Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.movie-gazette.com/cinereviews/549

This review explains what the movie is, and conveys my sentiments on it as well.

Fans of Von Trier's MUST watch this film. If you like the film (and you will) you MUST try to find Jørgen Leth's original "The Perfect Man".

Art.

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
Thansk Glen.

Several friendas have recommened this already. Sounds like a stunner and a must see thing.

My big prob here in Hungary is that I can see only (and only few) English and Russian speaking movies. Cause otherwise all subtitles are hungarian of course. And most of teh movies ob acreen are dubbed anyway :fero: :fero: :fero: Its rediculous but a fact.

Is the language of teh movie your one? Available already on DVDs with Eng subs? Tnks.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's out on DVD/video yet Bono. Afterall- it will be at the 2004 Sundance Festival (was a show piece at Cannes 2003 too), and it only aired here some moths back in cinema's.

I will report back when I know that it can be obtained over the net, but rest assured that it won't take too long. Everything that has Von Trier on it in some way becomes accessible through his busniess partner Peter Aalbæk Jensen, who refers to Von Trier as my lunatic little cash cow :D . Aalbæk btw. is rather notorious in general- hiring only staff who can play an instrument. Be they lawyers, aids or runners, and gave only one exclusive interview at Cannes (the year of Dancer)... to Danish TV2, because the journalist agreed to skinny dip in the hotel pool. Problem was that a large part of the financing came from fierce rivals and state channel DR1... who did NOT get a single interview even if they had paid for much of the movie. Mad couple for sure.

The real Director star here is Leth though- even if it's brougt out by Von Trier's lunacy :).

Oh- I stress again that one should be somewhat of a Von Trier fan to like this- or at least interested in cinematography. It's surely no main stream documentary. Rather an avant garde version of "Survivor". Obviously it makes it more accessible to us Danes that Leth is a public figure and reknowned both for his art films and poetry, but even more so (to the majority) for having been the expert commentator for Danish TV at Tour de France for many years, and having made sports movies- for instance a tribute to Michael Laudrup.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
It's a great film. And funny too in some odd sort of way. But then again von Trier REALLY is an odd character. :)

I've got a quote of his hanging on my fridge which is three years old and it's something he said to two journalists who pissed him off. It roughly translates to this:
"When I was your age I wanted to be a big star too. Just like you. But when you then choose journalism it must be because you couldn't get accepted at theatre school!"

:D Mad man.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts