Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone explain to me the reasoning. In the end it's just another way of bastardizing this competition. It's match fixing. All teams in the competition should be in one pot and the only distinguishing factor should be place of finish, 1st or 2nd. If Platini is so against the idea of seeing all English semifinals, an easy way to fix that is to allow direct confrontations of these teams earlier in the competition.

So these teams play each other in their domestic league?? So what, this is European competition and such thought should not enter into the equation. It's also possible that with a system that doesn't block certain encounters, that a team from a "lesser":rolleyes: country could have a better chance of advancing.

I think that the competition would be better off if this rule was eliminated and thrown into a very dark room where the light of day could not reach it. In fact, I think intracountry encounters should be happening from the group stages. Anything to make the group stage more bearable is welcome, if not, scrap the stupid invention.

I know it won't happen, but it should.

Is anyone else bothered by this adultering of the competition.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Bastardizing. What a cool word!
Anyway, I agree with you. I hate EPL teams and i hope they all dont qualify for the CL ever, ever. I HATE THEM!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGH!!!

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's not a matter of hate for me. I just don't understand why these teams from the same country can't face each other in the round of 16? or the group stage. It's inexplicable from the point of having a fair competition.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
It is illogical too because "country protection" is removed at the 1/4 stage, when all four teams from one country - should they qualify - can still be separated.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
It's probably to add a 'European' flavour to it. It's boring coming up against the same teams you come up against in the domestic league. As for stopping the English teams, i can't help but think that's the main reason for your post. Sorry for my cynicism :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well it's not a matter of hate for me. I just don't understand why these teams from the same country can't face each other in the round of 16?
Because it'd be boring to see Roma and Juve or Arsenal and Liverpool play each other again in the CL after they did so in their league already.

The reason it's not so in the quarterfinals is because if you did that then one league would monopolize it too easily.

So there's a balance.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's probably to add a 'European' flavour to it. It's boring coming up against the same teams you come up against in the domestic league. As for stopping the English teams, i can't help but think that's the main reason for your post. Sorry for my cynicism :)
It's easy to be cynical, but trust me, I don't have any ill will to english teams. if they have success they have success, but I'm honestly looking for good reasons as to why this rule is in place. So far, i don't see any

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because it'd be boring to see Roma and Juve or Arsenal and Liverpool play each other again in the CL after they did so in their league already.

The reason it's not so in the quarterfinals is because if you did that then one league would monopolize it too easily.

So there's a balance.
But Juve-Roma and Arsenal-Liverpool play each other in the cup and people still pay attention. There shouldn't be separation of competition, everyone should be able to come up against everyone else at any moment, the only separator should be the 1st vs 2nd place in the round of 16. In my opinion

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
its not as exciting to see Arsenal - Pool in the semi finals, much less if they were all in the group stage. the appeal of the CL is distant teams playing distant teams!

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
to me European flavor would be not having the same matches over and over once it reaches 1/8, how many times Chelsea vs Barcelona is enough?

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
to me European flavor would be not having the same matches over and over once it reaches 1/8, how many times Chelsea vs Barcelona is enough?
:confused:

Isn't that the wrong example? shouldn't it be 'how many times Chelsea v Liverpool is enough'?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I´more pissed at those teams not facing off in Group stage.

I would be for fewer groups and more teams.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
It is illogical too because "country protection" is removed at the 1/4 stage, when all four teams from one country - should they qualify - can still be separated.
No, it's not illogical because it would be virtually impossible to maintain the "country protection" when there are only 8 teams with high chances that they come from no more than 3 or 4 countries.

I also disagree with this rule and it's another way to show how biased the current CL format is towards protecting the "big" clubs from "big" countries.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
The system is odd. We have 4 potential opponents out of the draw. Which is stupid, it creates an unbalanced draw. But my own personal opinion is that seeding of any kind sucks eggs, there should just be a totally open draw for the whole tournament in my opinion. But I'm sure someone will object. :D

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I object:pp

I think seeding should be applied for the round of 16 draw. I think if you win your group, you have "earned" the right to play a 2nd place team from another group. However, seems this year, finishing 1st is almost more punishing!

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Someone explain to me the reasoning. In the end it's just another way of bastardizing this competition. It's match fixing. All teams in the competition should be in one pot and the only distinguishing factor should be place of finish, 1st or 2nd. If Platini is so against the idea of seeing all English semifinals, an easy way to fix that is to allow direct confrontations of these teams earlier in the competition.

So these teams play each other in their domestic league?? So what, this is European competition and such thought should not enter into the equation. It's also possible that with a system that doesn't block certain encounters, that a team from a "lesser":rolleyes: country could have a better chance of advancing.

I think that the competition would be better off if this rule was eliminated and thrown into a very dark room where the light of day could not reach it. In fact, I think intracountry encounters should be happening from the group stages. Anything to make the group stage more bearable is welcome, if not, scrap the stupid invention.

I know it won't happen, but it should.

Is anyone else bothered by this adultering of the competition.
Money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts