Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so now we're at the halfway mark,and all is'nt lost yet.what can you expect of Inter there is still so much to play for and so much to look forward to also.

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Do not snub the league just yet, Inter still have a shot at the Scudetto. It will be hard but it is not impossible.

First, there is the numbers. One might think that Inter needs to win all the remaining games to do it, but that is not the case. While Serie A had 18 teams, bar an extraordinarily good chamionship by a team like last season's Milan, 70-75 points was more then enough to win Lo Scudetto. That is 2.05-2.21 points per game. If we take that ratio and translate it to the 20-club Serie A we would see that the new champion of Italy would have to collect at least 78-84 points. In the first part Inter collected 31 points, meaning Inter would have to win 47-53 points to reach the magic limit. This means there is still space for 2-4 draws. It looks impossible but didn't a win against Samp look impossible in the 87th minute as well?

Of course, one also needs to wait for Milan and Juventus to drop points. At first glance those two look invincible but there are things working in Inter favour there as well.

With Juventus it is their tactics. Time and time again it has been proven that the tactics with two DMs and two wingers now employed by Capello is obsolete and ineffective when it comes to the last 6 or so games when the team fighting for Scudetto needs to attack and to win. The wingers by then run out of steam and the central midfielders are simply incapable of getting through the middle. So what is left? Hoofball. Sooner or later it comes down to that as examples of Lazio 98/99 and Inter 01/02 prove it. Those teams had disasterous collapses in the latter stages because they were figured out by the opposition. Just as the two DM tactics proved costly for Lazio and Inter that is likely to be Juve's undoing this season.

Milan has no such problems and their midfield oozes creativity. However, many key players have shown quite indifferent form compared to last season such as Pirlo(didn't have a day's rest in the summer) and Kaka'(second season syndrome). Also, Milan has found it rather difficult finding the net away from home. There is another catch: Milan's last 5 games of the season will be as follows - Fiorentina away, Juventus at home, Lecce away, Palermo at home and Udinese away. A calendar of hell if there ever was one! Unless they enter those 5 games with at least 5 points advantage, it will be difficult to retain the title.

There you have it. I hope I lifted the spirits somewhat.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Concentrate on CL and Coppa..

Try and win as much as we can in Serie A and we'll see where we are by April.

We also need to buy a couple of players, and get rid of a few others.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Lightoller, I have to say this...
I do not like Lazio very much and fans supporting other teams specially come here to taunt us but your posts are always a pleasure to read. You present a very balanced/logical point of view.

What to expect?
I would like to be optimistic but I am expecting much of the same. I believe we will see some performances bordering on the sublime (like Sampdoria) but the team will disappoint and fall short at crucial moments. Somewhere along the line we might lose a match but I expect the frustrating draws and the dropping of valuable points to continue.

It would be nice to at least reach reach the Coppa Italia final and even nicer if we won it. Having the Italian Cup target on our shirt next season would be quite special.

As for the Champions League I am not sure how far we can go. We should be able to beat Porto but after that I do not know. Many classy teams remain in the competition and that is not to say that Inter can not match them but I believe our defence, when it comes down to it, is not strong enough to take us far in Europe. Having said that, Inter's performances in the Champions League have greatly varied to our performances in Serie A. If we can maintain our momentum and play as convincingly then there is a chance. It goes without saying that much will depend on Adriano and his fitness.

It would be fantastic if we could go unbeaten all season. But at the moment, that has sort of become a burden. It is a nice statistic to have if you are sitting top of the table (Arsenal last season) but being 15 points off the pace at the half-way mark of the season and still being unbeaten is ludicrous! Only Inter could manage something as crazy that! What bothers me most is how the team lost so many points in the first half of the season. Most of the time, our opponents did not even deserve a share of the points and yet we somehow managed to find a way to allow them back into the game. The jokes I am now subjected to are:

"So, what's it going to be this week? 0-0, 2-2, 3-3?" or

"What did Inter do last night? 15 points off the pace... Dont worry, you're still undefeated!"

I guess what i am trying to say is that I would like Inter to perform to our expectations. To finish off matches and obtain points when they are deserved and only then will we see how our beloved black and blues go. Beating Chievo at the weekend would be a good place to start!

FORZA INTER!

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Inter01, not that it makes a big difference, but we're actually 13 points off the pace :D

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
No need to apologize mate :)

I have a good feeling about the CL. I believe we can do it if we are able to solve the defensive problem. We seem to be on the right track regarding the defense, as we have conceded less goals lately, bar the Samp match. I hope Mancini, Moratti & co realize that and try to solve that problem, either by making use of the current transfer window or make-do with what we have now.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
CL is realistic as we seem to only play a decent couple of game then lose our path lately, which would suit us in that competition.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
realistically the CL is a very good chance,The scudetto not Impossible but extremely hard but anything can happen.If Inter can be a bit more tighter and maintain more consistency it could get really interesting.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes another unimpressive result what can you say?Hopefully things turn around for the better soon. :)

·
Registered
60,321 Posts
I really hope we can win the Coppa Italia, it's still better than **** all you know...

Serie A was over for us the moment we chose not to sign Capello when he was up for grabs, and there's no way in hell we'll be winning the CL with that lame ass excuse of a defence we've got.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
i'd be happy if we
-will reach the semi finals CL
-3rd place Serie-A
-bonus: Coppa Italia
but i'd be glad with the first 2

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Well if your a team that can't be beaten then a knockout competetion like the CL might be coming your way aswell as the Coppa, Though its not so good for the league

·
Registered
60 Posts
just make sure we draw with less goals at home :yawn:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a frustrating season for Inter but I think Mancio is doing a fine job,I know the draws are a pain in the arse.But realistically the scudetto is pretty much gone but who says the Prestigious CL is?Inter will still take a bit out of this campaign and as silly as it may sound you still haven't been beaten 20 games.

·
Registered
45,451 Posts
Schumy said:
It's been a frustrating season for Inter but I think Mancio is doing a fine job,I know the draws are a pain in the arse.But realistically the scudetto is pretty much gone but who says the Prestigious CL is?Inter will still take a bit out of this campaign and as silly as it may sound you still haven't been beaten 20 games.
Great point, Schumy. What pisses me off though is how people are pretending that the league is still an option. Of course it is, theoretically. But the likelihood is much closer to zero than fifty. Mourinho's Chelsea is 10+ points clear of the nearest rival. And he said that if the difference reaches 13 points, one can realistically say that Chelsea are pretty much the winners.

But as for the CL, I think we have a good chance of getting it this year. The opponents I'm worried the most about are Barça and our Italian counterparts. But I'm still confident that we can reach the Finals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts