·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Uruguay is trying to go back because the last time we ever did anything well was in 1990 when he was in charge (amazing Copa America, Great Qualifying campagn, Great Pre World cup friendlies <beat england 2-1 in wembley too> and a good world cup <dominated spain, lost well to Belgium and beat Korea's 11 men defense <but played bad> ..................then lost to Italy in a game where Uruguay played really well the first half (defensively of course)

Then Cubilla ****ed it all up with the "War against the European-Uruguayans" that killed the morale. (then the 98 fiasco with the 5 coaches we fired........it went bad from 94 forward <yes...even if we won the Copa America>

Maybe we can start over from Tabarez (who coached Calgiari, Roma, Boca (legendary campagn that ended their bad luck), Penarol (Lib winners)

Im sure Tabarez has learned new things in the last few years.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I dont think we should bother discussing anything till half way through the qualifying. If the team is doing well then we can talk about what should we be doing, but if its the same old story your wasting your breath

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
If we wait to discuss this until half way through qualifing I doubt this forum wil sill be around.

Tabarez says he wants to go back to the 4-3-3 formation.

Is that really a 4-3-1-2, with the 1 being an enganche?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No he said that it's what Uruguay's most perfered/classic formation
(IE: Punteros.........fast players running up the flanks <like Ghigia <sp?>)

I heard many times Kesman say that Uruguay always played well when they played like that.

I like Tabarez's proposal. BTW, he's doing this complete restructuring of Uruguayan football and he's staying for TEN YEARS (Teledoce.com).

Im very excited because (unlike Carrasco) this seems more realistic than having Uruguay attack with 6 forwards.

The last time Uruguay did this (the "complete change") was in 1978 (when we failed to qualify to the WC but had already been playing bad since 74) and look what we acomplished.
1) Copa America 1983
2) Copa America 1987
3)2nd in Copa America 1989
4) Mundialito 1980
5) Copa Libertadores 1980
6) Copa Libertadores 1981
7) 2nd Copa Libertadores 82
8) Copa Libertadores 87
9) Copa Libertadores 88

10) Qualify World cup 86
11) Qualify World Cup 90

I'd say it was a successful Era (the 80s) :) ....so Im excited.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
btw Seba we'd prob have 3 forwards now and the new 4-3-3 is custom made for players like Estoyanoff to shine.

It's most likely something like 4...2-1...3 ........or 4....1-2....3 OR just straight 4-3-3 (straight line of 3 mids)

so
GK
D----D-----D-----D
Garcia ----Perez/Pouso
Recoba
Estoyanoff......Forlan.........Castro/Vicente Sanchez (HELL YEAH!!)

(It's good that we're finally giving the straight "2 forward" attack a break after so many mediocre partnerships (Dario Silva/ Abreu .....Chevanton/Dario Silva.........Forlan/Zalayeta............CHENGE/who ever

Im looking forward to this new change.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Along with Tabarez obviously comes along Casal..
The main reason he is hired, and the main reason he asked to be in charge of the youth teams is to promote his players..

Ever since he was coach last time Casal was very involved..
Casal was in the locker room every match at half time at the 90' WC..
And the main reason he has landed jobs at Cagliari, Roma, Boca and other big teams in becuase of Casal..

That is beside the point however, our best players are undoubtibly in Europe and Tabarez will play the best no matter what..
I have faith in him because he is a very serious coach, and really keeps up with the times, he still takes FIFA Coaching classes and is up to date on everything..

With the limited options we are downsized to, i don't think we could have picked a better coach.. This is a step in the right direction, and i see us going far, we just have to give el 'Maestro' time..

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I don't think so. It seems like the same old crap from . Nothing will change. Do you really think his so called tatics are going to change our off the field problems that plague us.

Unless we kick Casal out nothing will change, and it will only get worse. We have talent so maybe it will seem things are improving at times, but results will be the same in the end.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only off field problems would be if the Coach had a problem with Casal.
But since the players are totally in favour of CAsal (Wouldnt you be?), the only problem that there could be would be to not have the AUF pay the player's money that they owe them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts