Xtratime Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Nah Krle, it has nothing to do with mentally being a midget. The other two are simply superior and more versatile players. In fact Fed's longevity is quite astonishing, and his game is more or less the same if you go back several years. Besides his hairline, it's hard to tell from footage alone if you're watching Fed from '19 or '14 for example. He has his ups and downs like all of them, but he has been fucking consistent if nothing else
That's another way of looking at it. But being up 4-1 and 0-40 just reeks of choking. I've watched too many Janko Tipsarevic games over the years, so I definitely know what choking is. ?

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Thiem wins in 4 sets...Zverev played well though and maybe this tournament was his breakthrough in some way.

Thiem now has a chance (again) to become the first player born in the 90s (aka Generation Useless) to win a GS. Ehh...won't happen.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Zverev did not play well at all. Only thing that helped him was the serve. Still way too far behind the baseline in rallies, still way too passive. Thiem was so easily beatable today. Zverev should have never lost set 2 (or 3 for that matter).

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That's another way of looking at it. But being up 4-1 and 0-40 just reeks of choking. I've watched too many Janko Tipsarevic games over the years, so I definitely know what choking is. ?
I'd say it's more due to physical fatigue than mental (way too easy to dump those kinds of slow velocity balls into the net). I'd say under Ljubicic his mental aspect has improved a bit, but prior to Ivan, there were definitely moments where he was truly mentally weak and would shit himself over the scoreboard, even if he was broken once. Not to mention, arrogant and didn't want to work for points.

He should have lost to Djokovic in 3, even with no fatigue, Djokovic is younger and a much overall better player at this point. I'm sure this time around Federer realizes that. If not, lol he's fooling himself. True he came within one match point at Wimbledon, but that's Wimbledon (Djokovic's weakest slam arguably speaking, Federer's best in terms of how he can use his game to avoid rallies, attack short bouncy balls, etc.) At the Australian Open and Roland Garros he has no chance in hell against Djokovic. Even the U.S. Open. It's just an impossibility at this point unless Djokovic is sick or injured in that match.

A bit strange to see Zverev make it this far. It's definitely because of that powerful serve, and good serves do give you an advantage when the points are close and when opponents lose theirs. But like always, once he gets that serve in assuming opponents return it...he starts "pushing" too much which is dumb. He needs to be aggressive and dictate most of the time. He also doesn't play the big points that well at all, unfortunately. I kind of wanted Thiem to get the job in 3, you need every possibly advantage against someone like Djokovic.

Thiem-Djokovic, really anyone's guess/game with Djokovic being the paper favorite for sure. Both of them kept it close in recent years with their head to heads. It's safe to say that Thiem's FINALLY adapted to hard courts. It took a really long time, but he's managed it now. He's far from perfect, does happen to make some silly unforced errors mentally or getting off position, but he does compensate at times with brilliant shot making on crucial rallies and points winning them in the process. It's really difficult to go against Djokovic's discipline, especially here where it feels almost like home sometimes. But I'll say based on Djokovic's own prediction that he's not sure the top 3 are major favorites anymore this particular season...(he felt like some of the younger guys are catching up to them both physically and a little bit gamewise) I'll go with Thiem as being that first guy to figure them out. Thiem in 5 sets.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Zverev did not play well at all. Only thing that helped him was the serve. Still way too far behind the baseline in rallies, still way too passive. Thiem was so easily beatable today. Zverev should have never lost set 2 (or 3 for that matter).
I felt Ivan Lendl would have corrected him in that regard, especially considering Andy Murray despite being a more defensive player was much more aggressive under Ivan and the hard work paid off. But when Zverev fired Ivan for being too hard on him, I kind of lost all hope lol.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
I felt Ivan Lendl would have corrected him in that regard, especially considering Andy Murray despite being a more defensive player was much more aggressive under Ivan and the hard work paid off. But when Zverev fired Ivan for being too hard on him, I kind of lost all hope lol.
Thing is you need to WANT to improve by listening to coaches. Am sure this is also why Boris Becker refuses to coach him.

As long as you think you know it better anyway you will not improve no matter who is coaching you. Am quite sure this is also the same with Kerber.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Women's final was horrible, didn't feel like a GS final at all. Could've been a random 2R match. Mugu sucked and chocked so badly that it wasn't even much of a challenge for Kenin (who wasn't exactly great either).

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Because I like Djokovic's style. Especially the backhand. Sure, if you ask me he should come to the net a bit more, but other than that I like the tennis.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Nole does it again...Generation Useless still at zero.

Thiem 1-6 in his career big finals (lost 2 FO, 1 AO, 1 WTF and 2 Madrid Open finals...won only at Indian Wells). Still this tournament was a huge step forward for him as he had no prior success in non-clay Grand Slams. And taking AO GOAT Nole to 5 sets is pretty impressive too.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sofia Kenin deserved the win. Yeah, it's true she's not talented, lacks power, is an average player. But credit to her for at least having common sense unlike 90% of WTA who have way too many double faults, ridiculous unforced errors and who give the freaking ball to their opponent like 100x on situations where they could have easily dictated. I too think it will be just a one time thing, perhaps she'll make a bunch of QF runs here and there, but I'm not sure she'll follow it up with a 2nd grand slam with her size and limitations. If she does...WTA will have reached an all time low. No disrespect to Kenin though.

Regarding the men's side. Wow...what can I really add? I'm not surprised it went the distance given the history these two have had in recent times. Roland Garros being a HUGE indicator of Thiem making Novak feel uncomfortable, much more than the other members of the top 3, Andy Murray and even Wawrinka. Thiem messed up big by not winning the 1st set against Djokovic. I'm not saying it's a must, but you definitely need to put yourself in a comfortable situation early on to increase your odds against him. The other thing is that Djokovic played the big points much better. That clutch factor kicked in. There were a few questionable shots by Thiem here and there, but for the most part he was solid. Having said that, there's on noticeable element that's HUGE for Thiem going into the rest of the season against Djokovic and could apply to others as well. There were times when Thiem make Djokovic "guess" the return of serves. Yes...that's right...I've never seen Djokovic that uncomfortable on ROS in my life. Thiem seems to be the guy to really actually make him guess during the 2nd and 3rd sets mostly. Eventually Djokovic got his returning groove back though.

It was a long night, but I'm happy to be wrong about the result, and I'm thrilled to see Djokovic with his 17th slam. His post-interview seemed pretty intense in a good way. He looks pumped or something, like he knows he can break 20. The confidence, the look in his eyes, "mamba mentality" is there. Will he do it though? An injury ruined him from potentially winning U.S. Open. That's the thing...if he can keep his body in check, he can at least keep it competitive to say the least.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Nice post Shia. ?

It's gonna happen boys. When you're able to win 2 finals in a row where you look like the inferior player, you know you're a true champ. ?

4 more to go!

·
1st Tier Poster
49,262 Posts
Indian Wells cancelled due to coronavirus.

Very strange decision, considering that LA marathon (27 000 people) took place only a day before. NBA and NHL games also still taking place.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts