Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thoroughly disgusted that Klinsmann said that St Mike dived..

especially coming from a conspicuous diver

He should look at the replays!!

Anyway it felt so good to beat the Argies

:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
As a neutral and a huge Michael Owen fan let me say this. That was a dive.
He saw the foot and he took it. Maybe some people don't want to admit that their team stoops to these tactics to win games but after the hand of god and the dive of diego, I'm sure Beckham or whoever would dive whenever and wherever to get that win.

·
Registered
516 Posts
There was contact made and whatever people say, the rules of the game state that if a player makes contact with another without touching the ball or touching the player before the ball inside the penalty area, it is a penalty. Owen exaggerated the dive i agree, but that is something all footballers do. The contact was made. If this penalty wasn't in such a big international match it wouldn't have been questioned but now people are trying to put a dampener on England's win. They played better and deserved to win and after the "hand of dog" goal deserve some luck as well.

Gary Lineker came out with a brilliant comment when he heard what Klinnsmann said. "Thats Herr Pott calling the kettle schwarz."

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Ok
I watched the "ground level view" from the camera on the goal line 5-6 times and it was DEFINATELY A DIVE.
Maybe the Argentinian defender was late in the tackle but there was minimal contact in fact almost none at all. Owen may have, stumble (impossible to imagine because of his low gravity) or he just decided not to carry on and fall on the ground.

U decide.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I have had alot of debate with Yasir on this, and as much as i like Owen, its defintly a dive IMO. The view from the back angle was much clearer then the initial view.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
If there is contact (which there is!) it is not a dive. Yes he may have made the most of it, but contact like which was made is a penalty. A harsh penalty? Maybe, but I've seen them given for less.

England played better, looked better, and fully deserved the win.

Even if (and I do disagree with this) it wasn't a penalty, it's about time we got a call against them anyway;)

·
International
9,526 Posts
I'm of the opinion that it was a penalty. I think there was contact made, and my reason being that the guy marking Owen was one of the slowest players on the field. When you run at players and they lack pace, ofcourse they will either drop you or make a mistake when attempting a tackle because their reaction time is going to be slower, isn't it. He put his leg out late and drew it back in again after misjudging Owen's movement, but contact had been made by then.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Just on Klinsmann, I heard his grandfather was a U-Boat captain ... that's not true is it?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dyertribe said:
Just on Klinsmann, I heard his grandfather was a U-Boat captain ... that's not true is it?
and his dad was a platform diver LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts