Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
THE
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From official site

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005
Chelsea captain John Terry has been named Player of the Year by his fellow professionals.

At Sunday evening’s PFA awards, the major part Terry has played in Chelsea’s wonderful season was recognised as he beat five other nominees, including Frank Lampard and Petr Cech to the honour.

The Professional Footballers’ Association established the awards in 1974. Terry is the first Chelsea player to take the top title. He is also the first defender to win it since Paul McGrath back in 1993.

Lampard takes runner-up spot for the second year running having finished behind Thierry Henry 12 months ago. Henry this year came third.

Arjen Robben was in the running for the Young Player of the Year award, won last season by Scott Parker, but lost out to Wayne Rooney.

Robben did however make the PFA Premiership Team of the Season along with Terry, Lampard and Cech.

The full side is:

Petr Cech (Chelsea)

Gary Neville (Man Utd)

John Terry (Chelsea)

Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd)

Ashley Cole (Arsenal)

Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man City)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Frank Lampard (Chelsea)

Arjen Robben (Chelsea)

Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

Andy Johnson (C Palace)

------------

:)

·
THE
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone explane the fact that Robben made into the team but Rooney didn't?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nonsense, Complete and utter nonsense.

Very good player and I rate him but he hasn't even been the best in his team this season, Let alone the whole league.

How Henry didn't win this I will never know, Unless I've read the rules wrong this is based on INDIVIDUAL performances this season, Not collective.

So does anyone here disagree with me? Lampard has been better than Terry this season, Right?

·
THE
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the point of arguing here? This is one award made by a certain group and that's their decision. You can make your own award and give it to anyone you want. Please, let's not argue here and just say congrats to the man. And to Lamps as well, since he is runner- up.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Congrates Terry,

Lamps will take the continental and the world title.

·
1st Tier Poster
51,142 Posts
The right decision. He has been consistent all season, leading one of the strongest defenses in the world and scoring a ridiculuos amount of goals for a defender.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Congrats to John Terry & Chelsea, deserved I think.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Terry has become my favourite player since the beginning of this season. He is a consistent defender that generally possess good tactical discipline, ability to place himself well and, not to forget heading! He deserves a lot of praise for what Chelsea did.

Why not Henry? Because "to shine" while being a central defender is much harder task than being the one that score the goals. What always kept England NT away from another WC title is not poor attack but inconsistent defence(and to some extent, a midfield). Given that we find the English version of Cech, England would be unstoppable next year.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
JackoTheDon said:
No Maka, Ferreira and Or Gallas in team of year = YUK!
stop arguing, it is a decision made by a certain group, you want to make your own award then go ahead but this thread is only to congratulate. :finger:

well done Terry and well done Andy Johnson for beating Rooney.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
wd terry and lampard! great year for both players and i dont think they could have asked for anything better that that. wining the awad, the cup, the league and possibly even the CL all on the centenary, surely a great feeling :D

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Andy Johnson? LMAO maybe they included him just so he can take penalties. AJ and Rooney have scored the same amount of goals from open play, bt Rooneys have been better and I htink Rooney has generally performed better than AJ. Stupid, Stupid little men.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts