Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal have confirmed that Arsene Wenger will have a transfer war chest of over £30 million to bolster his squad in the summer.

Wenger has been forced to watch on in recent seasons as rivals Chelsea and Manchester United have invested heavily in their squads, with his own spending power limited by The Gunners' new stadium at Ashburton Grove.

However, with that project now firmly in place and funding fully organised, Arsenal have revealed that a £30 million investment from Granada TV will be handed to Wenger to invest in new players.

"The manager has more money than he's ever had before to spend on players, should he choose to do that," managing director Keith Edelman stated.

"He may decide he's got an outstanding squad and he doesn't need to spend, he may decide that he wants to spend. He has ample resources.

"Historically, it is true we did not have the wherewithal to pay the salaries we had to pay to retain our best players and keep enough cash flow to give the manager a reasonable transfer budget."

Recent results have highlighted the need for Wenger to add extra depth to his embattled squad, with defensive cover and a new goalkeeper sure to be high on Wenger's priority list.

Arsenal are known to be watching Belgian international keeper Silvio Proto, while Chelsea's Carlo Cudicini is understood to be another potential target for Wenger.

However, reports suggest that the French coach is also considering firming up his interest in Norwegian custodian Knut Borch.

The 25-year-old, who plays for Tromso in his homeland, had a trial at Highbury in December, and the unconvincing form of both Jens Lehmann and Manuel Almunia means he could well come into consideration if Wenger's top targets are unattainable.

-----

Brilliant :D £30 million is not to be sniffed at is it?

But there's a fair bit of surgery that needs to be done, so it's less than it seems.

We need experience experience experience right across the spine of the squad, from Goalkeeper, through central defender to Striker. I think we're fine in central midfield tbh, once Polly's back we're balanced. On the wings, IF Reyes wanted to go then SWP is the obvious man to come in...

But in the key positions of keeper, central defender and striker, it's more open to question - and that's where all the money should go.

I really think to help the development of the Galactikids, we should be looking at players on the cusp of 30. 28/29 year olds who know what to do. It is, finally, what will help the kids most - to not have to cope en masse when things get tough with injuries and form.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
30 mil is quite a lot.. judging by his past form in the transfer market, im expecting change, possibly in preparation for a janurary coup

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
£30 million!!! :eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
i would get another CM who is capable of playing on the right for away games when we play against 5 man midfiields, like Gilberto was used last year in some games but someone more capaable wide, SWP is a must and Pires isn't finished IMO, just play him in his proper left sided role every game, one of Wenger's biggest mistakes for me this year is playing Bobby out of position for most of the season in order to accomodate Reyes,

·
Registered
865 Posts
For that amount of money I'd buy us
1) Frey - 10 mil
2) Kompany - 8 mil
3) Recoba - 10 mil
4) A whole pack of some african, chinese and spanish 15-year olds - 2 mil

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
RECOBA????? and 10 million, i wouldnt 2 million to be serious, the guy is old and and we dont need him.

Frey would NOT cost 10 million he would be allot cheaper than that, KOMPANY is young, we already have Sendo, we need an experienced defender, not a prospect.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Twayka said:
Frey would NOT cost 10 million he would be allot cheaper than that
i wouldnt be so sure. remember that parma paid 13m for him from inter, and he's only 24(?). well worth it tho, you lot need a keeper like him! :jester:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Hmm...£30 millions, yummy. I want Chivu... :hopefull: :lick:

Cudicini would be also great if we can get him though I want Frey more. :hopefull:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
why not raid spurs make them more shit and get robinson? :)

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
i want cudicini, very good used to the EPL, and hes 32 i think, that means taylor has a chance, if we get frey who is 24 then bye bye taylor, this shouldnt cost much at all, if not free.

KING IMO he should cost 14 million, but he will probably cost 20.

and if we sign bergkamp then no need for a striker because, henry, bergkamp, ali, van persie, plenty of strikers.

also try and give edu a better contract, so we spare 10 million.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
show me a quote where an arsenal official says we have 30m.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Twayka said:
RECOBA????? and 10 million, i wouldnt 2 million to be serious, the guy is old and and we dont need him.

Frey would NOT cost 10 million he would be allot cheaper than that, KOMPANY is young, we already have Sendo, we need an experienced defender, not a prospect.
Kompany is young, but is alot more accomplished than Senderos, and would be an excellent transfer choice should Wenger choose to sign him. There is also no guarantee that Senderos will turn out to be as great as Wenger initially anticipated. Whereas with Kompany, great things are definitely expected of him, and he is proving everyone right for the time being.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
if we actually do have 30m, which i completely believe that we dont, but anyway, i would buy

1) Kompany
2) a World Class acomplished keeper
3) if edu leaves, mascherano or essien, but both will be hard to get

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Spend it all on Drogba!!! (Joking)

Arsene Wenger knows how to spend his money wisely more times than not and £30m will go a long way with his judgement. Recoba is not old but not young, He is 29 next month and he has the football brain to last a long time that would be Wenger's greatest piece of business IMO though It would be guranteed if he came a few seasons back. Get him to take Bergkamp's place.
King would be a great buy but he would cost too much unless he screwed Spurs. Anyway whatever Wenger gets Im sure it will be value for money overall.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts