Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about Taffarel?

I know a lot of people don't like him. They say he never was really good with Brazil, only stopping a few penalties. But I really like this guy. I was so happy for him when he was the hero of the World Cup semifinal and finally people started to call him Saint Taffarel.

Sure, he is not the best goalkeeper in the world. But he was dependable for Brazil for many, many years and many World Cups. And he was the goalkeeper when Brazil finally won the Cup again for the first time since 1970! We should not forget that.

I don't think anyone gave Taffarel enough credit for being a solid goalkeeper for a long time. By the way, he just won the Turkish championship with Galatasaray.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
falcao,
although he saved us in the 88 olympics, 94 and 98 WC...I don't like him. He took to many silly goals...spacially agasint Argentina in 93& 95 and that terrible nightmare of losing to Bolivia in 93.
I got some friends in Brazil that say that after Tafarrel took the goal by a little kid in the Parmalat advert..he never again was teh same!. And that is TRUE :) :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor...ate o fim.
LHP - THE WORLD IS OURS!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ze da fiel, that's very funny about the parmalat commercial. i didn't know that. but tell me this: what brazil goalkeeper do you remember who were better than taffarel? i think he is the best i have seen. i know he's not great, but i think people don't give him any credit at all. he did a very good job for brazil.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Falcao,
Taffarel was good for us until 91....after he layed a friendly against Wales in cardiff his form went down.
He was on the bench for parma for over 1 year , because of internationals placemets in the team etc...
Ok he saved us on the penaltis but that's it...although when we really needed him he was their, but he was not all that great , with the exception of the 88 olympics and teh 90 WC when he was voted the best keeper of the tournament.
We've have had many good keepers such as Gilmar (probabaly the best), Leao , Castilho (back in the 50's), even Barbosa might have been better than taffarel...but I never saw them play. Barbosa in fact won every single possible title except the WC! And got blamed for that goal of Ghiggia for the rest of his life. He died last month :(

In the decade, Zetti (ex- Sao Paulo, today Fluminense) on his day was better than taffarel, so was Ronaldo (ex- Corinthians) was also better. Veloso when he played in palmeiras also.

Today we are well served of keepers...as Dida, Marcos (palmeiras), Rogerio (Sao Paulo), Helton (Vasco), Carlso Germano (Santos)..they are all better than Taffarel.

The thing was that Zagallo loved Taffarel because of experience and because he trusted him. But the whole nation hated Taffarel...me included

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i know all of brazil hates taffarel. i really don't understand. that's why i was so happy when all the newspapers called him saint taffarel after the world cup game with holland.

do you really think dida and these guys today are better than taffarel? look at dida now. he is a mess, ze da fiel! i like dida, but he is too comfortable because luxemburgo just gave him the job. dida thinks all he has to do is put on some gloves and he will be the goalkeeper for brazil. he is not working hard anymore for brazil. in the ecuador game, all he did was make one nice save on the ground and the take the ball out of the net two times so the referee could start the game again. he didn't even move on the two goals ecuador scored.

i think luxemburgo has to use another goalkeeper so dida will know he has to work to earn the job in the olympics! if he keeps playing this way for brazil, the olympic gold medal will again not go to the land of meus sonhos!

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
falcao,
agree with you that DIda doe slook a bit to shy and compfortable, but that's his way..he never shows emotions!! not even in corinthians themost emotional team of brazil and probably of the world :)
I don't think he will take Dida to the olympics , I would go with Helton ..and give him some experience.
If Dida goes bad their is Marcos, C. Germano , Rogerio or even Clemer...no worries

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Well, whoever saw him perform in today's UEFA cup final, possibly has to say Taf played superbly tonight.

Plus Galatasaray managed the triple. Turkish league may not be the world's strongest, but with tough schedules and constant pressure, we all know the triple is a very fine achievement.

However, that horrible stabbing habit of their fans has to be stopped at any cost.

CESF

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Taffarel was solid as a rock tonight. Galatasaray deserved it's victory. BTW, why was Hagi sent off? The Finnish TV missed the first half of overtime. Some of Hagi's tricks today were unbelievable...

NESF
NESC

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Taffarel was brilliant tonight.Especially that save in Henry's header VERY few goallies in the world would make it (Buffon is one of them :)).

Hagi was sent off for hitting Adams at the back because he got mad when the english defender tried to elbow him.Lopez Neto (the BEST referee in Europe behind Collina in my opinion) decided to dismiss Hagi and give a yellow to Adams.In my opinion he should have:
a)sent both of them out
or
b)give a yellow card to both of them

Senting off the one and warn the other was a bit harsh for Galatasaray.But I bet they dont mind after all. :)

------------------
Any given Sunday,you either win or loose.That's FOOTBALL...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
By the way,is there any chance for Capone or Silvinho to get a chance with thwe national team? both of them were fanatastic tonight and with the lack of right backs Capone could be a solution.

------------------
Any given Sunday,you either win or loose.That's FOOTBALL...

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Taf was fantastic tonight! His saves in extra time kept Gala in the game! :) Ze even you must admit he was great! He's little boy is so cute as well! Much better looking than Beckham's brat!

Kaf, Hagi was sent off for punching Adams in the back...it was a little harsh in the eyes of Alan Hansen and myself...but everyone else seemed to agree!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
taffarel was the reason why gala won, but they did play better than arsenal i must admit :( capone spent half his playing time on the ground, and hagi was arguing about everything. in my opinion, he deserved to get sent off, and adams a yellow card. adams was only trying to fend off hagi who was clearly holding him back and tugging him. then when adams nearly got away, he punched him in the head.
there must have been like 7 yellow cards, many bad tackles :(
it was quite a good game though

------------------
LOOSE MOOSE

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
I din't see the game.....but I'm sad cause an english team lost..but happy cause Taffarel and Bruno Quadros won....and they put the name BRASIL on the top :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UEFA CUP: Galatasaray gives Turkey first Cup title

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (May 17, 2000 6:16 p.m. EDT http://www.sportserver.com) - Galatasaray became the first Turkish team to win the UEFA Cup when it beat Arsenal of England 4-1 in a penalty shootout Wednesday after a day of fan violence.

The game ended 0-0 after regulation and extra time.

Riot police used tear gas to disperse rival fans who were throwing chairs and bottles in a downtown square. At least three people were stabbed and at least 10 arrested in the violence that started late Tuesday night.

Penbe Ergun, Hakan Sukur, Davala Umit and Gheorghe Popescu scored for Galatasaray in the shootout.

Davor Suker, who came in as a substitute in the overtime, and Patrick Vieira both missed penalties for Arsenal. Suker hit the post and Vieira hit the crossbar.

Ray Parlour was the only Arsenal player to connect, making it 2-1.

At least 12,000 flag-waving, singing Turkish fans celebrated the win in the Parken Stadium.

Galatasaray's march to its most glorious triumph since the club was founded nearly 100 years ago included wins over such clubs as Bologna of Italy, Borussia Dortmund of Germany, Real Mallorca of Spain, and finally, Leeds United in last month's ill-fated semifinals when two English fans were stabbed to death in Istanbul before the match.
------------------------------
amoroso, i know silvinho has been named by luxemburgo for some upcoming brazil matches. he will play. remember, roberto carlos will miss a couple of games because of real madrid commitments.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I know his present comdition more than all of u since i have been watching him constanltly with Galatasaray in Turkey and what i have to tell u is

He is excellent :) He is solid as a rock.

U kow what Galata players say about him??
that when he is on the field they have more courage and confidence to play their football. He inspires them with his skills and personality.

He has been constantly good in all 3 years in Turkey and also outside in european campaign. He saved Galata many times in several occasions.

Most importartant of all, today in the game,

HE WON THE PRIZE FOR MAN OF THE MATCH!! :)

wHAT ESE SHOULD I SAY?? A PLAYER SHOWS HIS REAL QUALITY IN SUCH GAMES AND TAFFAREL ONCE AGAIN TONIGHT SHOWED ALL THE WORLD THAT HE IS STILL THE BEST!!! :) :) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts