Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,284 Posts
Kontaveit faces Halep in the qtr finals.

Anett led 5-1 in the decider then proceeded to choke. Iga won the next 4 games before Anett closed it out.
yeah I'm surprised she managed to save the match, probably would have lost if it had gone to tiebreak. I don't see her having much chance against Halep though.

Swiatek looks like a future slam winner.

·
Registered
17,499 Posts
So one semi final is set. The other should probably be Nadal vs Wawrinka or is anyone really believing in Zverev? Then again it is more likely Zverev wins than Thiem I would say.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That Federer win was crazy considering the circumstances. Sandgren should have moved Federer around as much as possible after he notices his drop in serve thanks to his leg, groin and other injury-related issues that popped up in the middle of that match. I don't understand why the moron tried to outplay him from the base. Extremely stupid. Eh I don't mind, I like Federer anyway. Even though many might consider this his greatest comeback win, I'm going to call this the greatest choke by a healthy player to a guy who had serious injury concerns. WTA level stuff from Sandgren, but anyways Kudos to Fed! Making is this far was above his expectations. He should have really been out to Millman early on, but he'll take the wins if opponents refuse to. Good on him. Too bad the Djokovic match won't even be competitive, but it is what it is. You have to be realistic. Djokovic should get the 3 sets and relax his mind and body before the final.

Regarding the other side, I do like what we're seeing here. We have another rematch between Nadal-Thiem in a different slam. While many will probably pick Nadal based on form, the surface and Thiem having a one-handed backhand...I'm actually going to give Thiem a shot here and say he'll survive in 5 crazy sets. Something in my heart tells me that it's the time now otherwise it will really crush his confidence. Thiem has been finally hitting the ball much better and harder on both sides of the racket in Australia than previous editions so he's stopped being more of a counter-puncher on the hardcourts. It all looks like it's coming together.

Wawrinka-Zverev is a weird one. One one hand it's funny to see Zverev go deeper than say Medvedev and Tsitsipas, yet at the same time he's been disciplined enough to dispatch his previous opponents in straight sets. I really don't know and won't be surprised whichever way it goes, but I'll stick with Wawrinka because I'm crossing my fingers for a Thiem-Wawrinka possibility even if the chances are really slim.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,284 Posts
Nole-Fed match actually had an interesting start as Roger only had to hold his serve game to win the first set 6-4... but of course he collapsed completely and gifted the game and the whole set to Nole, who destroyed him 7-1 in tb.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Congrats Tiger!

Routine win for Djokovic. Didn't even have to play his best tennis. I expect more of a challenge on Sunday.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Hasn't beaten Djokovic at a GS since 2012 and he was only 30 back then.

For the 'greatest ever' he sure is a mental midget. Up 4-1 and 0-40 and still bottles the first set. That's not age, that's just a case of cojones not being big enough.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,284 Posts

For the 'greatest ever' he sure is a mental midget. Up 4-1 and 0-40 and still bottles the first set. That's not age, that's just a case of cojones not being big enough.
he was a point away from winning Wimbledon last year

let's see if Nole plays at a Wimbledon final aged 38

Federer=GOAT

·
Registered
17,499 Posts

A lot of the greats have stopped winning titles aged 30+. Pete Sampras ended his career at 32 and won his only 30+ title at 31. Becker retired at age 31 and won the last title with 28. I don't think you can blame Federer for mental weakness. How else would you survive 7 match points?

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
He doesn't have to mate, Novak is not just some robotic, no personality tennis player. He's actually a fun and outgoing guy who cares more about his family than he does about tennis. He'll break Roger's records and he'll retire in style. ?

The only thing Roger fans have is that GS record, but there are so many other factors to consider when deciding who the GOAT is.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
A lot of the greats have stopped winning titles aged 30+. Pete Sampras ended his career at 32 and won his only 30+ title at 31. Becker retired at age 31 and won the last title with 28. I don't think you can blame Federer for mental weakness. How else would you survive 7 match points?
Because the other guys are even bigger mental midgets.

Federer won most of those titles because he had no serious competition. Once the other 2 arrived, it was basically game over. Hence, the mental midget title.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Nah Krle, it has nothing to do with mentally being a midget. The other two are simply superior and more versatile players. In fact Fed's longevity is quite astonishing, and his game is more or less the same if you go back several years. Besides his hairline, it's hard to tell from footage alone if you're watching Fed from '19 or '14 for example. He has his ups and downs like all of them, but he has been fucking consistent if nothing else

21 - 40 of 59 Posts