Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to thank the USNATS for giving me, a precious moment of Joy in this WC. TOday they beat Mexico.,They beat them with a brilliant game plan, they beat them with heart, they beat them with skill, and most importantly they beat them with intelligence.

THey showed in this one game why Portugal, should never have made it to the second round.

Portugal just didn't have the ingredients for this WC that they had for Euro2000. It starts with the top, and as you all know, and I've said it since the day he was hired, there are Baboons smarter than Oliveira.

However the blame is not his alone. JVP, should never touch a professional field again. He should play where players don't have a regard for the game, where they don't keep their heads, and eating grass is natural. Basically he should play with a bunch cows in a Commercial League somewhere. If I'm FIFA I give him an indefinite ban from the professional game.

The Media talks about how the Portuguese people are embarassing themselves about berating Oliveira at his arrival in POrtugal. Sure it's shameful, but doesn't it so neatly mirror JVP's actions on the field?

BTW, the refs are not to blame for our inefficiencies. We were clearly outsmarted and outplayed in two of the three games we played. The red cards were handed out deservedly. Beto should have gone earlier imo.

Great teams make their own luck, and we clearly did not deserve or merit, a tying goal against South Korea.
It would be ashame if the US couldn't go and beat the Mexicans the way they did it. Cause I know Portugal at this moment couldn't pull that kind of game.

Lastly, if the Portuguese nats are mirror of Portuguese society, and they are, I feel so very sorry for our country. It clearly needs a cleansing of the highest degree, where humility, honor, and heart are the steel Brillo pads that peel away the grime.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Excellent quote, OSF.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Back Pila!

How was your vacation??

BTW, didn't you meet up with Ollie at the airport?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Other than the obvious disapointment, it was awsome. I alos saw Figo from about 30 feet away. Thought about bugging him, but decided the guy wasn't in the mood and so I let him be.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pila said:
Other than the obvious disapointment, it was awsome. I alos saw Figo from about 30 feet away. Thought about bugging him, but decided the guy wasn't in the mood and so I let him be.
That was cool of you. I'm sure he'll have enough problems ahead, what with the ankle surgery, and the match fixing rumors.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
It was weird - I was having my cafe at the departure joint when the people in the cafe started clapping... at first I thought they were clapping because the TV where showing live the players arrival outside just a few clicks from me, but then noticed that they were clapping because Figo was walking right past us. Weird because none of the passengers there went to him for the usual autographs and stuff... a rare moment of benevolence on the public's part.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Congrats to USA -they deserved to win. I was disappointed that Pereira (the porkchop) ref missed the blantant penalty for Mexico though (either than that he did a good job) cause it ruined the spectecle. Anywasy good luck to the yanks.

The officiating has been crap in this world cup without even mentioning our last game, none stop dives, shirt pulling and play acting being let go (werent they going to crak down on this) and even worse is the wrong calls on pk's and goals.

How is it that its always the same teams that get the calls their way to Brazil get pks given to them that arnt and falid goals taken from their oponeents.

The Koreans are hard workers but their also rough and dirty at times but get away with MUCH -tonights game could of had a few sendings off but because the ref remained composed the game didnt escalated into a farse like the one we all know. I saw the Koreans retaliate with elbows to the head, kicks to the back of Maldinis head and other nasty sliding tackles, but basically they got away with it. I was going for Korea as their an attacking side worth watchin not like the boring italians.

IMO some teams have been aided in this world cup greatly & if not by purpose its by bad referreeing..

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Bad referring happens. I remember seeing much worse in past WCs. I'm not against whining about a bad call, but it's important to learn to move on from a bad call - we should be very familiar by now how unproductive and obstructive it is to dwell on factors beyond our control. It is fundementally crucial that efforts wasted in frustration are redirected to factors that we do control, like composure and improvement. It's about time that players, coaches learn to take the negative and turn the energy into more constructive measures of improvement of the level of play on the pitch and show the mental fortitude of character that wins championships.

That is all.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Pila said:
Bad referring happens. I remember seeing much worse in past WCs. I'm not against whining about a bad call, but it's important to learn to move on from a bad call - we should be very familiar by now how unproductive and obstructive it is to dwell on factors beyond our control. It is fundementally crucial that efforts wasted in frustration are redirected to factors that we do control, like composure and improvement. It's about time that players, coaches learn to take the negative and turn the energy into more constructive measures of improvement of the level of play on the pitch and show the mental fortitude of character that wins championships.

That is all.
Hear, Hear Pilinho!

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
HONESTLY!!!

The whines made by fans in regards to the refs is nothing new. In fact you can go back to pervious world cups and see plenty of games where the referee decisions influenced the game (Brazil v Portugal in 1966 springs to mind). The teams that win are the ones that adjust/exploit the calls of the game. Well that and impose their will on the other team though quality play.

Surrounding the referee ,in attempt to get the referee to change his call, has yet to work for our teams. I wish someone would encourage them to stop.

·
Registered
642 Posts
DAMN RIGHT - If i was coach of our team Id tell em not to talk with the ref at all, unless absolutely necessary. Talking back to the referree gets u know where but in their bad books - we all know their never going to change a call no mattre how much whining is done.

Also refs tend to be more lenient to teasm that get about there business without whining and complaining. I hope the fpf make this a priority, and that our future coach drills this into our players.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
There's a reason why a player wears ONE armband on the pitch. It's because he's the captain and supposed to be the only one communicating with the ref. Portugal seems to think we have 11 armbands on the pitch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts