France 0

France were one of the favourites and you all saw how they fell to the might of the African revolution. Argentina, be aware. The Eagles will hammer you 3-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter how hard any other animal tries, it can never soar to the heights of the eagle

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Senegal were impressive but try to contain yourself. You're coming onto our forum and stating outlandish like claims..Show a bit of respect, Argentina and Nigeria haven't played yet..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Now thats disgusting...

And eh.....

Argentina 3 - Negeria 0

·
Registered
271 Posts
Possession: 60% france; 40% senegal
Corners: 10 france; 0 senegal
On target: 8 france; 5 senegal
Off target: 4 france; 1 senegal

Senegal deserved to win, but as the statistics above show, France didn't fall to the 'might' of the African revolution'.

All the success of this win is down to Senegal, not to some mythical African revolution. Nigeria still has its hard work ahead.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One favourite down, Argentina is next to go

Senegal beat France to create one of the biggest World Cup shocks of all time, and crown a spectacular opening day to the 2002 tournament.

The unfancied African side, playing their first ever match in the World Cup finals, were expected to be pushed aside by the reigning World and European champions.

But Pape Bouba Diop's goal on 30 minutes handed victory to Senegal, a result which brought back memories of Cameroon's shock victory over Argentina in 1990.

Senegal's amazing win

It was a towering performance from the African side, who also hit the crossbar as France failed to find the form which has had many tipping them to lift the crown.

The stunning start to the tournament was an appropriate main course after the Koreans served up an explosive opening ceremony.

Hundreds of dancers and musicians performed in a dazzling display designed to symbolise yin and yang, and Korea past and present.

See pictures of the ceremony

Korea bursts into life

A young Korean fan enters into the spirit of the event

It was not all happiness and harmony, however.

Sepp Blatter, controversially re-elected as Fifa president this week, received a mixed reception, with an element of the crowd heckling him with derisory whistles.

"The players will present to the whole world, the football drama of joy and passion in a spirit of fair play," he said.

Both the Japanese prime minister, Junichiro Koizumi and the Korean president Kim Dae-Jung addressed the crowd, the latter speaking of the great honour of hosting the tournament.

The massed ranks of dancers then performed a spectacular, intricately choreographed dance to traditional Korean music.

Korean drummers then joined in as the spectacle - which has been practised for three years by the dancers and musicians - became more energetic.

The show, which cost an estimated £5.5m to stage, then transformed into a kaleidoscopic celebration of Korea's technological innovation.

Thirty-two teams are competing for the biggest prize in football.

After France's humiliation, Argentina will take over as favourites for the cup, with Italy not far behind.

Senegal's fans added to the atmosphere of the occasion

Four-time winners Brazil have had a turbulent build-up, but could yet spark into life and restore some of the pride lost in the 1998 final defeat to France.

Spain are well fancied - but they need to rid themselves of their reputation as perennial under-achievers.

Other highly-rated teams include Portugal, England, Sweden, Nigeria, Cameroon.

The tournament will be graced by many of the world's greatest players including Beckham, Figo, Totti, Raul, Ronaldo, Veron, Owen and Crespo.

Security will be tight in the wake of the 11 September terrorist attacks in the United States.

No-fly zones have been declared over the grounds and the teams are protected by phalanxes of security guards.

No matter how hard any other animal tries, it can never soar to the heights of the eagle

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
leg100 said:

Senegal deserved to win, but as the statistics above show, France didn't fall to the 'might' of the African revolution'.

All the success of this win is down to Senegal, not to some mythical African revolution. Nigeria still has its hard work ahead.
great post, you combined numbers, logic and common sense,
ayoakinfe take note

·
Registered
11 Posts
leg100 said:

Leg100, you left out the most important statistic:

Goals: 0 France; 1 Senegal
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: African Revolution

Assassin:

Chill. If somebody came to this board yesterday and told you that Senegal (which is not even among the very best out of Africa) would beat defending champions France by 1-0 would it have been any less "outlandish" than Ayoakinfe's prognosis of Argentina falling 3-0 to Nigeria?

I am waiting for an answer.

At least, it will not be the first time Nigeria will be beating Argentina.

Leg:

Anybody who uses statistics will readily tell you that staitistics without context is misleading. The Senegalese scored their goal as early as the 30th. Your statistics only show how hard the French tried to equalize and how well the Senegalese held up. By the way anybody or statistics telling you that Senegal mssed only one attempt at goal is lying. I saw the game.

All of You:

I am not even here to persuade you guys that our team is good because it will be better for us if you continue to think that we are crap.

One thing I promise you is that I WILL RETURN TO THIS FORUM ON SUNDAY.

Gracia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be very afraid- Argentina

Just thought, I would storm and crash your site and introduce myself as your nightmare come June 2nd. The African revolution has begun and we are taking no prisoners.

You, well Maradonna and Cannigia beat us in '94, and we've not forgotten that, beating you in the Olympics is not satisfactory enough and looking forward to Sunday- hope your team shows up, and don't forget to bring Maradonna and Cannigia though they wont help you much.

Senegal has given the world today, a taste of African Soccer, don't forget to set your alarm clocks come Sunday to watch the explosive Super Eagles ram it down your throats time after time. They said you were the favorites and that Nigeria had no chance.

BBC never seizes to amuse me, right after the Senegal win they've included Nigeria as one of the favorites to win the Cup- I say thanks but no thanks, we will show the world in the squared circle.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't appriciated being eddited there was nothing wrong with my post if there was please do tell ? :rolleyes:

I am not impressed

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
You were not out of line at all but I'll send you a PM later on to explain the reason as to why I edited your post. Nothing personal okay. I know you meant well but my reasoning was correct in this instance, least I believe so..

ak said:
I don't appriciated being eddited there was nothing wrong with my post if there was please do tell ? :rolleyes:

I am not impressed

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If we want to win the WC, like i have said a milloion tiems, we need to win our furst match, we all saw what happend to France, they won't win the whole thing, Nigeria is a good team, but if we don't beat theam by a two goal margin, i'm gonna be worried...

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Welll, i think, Senegal displayed a great performance yesterday. But IMHO Senegal and also Cameroon are better than Nigeria, I don't think that Nigeria will have a chance to win tomorrow. Perhaps they could manage a draw.

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Where are my dear African friends now?:) I want to see the face of my lovely friend ayoakinfe:cool:............he said Nigeria had a 80% chance of winning today:) Guess the other 20% betrayed him:rollani::D Where are you now my pal?:)

You see my African friends......I respect all African NTs greatly but honestly......your arrogance has forced me to lose all my favourtism for them:)

Have a nice flight back to Nigeria after the group matches:)....and don't forget to turn on the TV on July 1 to watch us win the WC in Yokohama:cool:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
No doubt Argentina were the better side. Both sides had chances, but Argentina had ALOT of chances (some of them very big) and were very poor with the finishing and good work of the Nigerian keeper... otherwise it would have been 3 or 4 nil. Nigeria only had chances such as shots from the distance and dangerous moments in the penalty area, not many played out chances. Argentina impressed me with their creativity, so many different type of attacks, but one thing... you do rely alot on Veron... alot goes through Veron and most dangerous passes come from him. If someone could nullify Veron they have a chance of beating Argentina.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds the revolution ended very fast...:D:howler::dielaugh:

well...not all nations has Che Givara :)

So Africans, rest in peace :D

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
We had opportunities and should have won by a wider margin, but the Nigerian keeper was outstanding not to mention that Nigeria were defending with 8 to 10 men at the back on most occasions...All things considered, I'm very happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts