Xtratime Community banner

Which one of the two great keepers is better?

• Taffarel

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Dida

Votes: 11 61.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you Brazil supporters think is the better keeper? Taffarel or Dida? Dida has shown a lot of improvements throughout the years, and from his recent performance in the Euroderby, some people think he is better than Buffon! What do you guys think?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
1) Marcos
2) Dida

Taffarel

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Marcos is better than Dida, he's still number one in my book.

And Dida and Taffa are actually very similar in many ways, two cool-deaded and excellent penalty-kick catchers with experience in the Serie A. I think Taffarel was better than Dida... But it must be said that Dida faces much stronger competition in his generation than Taffa ever did in his, we've never had so many class goalies to choose from. There are Dida and Marcos, the energetic Julio Cesar, "the freekick master" Rogerio Ceni, Fabio (technically the most similar to Dida and Taffa), the hot-tempered Fabio Costa, "the black cat" Helton, and i'm sure I must be forgetting someone.

The overall level of our keepers has certainly improved in the past decade, largely due to the development of more modern 'keeper preparation techniques in Brasil. Now our best goalkeeping-coaches use videotapes of their pupils' performances shot from behind the goal, where everything the player does during the 45 minutes can be dissected and turned into statistics, which allow them to work on the specific technical details that need to be perfected. So if the keeper receives backpasses from the defense 13 times during the game and commits mistakes on 7 of those occasions, the coach will be able to determine exactly which situations are most problematical, and then prepare specific training drills to correct the identified mistakes. Goalkeeping is a very specialized position, and it's about time that very specialized training programs were created for them. ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
As I said, I was SURE I was forgetting someone. ;) Thanks, kaiserh.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Tough decision. I suggest we make a poll out of this. ;)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
kaiserh said:
you forgot Gomes,he is also doing great.

he was horrible in the first leg of the semis against lyon. ind the second he was average at best. in the penalties he was lucky because they were taken really poorly.

apart from those 2 matches i haven't seen him but he can't be that good.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hmmmm, thought he did quite well in fact.

First leg: In the goal the ball took a small deflection at Alex which was enough to beat him as the play happened in a short distance from the net. And in either case he more than compensated in that chance Govou had in front of the net: he kept his cool and read the side Govou would shoot... That was a crucial save: had they concede there, don't think PSV would recover.

Always thought of him as a goalkeeper which in difficult plays can pull a miraculous save but on the other hand complicates himself in supposedly easy plays. He should have a nice career as with more experience he should improve in his deficiencies.

Oh, and Taffarel in the poll.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sir Garrincha - So who do you think will get Dida's vote in 2006? Marcos was excellent in 2002, but Dida perhaps deserves going to his 3rd Copa as 1st choice now.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
acdc81 said:
he was horrible in the first leg of the semis against lyon. ind the second he was average at best. in the penalties he was lucky because they were taken really poorly.

apart from those 2 matches i haven't seen him but he can't be that good.
thats not I what I saw from the highlights and PSV fans confirmed it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
well if we want to talk about who was better with the NT TAFFAREL and then MARCOS..
but who is better as a gk of course DIDA..
DIDA is the best brazilian gk ever, he is very talented... ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Rei Volante said:
Sir Garrincha - So who do you think will get Dida's vote in 2006? Marcos was excellent in 2002, but Dida perhaps deserves going to his 3rd Copa as 1st choice now.
If I were NT coach, Marcos would be the starting keeper in the 2006 WC, with Dida as first reserve. But I believe Dida will be our number one in 2006.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dida is great , Marcos is good also .
I think Dida has the upper hand against Taffarel because he is a lot taller . Dida also plays with AC Milan and plays against tough opponents week in week out , Taffarel and Marcos don't save shots from the likes of Adriano , Vieri , Recoba , Zalayeta , Trezeguet ...... etc

I really liked Helton of Uniao de Leiria in Portugal , he is a former Vasco goalkeeper . I saw him a couple of times and I was very impressed !!!! I think he should move to a better club and maybe get to selecao one day .

Jefferson of Botafogo is quite good too .

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Jefferson is the worst kind of keeper, the one who makes four awful mistakes and then makes one great, acrobatic, jumping-across-the-goalmouth save that fools people into believing he's a great goalie. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
I've seen Dida week in week out in Serie A and he is IMO the best keeper in world football :star: It's no mean feat considering that he's playing in a country with a production line of great goalkeepers in their history.

Dida in full flight making strings of miraculous saves weekly is a joy to watch and Milan's record of 6 consecutive cleansheets (& counting) in the Champions League is very much down to his heroics between the posts. I'll certain us Milanisti will not swap him even for the likes of Buffon or Casillas :stuckup:

From what I've seen of Taffa during the Olympics in 1988, the World Cup in 90, 94 & 98, the Copa America in 95 & 97, and his stint in Serie A with Parma, I rate the current Dida higher than Taffa. Though Taffa has the edge in terms of honors at the international stage and caps.

I've not seen much of Marcos to pass a judgment on him, but he was superb during Brasil's WC win in 2002, and if he can repeat his WC form, Brasil's weakest link in the past will be in safe hands (excuse the pun) for WC 2006.

I think Dida, Marcos and Julio Cesar will be picked for the WC next year, with Dida as the 1st choice keeper. ;)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Marcos is more solid going out of the goal, although this year has been bad for him, he had problems with his hands and had to undergo surgery, he just came back from injury and his form is not that great.

But if it was to take Dida´s and Marcos´s best form, Marcos would have an edge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts