6. Cesária Évora - Miss Perfumado

7. Tom Zé - the hips of tradition

8. Chico Buarque - Construção

9. Lee Perry - Return of the Super Ape

10. Rachid Taha - Carte Blanche

·
Registered
17,383 Posts
Obviously no album could change my life. Would be a pathetic life if some stranger's music could influence it unless I would be in the music industry myself which I am not.

·
Registered
16,828 Posts
Brian eno, on land
David Bowie, low
Nico, marble index
Jimi Hendrix, band of Gypsys
James Brown, greatest hits (star time)
Captain Beefheart, troutmask replica
Velvet underground and Nico
Frank Zappa, hot rats
Old dirty bastard, return to the 36 chambers
Scott Walker, tilt

Barely listen anymore though...

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
LoL....no life-changing but these were the tunes of my youth....

1. Earth Wind & Fire - Gratitude
2. Heatwave - Central Heating
3. Santana - Abraxas
4. Santana - Greatest Hits
5. Cameo - Ugly Ego
6. Keith Green - So You Want To Go Back To Egypt
7. Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band
8. Commodores - Heroes
9. Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome
10. Heatwave - Too Hot To Handle

·
Registered
33,545 Posts
LoL....no life-changing but these were the tunes of my youth....

1. Earth Wind & Fire - Gratitude
2. Heatwave - Central Heating
3. Santana - Abraxas
4. Santana - Greatest Hits
5. Cameo - Ugly Ego
6. Keith Green - So You Want To Go Back To Egypt
7. Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band
8. Commodores - Heroes
9. Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome
10. Heatwave - Too Hot To Handle
Now there's a list.

Cameo.

·
MVP
8,980 Posts
Not really a top ten in any particular order but here goes:

1983: U2 - War: Sunday Bloody Sunday. The whole doom and gloom of that album wrapped up in 80s pop-rock-punkish style, gave something quite profound for this album. Plus, I watched a lot of news about "war" in the 80s be it Lebanon/Middle East/Balkan/Soviet break up/Afghanistan etc etc...so this really resonated with my childhood/teen years.

2000: Radiohead - Kid A: From the moment Everything in its right place starts you're in a for a mind-bending musical journey. This album really changed the way I perceive musical experimentation, and how I approach listening and accepting a band's change in style.

1996(?) Deftones - Around the Fur: I was never into heavy metal, but this band set a different standard for teenage angst and Nu-metal. The dramatic screams, and wails, with the sinister guitar riffs in the background combine for absolute raping of your ear drum. (yes yes I know...they ain't got shit on other extreme metal bands....)

2006 Tool - 10,000 Days: While all of Tools albums are worthy of worship, this one is a deep, dark personal journey filled with emotion, ambiguity, sci fi, and epic moments of melodic profoundness and climactic masterpieces. This album is one of my favorite prog-rock albums of all time.

1970-something lol..sorry - Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon. I don't really need to explain much but this is a classic for music lovers of all tastes. Some of you may think, meh, pretentious, The Wall >>>>> DSOTM. To each their own I guess. To me, the entire album is a true masterpiece.

19-late-60s-something: - Pink Floyd - Pied Pipers at the gates of dawn. For the time period of this album, it truly is magnificent in its own right which really makes me appreciate it in that specific context. A lot of PF debate around Gilmour vs. Waters... For me, psychedelic Syd Barett PF >>> All other PF era's. I'm perhaps in a minority of PF fans that have this opinion, I think. This album also introduced me to that era of music btw, as I wasn't really into hippy/1960s psychedelic stuff.

1981 & 1989: The Cure - Faith / The Cure - Disintegration. I know I named two albums here...There is something compelling about dark, sad, and deep emotional music. This albums have their moments for me. Not that I'm a depressed person or anything, but it appeals to my emotions somehow, and sort of helps me sing my emotions away with it. lol...we're talking about albums changing our lives. :D

1991: Nirvana - Nevermind. It is rare that you find an album where literally every song is good. This is one of those albums where I enjoyed each track, and could never get tired of. When my mom discovered the "cassette" at the time with a baby on it, she thought it was some kind of pop music. She pressed play and immediately Kurt goes, "I'm so horny I can't wait to see you there...yeaaaaahhhh" .....yeah needless to say 10 year old me at the time had the most awkward conversation with mom. :err:

1994: Soundgarden - Superunknown. I loved this man's voice, God Bless his soul :(
Pure emotion, high pitches, growls, darkness, rock, grunge, punk, pounding drums, this album was too badass for me. (and all of SG's albums for that matter :proud: )

1988: Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction. This is another one of those, every-song-on-the-album-is-good category. This was actually my first rock album that I ever listened to as a 7 year old at the time. Needless to say I was blown away. Loved every minute of it, and it changed my life coz I wanted more rock and roll. I was too young to attend their concert in Athens, Greece at the time. Drugs and stuff...teenagers and bullies on skateboards and bikes were a real threat at the time :howler:

Fast forward to like 2011(?) I ended up watching Axl Rose's new GnR lineup without Slash, or any other of the classic lineup that recently re-united. Was an epic experience.

And not only that, they took a break, and played a Led Zeppelin track as an intermission: No Quarter. And I was literally the only person who could recognize it, was OMG THAT'S NO QUARTER COVER OF LED ZEP!!! F*&^ YEAH!!! :happy: :musik:

People around me: k dude, wtf are you on about? :err:

:doh:

·
MVP
8,980 Posts
PS...other cool bands I've left out though not sure if life changing..lol.

Honorable mentions...

Kings of Leon (seen them live during their early era, and it was an epic performance quality wise, and even the songs were given a little different twist than the album versions, which is something I like when bands do live..), Led Zep (seen Robert Plant live and
danced like a hippy on acid), Scorpions (I know, I know I was into them for a while :doh: I actually can't stand them now ), Opeth, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Kyuss, Faith No More, REM, Depeche Mode, Incubus (seen them live, they were pretty cool), Muse (seen them live, probably the loudest concert I've ever been to)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts