Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. where do I start....

Sheringham has made the World Cup again and I would like to complain about this. I believe that Sheringham is a myth, a Nationwide League quality striker who constantly gets hyped up by the media as a great player.

Sheringham has always been the darling of the media, mostly because sports writers in broadsheets like to pretend they are cleverer than everyone else and that they can pick up on subtle footballing abilities that the rest of us miss. So when the whole country was screaming out for Michael Owen to get into the team at WC 98, the broadsheets pooh-poohed this and said stuff like "Look how unsubtle you all are. He's just a goalscorer. We need Sheringham to link up the play."

These are the arguments that people advance in favour of Sheringham - he "links up the play," he is a "shadow striker," the man who gave his name to the "Sheringham position." All of these are part of the idea that he has abilities more subtle than just scoring goals.

To this I say BOLLOCKS.

1) Sheringham is not a provider of goals. He creates nothing, he's only had about 3 assists all season. OPTA says so.
2) Sheringham is not a scorer of goals. His finishing is awful and his goal tally is low. His goals to shots ration is sub 10%.
3) Sheringham does not possess any "cunning." And even if he does, what exactly does this famed footballing intelligence of his produce? Certainly not goals or assists.

He is a sort of "Emperor's New Clothes" player. Can't you appreciate his many talents? No? How ignorant you must be.

So, in conclusion: Sheringham is total pants and it's about time someone said so.

Opinions?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Opinions.....just one.

You sir, possess an insight which is sorely needed in the corridors of power at the F.A. The Svengali, diamond geezer though he is, doesnt seem able to tell his arse from his elbow when it comes to that so called "player" from the Spuds.

TEDDY OUT.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Hmmm...

Its funny who u think he cant score, BUT he hit like 25 goals for UTD last season! And made many assits in the process!

Not bad for a guy who is a "myth" ey?

I say Sherry is a great player BUT I wouldnt put him in my ENG squad, my strikers would be:

1. Owen
2. Fowler
3. Jansen
4. Beattie
5. Smith

They are a bunch of younger strikers BUT they are very skillful, fast and have the ability to score... Their youth would make them try extra hard and would after the world cup give them a good reputation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, so then you would class Andy Cole as a great player and you think he should get into two consecutive World Cup squads? Like Sheringham has done? And won a double player of the year award?

He completely outscored Sheringham during their time at Man U and has got 25 goals in a season far more than once.

Cole is a better player than Sheringham but the point about both of them is that they got goals on a plate because Man U were so far ahead of the rest. As soon as Sheringham left Man U, his goals dried up completely.

And you say he made "many assists," well, I for one can't remember him producing any Bergkamp-style defence-splitting passes, EVER....is it 2 or 3 assists in the whole of this season he's had? I forget.

This idea of him being some great support striker is just completely fictitious IMO. I have seen no evidence that Teddy Sheringham is anything other than a bad player.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
2 goals and an assist in the 4-1 demolition of Holland at Euro 96 ... scoring in a Champions League final ... Players Player of the Year a season or so ago ...

I think that might have something to do with it ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1) Well, that must make all of 3 good games for England out of about 50 then (you needed to go back 6 years to find one!) In France 98 he was the worst player in the whole tournament.

2) A flukey goal from 2 metres out which he didn't even hit properly.

3) He didn't deserve the award at all - that's my point!

Sheringham is a pile of old pants and you know he is. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmm Teddy Sheringham has something of a proven track record for England but nevertheless the age factor is a considerable concern along with the question of just how regularly he will feature in the team for Japan.

ooooohhh teddy, teddy, went tottenham hotspurs and he won fcuk all !!!

·
International
9,526 Posts
Gooner.com said:
1) Well, that must make all of 3 good games for England out of about 50 then (you needed to go back 6 years to find one!) In France 98 he was the worst player in the whole tournament.

2) A flukey goal from 2 metres out which he didn't even hit properly.

3) He didn't deserve the award at all - that's my point!

Sheringham is a pile of old pants and you know he is. :D
Sheringham is such a strong willed, determined individual that his mere presence on the pitch was often worth a goal to United. The whole team would lift when he walked on, and yes, he is a great goalscorer as well as distributor of the ball. Good grief, did no one see his goal against Greece after 10 seconds on the pitch:rolleyes: Not withstanding his goal against Newcastle in the FA cup final, and ofcourse the legendary goal against Bayern.
He's a big game player, and his experience and presence will be invaluable to England. He rises to the big occasion. As for 98, you've got to be joking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Sheringham has something of a proven track record for England"

Yes, a proven track record of mediocrity. 12 goals in 44 games.

"he is a great goalscorer as well as distributor of the ball."

He is neither. :)

"Sheringham is such a strong willed, determined individual that his mere presence on the pitch was often worth a goal to United."

Ahhhhh so he does get goals....even though he doesn't score them or set them up.....he magically produces them by being strong willed and determined. I stand corrected!

Oh and can we please stop picking out isolated goals as "proof" of Sheringham being a great player? In any case, the goal against Bayern was a miskick and I'm not convinced that he meant the one against Greece!

I repeat - HE IS A PILE OF OLD PANTS! THERE'S ONLY ONE MATT JANSEN! :)

·
International
9,526 Posts
Gooner.com said:
"!

Oh and can we please stop picking out isolated goals as "proof" of Sheringham being a great player? In any case, the goal against Bayern was a miskick and I'm not convinced that he meant the one against Greece!

I repeat - HE IS A PILE OF OLD PANTS! THERE'S ONLY ONE MATT JANSEN! :)
oh rubbish you miserable begger;) :D

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
People sorely underestimate Edward's abilities ... his brain is a yard quicker than anyone elses - I would love to see him ghosting from deep at SJP, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Teddy walked out of UTD and ARSE won the league!

POINT PROVEDN! ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Teddy walked out of UTD and ARSE won the league!"

But I thought it was all Veron's fault! :)

"People sorely underestimate Edward's abilities"

All I hear on TV, in the paper and on here is how great he is!

"... his brain is a yard quicker than anyone elses - I would love to see him ghosting from deep at SJP"

If I want a quick brain I'll buy a calculator. If I want a striker I'll pick one who either scores goals or sets them up. Sheringham does neither. :)

What exactly is the end product of his "quick brain" and all this "ghosting from deep" he's supposed to do?? It isn't him scoring and it isn't him setting goals up! To me this is just empty waffle which has been repeated ad infinitum by the press and TV until everyone believes it! (except me, I don't believe it!)

"oh rubbish you miserable begger"

ahahahahah

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Remember who scored to get you to the World Cup.
Hint: It was no Arsenal-striker...

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
tgv325 said:
Remember who scored to get you to the World Cup.
Hint: It was no Arsenal-striker...
It was an Arsenal midfielder - Ray Parlour. If his goal against Finland had stood, he'd have been praised as a national hero, and we wouldn't have needed Sheringham or Beckham to score. It was at least 2 feet over the line, but the referee didn't give it. If he had, Ray would be in Jeju right about now.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
In the end it was Greece to score against, right?
And I'd bet most of you would have kissed Teddy's a** when he scored that day!

·
International
9,526 Posts
Bastin said:

It was an Arsenal midfielder - Ray Parlour. If his goal against Finland had stood, he'd have been praised as a national hero, and we wouldn't have needed Sheringham or Beckham to score. It was at least 2 feet over the line, but the referee didn't give it. If he had, Ray would be in Jeju right about now.
thats a lot of Ifs. Why not just admit that it was Teddy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts