Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's derby day so logic, history and players' form will have very little to do with the final score of this Cup semi final.

Our opponents come from one of the most humiliating performances of their history, have a 35 year old as their best player and are "coached" by a man that barely knows how to articulate a sentence but that doesn't count when they play against us. I am not expecting a weak Benfica because after all, clássico é clássico.

Our very very short squad is, as it has been usual this season, struggling with injuries.
In the back, we are still missing Polga, the boss of our defence, his (poor) substitute Gladstone did not train until yesterday and Grimi is also coming out from an injury. Besides all this, Ronny is suspended and Paulo Renato is still injured.
In midfield now that finally Farnerud seemed to be showing some glimpses of usefulness, he is out. Izmailov is also doubtful and was absent from training until yesterday.

Still, the good news are that Derlei is back! Paulo Bento surprised everybody by calling the striker that has been out of the pitches in the last 6 months. Will he, a former lampião, be the key to put us in the final? We'll see.

Here is the list of players called by PB for the game that will kick-off later on at 21h30 CET:

Goalkeepers:
Rui Patrício and Tiago.

Defenders:
Pedro Silva, Abel, Tonel, Gladstone and Grimi.

Midfielders:
Miguel Veloso, Adrien, Izmailov, Pereirinha, João Moutinho, Romagnoli, Celsinho and Vukcevic.

Forwards:
Purovic, Derlei, Yannick Djaló and Liedson.

The great Brazilian striker Manoel beating the also great Benfica keeper Bento on a Cup game in Alvalade in 77.
We won 3-0 with a hat-trick of this gentleman.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Filipe,

Such respect for your opponents....
Your cant can't say anything else but "simplesmente and absolutamente", etc etc..

I have no idea what you meant with your post. Maybe if you say it in Portuguese I will understand better.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to MaisFutebol it seems that Gladstone did not recover from his injury which means that Miguel Veloso will replace him in the centre of our defence and Adrien will play as defensive midfielder...exactly what I wanted to see. :)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is our official line-up:

Rui Patrício

Abel - Tonel - Miguel Veloso - Grimi

Adrien Silva

João Moutinho - Vukcevic

Romagnoli

Liedson - Yannick Djaló​

With the players available today, this is for me our best possible XI.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Great to see Adrien get the nod, can't wait to see how he does.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Di Maria das Dores diving like a swan in our box but gets into the book for that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
According to MaisFutebol it seems that Gladstone did not recover from his injury which means that Miguel Veloso will replace him in the centre of our defence and Adrien will play as defensive midfielder...exactly what I wanted to see. :)
:dielaugh::dielaugh:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
0-2 HT

Another poor first half from our side but this time we are not playing against minnows. The game was balanced until Rui Costa's goal but after that we accused the blow and Benfica took control. The second goal did not come as a surprise although it had a lot to do with the fact that apparently Grimi did not recover 100% from the injury that almost kept him out of this game. We had an interesting reaction in the last 15' but now it's obvious that Benfica is very confident.

Unless things change dramatically in the way both teams are playing I don't see us getting back from this one.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
Di Maria das Dores diving like a swan in our box but gets into the book for that. :thumbsup:
Well he is the second best player in the field.

Romagnoli is a joke.......Sporting can score and might do it in the second half because our defense is average bu Benfica can score in almost any attack......

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well he is the second best player in the field.

Romagnoli is a joke.......Sporting can score and might do it in the second half but with that defense and midfield Benfica will score also.

I don't think Di Maria is the second best player in the field and he actually can be happy for being still in the game as he stupidly kicked a ball away after being caught offside. Luckily for him this ref has been quite relaxed.

Romagnoli is totally out of form and that has been the case in most of this second half of the season. He is a great player but he is simply out of shape.

We are struggling in the back for the same reason that we struggled in the back against Rangers: there is no boss. Anderson Polga is showing how much he is the real owner of this defense and Miguel Veloso is also missing in the DM place. We just can't cope with so many absences.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
I don't think Di Maria is the second best player in the field and he actually can be happy for being still in the game as he stupidly kicked a ball away after being caught offside. Luckily for him this ref has been quite relaxed.

Romagnoli is totally out of form and that has been the case in most of this second half of the season. He is a great player but he is simply out of shape.

We are struggling in the back for the same reason that we struggled in the back against Rangers: there is no boss. Anderson Polga is showing how much he is the real owner of this defense and Miguel Veloso is also missing in the DM place. We just can't cope with so many absences.
I have my doubts it is offside...need to see again the replay.
I agree 100 per cent about Polga.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts