Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We looked solid against the Japs, and the moral boost we got from beating China and qualifying is showing and will grow further with today's win.

I think the support from people like Haluk Ulusoy is vital and should be recognised as an important part of keeping our team focused and in good spirits.

Only thing is I'd really like to see us try to score more than one goal, because a single goal still keeps the opposition's hopes alive. We need to kill the game and their hopes with more goals, we need two strikers.

Haydi Türkiye, Sizinle gurur duyuyoruz!!!

-------------------------------
Quarter Final 4
Senegal v Türkiye
Osaka | Sat Jun 22 2002 | 12:30 BST

·
Registered
23 Posts
One goal is definetly is not enough.

At the end of todays game around 86th minute, I closed my eyes cause I thought that unluckiness of this number would bring another goal to shatter our dreams.

But the luck of Collina was better. :)

Öldük öldük dirildik valla...

Playing against Senegal would be difficult. Maybe much more difficult to play against Brazil, because Senegalese footballer are playing not only for their country but for all Africa and France also.

It will be a very interesting game.

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
Only thing is I'd really like to see us try to score more than one goal, because a single goal still keeps the opposition's hopes alive.
Besides, the opponent team will come a lot more affective than Japan did yesterday;)

However, I don't see Gunes playing with 2 strikers:rolleyes:

He'll continue with 4-5-1:confused:

Senagal players are fast and we have to stop them before they come close to the box, otherwise they'll take advantage of that:)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
We need at least one goal before the 80th minute, I am certain of that because if it is a 0-0 game before stoppage time, I am sure that Diouf will race past a tired Bulent and send us home.

However, if we are able to counterattack well (hopefully, Ilhan will come in earlier as well), we have a good shot.

But I think Hakan will run by himself until the 60th minute, until Yildiray is taken out for Ilhan at some point:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Senegal is not Japan.....they are more aggressive and much more skillful. They attack with all the team, they play a 5-4-1 formation where their wingers are very offensive. They are a team that switches fast from defence to attack. Big selfconfidence among the team. Hopefully we can bring them down to earth.....some many others have failed.

Emre will be back and maybe Okan, but I don´t know if he should play....it depends on his form. If Hakan starts....he shouldn´t play all alone on top...let Ilhan be his partner and hopefully we can defeat Sengal.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
That's exactly the problem, Hakan is not E.H.Diouff; he needs a partner. Did anyone notice that he and Yildi' seemed to ignore each other today? Maybe I'm getting paranoid.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
This is good stuff for Turkey?

Is this the first time you made it so far in the WC??? :)

just don't let the Senegals screw you over, cause they think there lucky somehow?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I agree Hakan, him and Yildiray don´t pass each other......Hakan only complains about the bad passes...he never presses the ballholder like he did under sayin. Terim. Hakans glory days are over....he is not willing enough......he is playing 1/8 final and he don´t give a ****. He makes me so angry, and senol won´t take him off. He should know that his place in the staring 11 is not to taken for graunted. Man I wish Umit Karan was in the squad.....he would at least scored one goal.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
yes, Maestro !! I cannot imagine Umit not scoring!! Impossible!!

Do we need Hakan? For what do we need him? I don`t understand it?

I need a simple explanation!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've been saying Ümit Karan should've been in the squad, but I think he was injured or wasn't chosen because of his poor domestic scoring record, anyway, it's too late for that now! I think Hakan would play a lot better if he was partnered with Ilhan.

I also don't think that Yildiray (or any other player) would deliberately not pass to Hakan, I guess that the thought is born out of the fact that Hakan can't do anything with the ball once he gets it, it's so frustrating to se him f*ck up every single time. He should do better with arial balls, but always allows the defender to get infront of him!!!

As much as I wish we'd play with two strikers (Hakan and Ilhan) I don't think it'll happen, Günes is very cautious and the good performance against Japan will mean we'll start in the same manner.

I know Senagal are a better team than the Japanese, but they're not better than us, we just have to prove that on Saturday!

We need to be very determined, hard working, work for each other, get tight in defence and midfield, be patient, concentrate on not making mistakes and to take the game to the Senegalese. Hakan has to score sooner or later!!!

Positive aspects from the Japan game are that we don't have any new (nazar deymesin) injuries or suspensions and that the Emres (especially) Belozoglu are back! Rüstü didn't show any signs of his thigh/hamstring injury he had in the CR and China games, which to me is a great relief. I was also impressed with Ergün's hard work and running! We also looked a lot more self-assured, confident, mature and solid!

I'm proud, but it would be the greatest shame to come so far and not make the semis, and I really want revenge against B-REZIL!!! :fero:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Radioman said:

I'm proud whatever the result, but it would be the greatest shame to come so far and not make the semis, and I really want revenge against B-REZIL!!! :fero:
This is what I want as well.

If Okan is back, I want him to feature in our line up. We need somone who can break down the line and cross on th right, we got none. Umit cannot serve as a winger.

------------------------tugay---------------

okan-----------------emre----------------sas

----------------------yildiray-----------------

i would even tak out yildiray to put in davala for him. Yildiray has just been too ineffective so far.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I´ve just read that Sengals training today was cancelled becuase the players where so tired. And that the coach was amazed with it.....To me it sounds like a lot of bull****, the pshycological game is on aswell. They dance all night but they are to tired to practise....yeah right!!

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Hopefully Senegal can come in out of shape for this match. Maybe we won't give up a late goal then:cool:

I don't think Yildiray should be taken out though. his skill will be needed against Senegal.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Basturk , Davala , Emre , Sas . What a midfield-your strength.
Basturk needs to get his game back , ever since the brazil's game , he has been playing averige. And Hakan Suker needs to get the ball in the back of the damn net , if so Turkey will move on?
Davala: he doesn't do anything good out there , but he is deadlier in the air than Suker , therefor he gets my nod on the starting spot because without him , Turkey misses a scorer! Suker is just not cutting it. Thank your Defense and midfield for taking Turkey this far , good luck , you guys are going to need it:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My Line up:

_______________Rustu________________

Fatih_____Alpay________Bulent_____Hakan(Ergun)

__________Okan__Umit__Emre______

_____Yildiray_________________Hasan___

________________Ilhan_________________

This is a line up we will not see for sure, probably most of you would not agree with also, but its my line up :). Ergun will play for Hakan if Hakan is hurt.

But I think Gunes will come out with the same line up last game except he'll put Emre B. for Ergun. I also like that line up but I don't wanna see Hakan Sukur in it. But I think Gunes has to make changes for sure, because Senegal runs like crazy and I don't think Tugay and Umit D. will be able to defend these guys because they are so quick for them. So Emre definately will play, but Okan(if ready) and Nihat should also play because we can use their speed, also Ilhan he played better than Hakan eventhough he played for only 3 minutes against Japan :) I am serious. Anyway that's just my opinion

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Turkey-Senegal
Senegal - Turkey | News Archive

Where's the party at ? Let Senegal and Turkey entertain us ! (Allsport)
06/21/2002.
Who would have envisioned a battle between Senegal and Turkey as a prospective quarterfinal clash? Yet, now that it is before us, the last thing we should do is shy away. The Afro-European clash promises to be a feast for football fans worldwide as two "underdogs" that have played a refreshing brand of the game come together to fight it out on the big stage.

But, with 153 fouls, 25 yellow cards and 3 red cards between them, the two nations are not exactly in line to be crowned joint winners of the FIFA Fair Play trophy. They are physical teams that make their presence felt on the pitch and don't care what the price is. But, it is this very fearlessness that has got them to this juncture. Put that together with some truly majestic team performances, and you have your prime candidates for a date with destiny in Yokohama a few days from now. But, not just yet…we still have a quarterfinal to attend to.

Equally interesting is the mix of talent and organization these two have provided. In a World Cup that is turning out to be slightly disappointing compared to previous editions, Senegal and Turkey have been strikingly talented. Hakan Unsal's splendid "chapeu" over Roberto Carlos epitomizes this fact, whereas Senegal's strict tactical display against France in the opening match was an early wake-up call for all those inattentive European nations.

Gone are the days when you took a look at the fixture lists and you expected a goal fiesta versus a low-profile team like Senegal or Turkey. They are now as skillful as Brazil (almost...) and organized as Germany.

LATEST TEAM NEWS:
Turkey - FIFA Rank: 22
Senol Gunes can smile again. After missing so many players through either injury or suspension during various games in the tournament, he finally has a side that is almost at 100% ahead of the Senegal clash. Okan Bürük has finally recovered fully and is available for selection and even the industrious Hakan Ünsal who missed the last game due to a thigh injury looks set to return to his favourite left-back position. However, should the latter fail a late fitness test, Abdullah could take his place. Emre is also back, having served his one match suspension which means he will combine with Yildiray, Sas and Davala to showcase a midfield stuffed with talent. Up front, the out of sorts Hakan will keep his place.

Senegal ?FIFA Rank: 42

It's been a strange week for Senegal. It started very slowly with late-night parties following their superb win iver Sweden. Players got accostumed to waking up late, but soon understood they needed to get a grip as the Turks promised them a challenge. One of coach Metsu's biggest concerns is whether skipper Aliou Ciss?will be fit to play or not. A nagging ankle injury is likely to keep the player out of this QF. Diatta could replace him in that case in defence. On the other hand, Metsu is delighted to have key players Fadiga and Diao back to bolster a midfield line in desperate need of drive and flair. Henri Camara should be rewarded with a starting place up front alongside El Hadji Diouf, who will be hoping to make another glittering performance in this World Cup.

PROBABLE LINEUPS
Turkey (4-5-1): Rüst?Reæber; Fatih Akyel, Bulent Körkmaz, Alpay Özalan, Hakan Ünsal; Ümit Davala, Yildiray Bastürk, Tügay Kerimoglu, Emre Belözoglu, Hasan Sas; Hakan Sükür

Senegal (4-4-2): Sylva, Coly, Malick Diop, Diatta, Daf; Ciss? Diao, Bouba Diop, Fadiga; Diouf, H Camara

FORM GUIDE
Turkey, last ten matches: WLDWWLLDWW
Turkey played a superb opener against Brazil, taking the lead only to see a wrong penalty-call deny them a draw. However, what they did succeed in doing is give Brazil a good scare. Then they met a Costa Rica side that was on a high after first topping CONCACAF qualification and fresh from beating China, and despite playing an outstanding game could only tie 1-1. However, this proved to be enough for the Turks, who turned on the style against China, crushing them 3-0 to advance to the second stage. Even without suspended players due to their poor disciplinary record, Turkey played a game very different from that Italy played against Korea. Unlike Italy, Turkey were unfazed by their hosts and calmly controlled the game for large portions and never looked back once Ümit Davala had put them in front early in the game.

Senegal, last ten matches: WWDWLWWDDW
A series of strong displays put Senegal on the football world map long before the World Cup kicked off. Bruno Metsu's men had a sensational African Nations Cup but were denied a splendid win by experienced Cameroon. They patiently built on that great run in a continental tournament to set the stage for a good WC bid. And it worked: Senegal played a very disciplined game against defending champions France to cause the first upset in this WC right from day one. Two draw against Denmark and Uruguay propelled the Teranga Lions to the next round. Praised by the entire world for their vigorous style, Senegal went on to beat Sweden thanks to a Henri Camara double. They came back from the dead as Anders Svensson's shot could have shoved them out of the World Cup. But the post was a Senegalese totem, so the ball spinned out...

WHO'S HOT
Turkey: Rüst?Reæber
Hasan and Ümit may have outdone themselves and scored the goals for their team in this World Cup, but for me the hero of the team has been Rüst? As if to make a statement, he set the field on fire against Brazil in his country's opener. In fact, if Turkey had any chance at all of earning a point from that game, it was because of this man who time and again made crucial saves to deny the otherwise prolific Brazilians. And, his tournament has continued in the same path, then the Taranga Lions may need something truly spectacular to beat him.

Senegal: El Hadji Diouf
His ups-and-downs are a bit puzzling but his overall performance has been top-class if you think who Senegal actually are and what they achieved. Deprived of Fadiga and Diao - the team's other two technical engines - the Lions needed Diouf's griffe to trouble the solid Swedes and their tight defence. Henri Camara provided the goals but El Hadji Diouf could not be overlooked for his wonderful job up front.

WHO'S NOT
Turkey: Hakan Sükür
Turkey's golden boy and the highest scorer in the history of Turkish football, Sükür has failed to shine at the World Cup thus far. He has put in some really commendable performances, toiling away alone up front and helping out his midfield in whatever way he can, but he has yet to do what he is best known for: put the ball away. For Turkey to keep going in this tournament, they are going to need him to start scoring and also keep the opposing defence on their toes, so that they do not have time to join in the attack.

Senegal: Tony Sylva
It's not nice for us to cut a player behind his back after all the praise we poured on his shoulders. Sylva is undoubtedly up there among the "goalies of the tournament", but his shaky start in Senegal-Sweden could have proved extremely costly. Henrik Larsson's goal was scored mainly because of a Sylva mistake. He does not want to make one again versus Turkey who are able to hang on to a 1-goal lead, as they showed against hosts Japan earlier this week.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS
The two nations have never met on any level of international football.

soccerage ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts