Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The incident with Dida yesterday, when a flare shot by opposing fans hit the Milan keeper on the back and caused a wave of outrage, makes me think about how we lack outrage here in the Brasilian League regarding similar matters. I say this because THE SAME THING that happened to Dida already happened in Brasil more than once – off the top of my head I remember one case, circa 1997/98, when Botafogo's leftwinger Sergio Manoel was hit on his back by a flare shot by Juventude fans in a game at Alfredo Jaconi, Juventude's stadium. :thmbdown: The referee just waited for the fire on the player's back to be put out and then proceeded with the game as if nothing had happened, and NO punishment was set for stadium, club or fans. The media didn't bother with it, all business as usual, life goes on. :yuck: And I can't help but notice a sharp contrast between the reactions seen in the Brasilian League and in the CL: they react with outrage when a player is hit on his back by a flare, while in Brasil the player was told to stop whining and nothing was said by any newspapers (believe me, at the time I looked for ANY signs of outrage over the flare incident and nothing was said anywhere). :wth:

And of course, there are the countless "fans" who like to invade the pitch to protest, celebrate or even slow down the game to benefit their team in a moment of pressure (RJ fans will remember the infamous "ladrilheiro" incident). Some players are willing to defend the invaders if they support their team (Danrley, to name just one), some club officials defend them and make sure they get away with it, and rarely do we see these pitch-invaders being treated as severely as they deserve. Someday one of these pitch-invading fans will be armed with a knife and stick it into the opposing team's "craque", and maybe THEN the players will stop protecting these bums.

When will we see this kind of outrage here in Brasil? And until we DO get that outrage, where do we draw the line? Does a player have to die before folks start taking this shit seriously in Brazil?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
a woman was hit by a rock (about the same size as a football) in juventude vs internacional. she had to undergo an operation but I believe she is ok now. anyway, if she had been hit in the head, she almost surely would have died.
as far as I know, jaconi is still available for matches

1 - 2 of 2 Posts