Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tevez's Corinthians privileges criticised by team mate.

By Brian Homewood

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Argentina forward Carlos Tevez was criticised by team mate Gil on Tuesday for the privileges he has enjoyed at Corinthians since joining them in a record-breaking $18 million move last December.

Gil's declarations came at a time when the Brazilian media has been awash with rumours of internal wrangling at South America's most expensive team, coached by former Argentina captain Daniel Passarella.

Gil, relegated to the bench this month after five years as a first team regular, said it was unfair that Tevez only had to give one interview a week and did not obey club dress codes.

Brazilian media also say Tevez is the only player who is allowed visits from friends and relatives during training camps.

"We know that he doesn't give interviews and doesn't want to be disturbed," Gil told reporters. "I always try to help the media. He seems to think differently. But the media and the fans know who is prepared to talk when the going gets tough."

Referring to last week's trip to Cianorte for a Copa Brasil match, when Tevez travelled in Bermuda shorts, Gil added: "I went in long trousers as I had to. Why can he do it (travel in Bermudas) and not me."

Gil also denied reports that he did not pass the ball to the Argentine.

"I've always created chances throughout my career and I'm not going to change now. I don't know where this story came from. It's not true."

NO COMMENT

Passarella, who also faces discontent from former Benfica midfielder Roger because he is unhappy about being repeatedly substituted, would not comment on Gil's remarks.

"I'm from another generation and in my generation the players played and didn't talk," he said. "I talk to my players in the dressing room, eyeball to eyeball, and not via the media."

He added: "When I feel a player has to come off, he comes off."

Corinthians became rich overnight after signing a partnership deal with London-based Media Sports Investments (MSI) at the end of last year and since then have splashed out sums of money their rivals can only dream about.

The Tevez signing from Boca Juniors was the biggest deal between two South American clubs.

Since then, Corinthians have added Argentine defender Sebastian Dominguez, former Porto midfielder Carlos Alberto and repatriated left back Gustavo Nery from Germany's Werder Bremen as well as bringing in Roger and Passarella.

Critics of their partnership say that not enough is known about MSI and that the group's president, Iranian-born businessman Kia Joorabchian, has no experience in football.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=7912340&type=sportsNews

Looks like there is trouble in paradise...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts