Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Normal Human
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be able to define Juventus' style of play?

It's somewhat English in approach at times barring the extreme hustle and bustle and ping pong manner of the EPL.

The 442 formation typifies the EPL style with no real creative midfielder and the extreme "use" of wingers(who hardly cut inside)
The three pronged attack is something that as of yet i am unfamiliar.

The first leg CL game against Real Madrid was an episode of defending and hoping for the best. The loss of Nedved must have been a big blow for Capello's strategy but apart from that.. The teams's structure and play was quite below average. Real Madrid is a strong team( collection of individual brilliance) but Juventus must be able to impose their style on everyone.

I am not claiming the team was exceedingly poor, but captain DP and the boys struggled.

I hardly see Juventus games anymore(more like never) my only concern is that we seem to have the same missing link from the last games that I saw. No creative midfielder means the play is haphazard and structureless. Camoranesi can hold the ball i suppose.. but what about a more central player who holds the ball and distributes vertically as well as horizontally?

Obviously such a player can be locked down (or an attempt made) but a deeper lying midfielder should be able to operate in a similar role.

Do we play a pressing game now, do we stifle with passing or do we hoof it up the field when it gets a bit uncomfortable and see who can find whom in a promising area?

This post is simply to learn more from the Juventus fans who actually see games and therefore have better information on the team style and potential.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't like the 4-4-2 formation, I much more preffer the 4-3-3 formation. In my opinion, striking force is much more important then the midfield. If you have two good defensive midfielders and one attacking midfielder like Nedved, that's enough. You can use the right and left defenders as wingers.
I think that the problem is the lack of a real scorer upfront because we get lots of chances to score. Del Piero is more a creator then a scorer and Ibrahimovic looks like he preffer to dribble and pass nice balls then to score. Trezeguet isn't such a good scorer in my opinion and we can't trust Zalayeta because sometimes he has great games and sometimes he is low then average. We also must find a replacement for Nedved, he isn't getting better.

And it's nice to see you posting here again... :thumbsup:

·
Normal Human
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to think Zambrotta is underutilised in his defensive capacities. He is very good at defence indeed, however 'twould be exciting to see him terrorising from upfield..although his pace and skill allows him to play neat intricate passes on the wing (if using wingers that is) in tandem with a player out wide.

Zlatan has never been known to be an out and out goal scorer. Trez is still the best bet for goals as he is a natural. I'm a bit old fashioned and suppose i prefer to pack the midfield to support the defence and the strikers as is needed. In Juventus' case a packed midfield will do more to support the defence than aid the strikers.

If it is true that Ambrosini may arrive ..that would be a quite profitable addition as he surely suits Juventus' game more than Milan's at the moment. He should be able to contribute a few goals per season..maybe double digits or just below.

As you said Juventini the 3 pronged attack probably does work better and wiil probably be an improvement for the aimless play witnessed at the Bernabeu.

Fortunately aimless or not Juventus are still on top. Maybe Capello will tinker a bit...maybe not.

Cannavaro and Thuram should be massaged constantly and given holy water injections to ensure they don't get ...won't mention the word...but no one wants Paolo on the field in a big game.

BTW . Does anyone yearn for a 3 5 2? or 3 4 1 2?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
in terms of a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, i dont think it can work at juve until they get a right sided player who can play like zambrotta does. Miguel has been rumoured numerous times now and i suppose he would be the best player to get for this. Also, it would mean purchasing a true playmaker, someone who is able to create and do what zidane did for many years. So until this happens, then i dont think it can be used.

If Chiellini can return for left back, then zambrotta should be used further up and that would be great. but it means that nedved may be shifted. I still think the main problem at juve right now is the style of nedved and how the team still seems to over utilise his qualities as a player. dont get me wrong, he is brilliant and i respect everything he has done for the club, but over the past few years, under lippi and now capello, they rely so heavily on him and his characteristics. Hence, he is a powerful hard working player but doesnt have great creativity as a player, and this is one reason why the team lacks the good offensive game. Add to this having blasi, tacchinardi or appiah next to Emerson in central midfield, it really doesnt give you much.

Currently, with nedved missing, having del piero, zlatan and hopefully trezeguet can be the experiment needed to show that the team can be more creative. del piero is showing better form which is always a positive as he is one player who can help score goals a lot more.

I really do believe as a whole, the club needs some major signings and some major sellings. Just like when Lippi rejoined, i think moggi should bring in some new stars and sell some current ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts