Xtratime Community banner

Thank You Mancini

354 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Carson35 
#1 ·
Roberto Mancini has announced that he intends to still be in charge of Lazio for the 2004/05 campaign.

"I will stay with Lazio once this season ends," he told the RAI television programme ‘Uno Mattina’ on Thursday.

There were fears that Mancio could quit the club after he was heavily linked with a move to Tottenham at the start of this month.

And Lazio themselves conceded at the time that the tactician could leave in the summer.

"Mancini will remain at Lazio this season. That is for certain," sporting director Oreste Cinquini stated.

"He does have a contract until 2008, but the club is going through a difficult time so we cannot guarantee that he will remain for the next campaign."

Mancini decided to sign a new long-term deal with the Olimpico outfit in June despite interest from both Inter and Real Madrid.

He led the club into the Champions’ League last year despite their financial problems and got them to the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup.

Yet things have not quite worked out so far this term. They were knocked out of Europe in December and are way off the Scudetto pace.

"It is our aim now to finish in the top four and get back into the European Cup," Mancini told the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport’ today.

"In order to do that we must pick up more points in the second half of the season than we did in the first."
I say this is one of the happiest days, Mancini is a great coach and above that he is a Laziali Fan. This proves that conditions at the club between him and the board are getting better. This also proves that the financial situation at the club is even more promising (he stated earlier that his stay is dependent on the club's financial situation). Thank you Mancio, you are a great coach and we Love you to lead Lazio

Forza Lazio ....................

#3 ·
yes, a good news, but not the best.

I feel tired of different news about Mancio, if you are a real Laziali, stay here for at least 3 years to prove that you can bring us something. I hope Mancio can make a long-term decision.

#5 ·
Inter Milan board split on Zacc successor
tribalfootball.com - February 3, 2004

Inter Milan's board are split on a potential successor to current trainer Alberto Zaccheroni.
If Inter fail to qualify for next season's Champions League, Zacc will be shown the door, according to Italian press reports yesterday.

The two men on the board's short-list to replace him are AS Roma coach Fabio Capello and Lazio's Roberto Mancini.

However, the board are split over who is the ideal choice, with former president Massimo Moratti pushing for the younger Mancini, who he is good friends with, while the rest of the board want the more experienced Capello.

#6 ·
Mancio admits Spurs contact Thursday 5 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Mancini has increased speculation linking him with a move to Spurs after revealing that he’s spoken to the club.

The Lazio tactician was first associated with the White Hart Lane outfit at the start of the year and he’s confirmed they are interested.

"These are the kind of things one doesn't ever say, but yes, it happened," he told British Eurosport.

"You know, we talked just to get to know each other. Just to test the water, that type of thing. I have a long contract with Lazio but you never know what might happen."

The Sampdoria legend signed a new five-year deal with the Olimpico side last summer but he’s never hidden his admiration for the English game.

"I’ve always said that I would like to work in England because I really enjoy their football," added the former Italian international.

"Spurs are an important club. But these things were talked up a lot before and nothing happened."

Mancini’s revelations will come as a surprise to some Lazio fans given the fact that he pledged his future to the club last week.

However, Mancio could be seriously considering his future given the difficult financial situation in the Italian capital.

He lost star man Dejan Stankovic last week when the Serbian was sold to Italian rivals Inter.

And it seems almost certain that Jaap Stam, another favourite of the tactician, will be sold to either Inter, Juventus or Milan at the end of this campaign.

It is also understood that Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni is a contender to take over at the Premiership club after Euro 2004.

channel4

#10 · (Edited)
Lazio: Mancio is wanted man Thursday 5 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lazio have admitted that Spurs are just one of a number of clubs interested in boss Roberto Mancini.

Mancio has today revealed that he has held preliminary talks with the Premiership side which has raised massive question marks over his future in the capital.

"I have no knowledge of the meeting," Lazio President Ugo Longo told PA International on Thursday.

"But Mancini has not only received offers from Tottenham but also from other clubs. We are aware of it and it makes us very proud because we have a very talented Coach.

"Although the future is in the hands of God, we know Mancini and Lazio have every intention in continuing their working relationship."

The Sampdoria legend, 39, is tied to the Olimpico outfit until 2008 but their difficult financial situation may see him leave at the end of the season.

Inter were known admirers of the tactician but their interest has cooled after the appointment of Alberto Zaccheroni.

Reports also suggested that Real Madrid were lining him up for the new campaign after they made initial contact last summer.

However, Longo is hopeful that Lazio can keep hold of Mancini in a bid to revive the club’s fortunes.

"Mancini is the right person to lead us in the project which we have set ourselves and he’s convinced of that fact," added the capital chief.

channel4

=================

Mancini confirms Spurs talks

By Danny Griffiths
Date: 5/2/2004

ROBERTO MANCINI has held talks with Tottenham about becoming their new coach in the summer. The Lazio boss and former Italy international...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Mancini confirms Spurs talks
By Danny Griffiths for THEspursweb.com

ROBERTO MANCINI has held talks with Tottenham about becoming their new coach in the summer.

The Lazio boss and former Italy international has been recommended by England coach Sven Goran Eriksson for the post.…

Mancini said: We talked just to get to know each other. Just to test the water, that type of thing. I have a long contract with Lazio, but you never know.

"I have always said that I would like to train an English club as the football there is so enjoyable and the players have a great spirit and work together so you can always do something there."

That doesn't confirm he is the number one target but will be disappointing for supporters who want either Martin O'Neill or Giovanni Trapattoni.

Spurs acting manager David Pleat has refused to confirm or deny whether the potential new manager has had any impact on the signings of £7million Jermain Defoe and £500,000 Michael Brown.

Pleat said: "Having no manager does not hinder us in the transfer market. We are building up a better base of players and I would suggest it doesn't matter too much who the manager is."

Spurs are in the process of raising £15m for new players via a share issue. But Pleat said before the transfer window opened: "I don't think we'll be spending money that is being set aside for the new manager."

#11 ·
Mancio in Spurs U-turn Friday 6 February, 2004

Lazio boss Roberto Mancini has distanced himself from claims that he is set to join Spurs in the summer.

Quotes attributed to the tactician yesterday suggested that he had already met with White Hart Lane representatives.

Yet Mancini maintains that is not true and he¡¦s sent a clear message to the Lazio fans regarding his future.

"I¡¦ve never said that I am joining Tottenham," he noted. "I don¡¦t know where those claims came from. I will still be at Lazio next season."

Mancio made that statement after seeing his side collect a 2-1 first leg victory at Milan in the Coppa Italia semi-final.

"Our chances of going through have increased now but we still have to face Milan in Rome," he warned.

"We were far more superior to them in the first half where we could have increased our lead to three.

"The goal Inzaghi scored for them, which was offside, gave them hope and they caused us problems in the second half."

Milan¡¦s eight game winning streak came to an end with goals from Stefano Fiore - thanks to goalkeeper Christian Abbiati - and Fernando Couto.

"We got off to a bad start," said Milan¡¦s Carlo Ancelotti. "Unfortunately Abbiati¡¦s mistake penalised us. We need to put in a great performance in Rome."

One positive note for Milan was the return of Pippo Inzaghi who netted after his recent injury problems.

"He showed with the help of his goal that he is already in decent shape," added Ancelotti.

channel4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.