21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Which one of you shall I eat?

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
( keep this reply, suitable for family viewing)

:D

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Whichever one is to be eaten, good strong legs! :D

Bosch's GARDEN OF EARTHLY DELIGHTS was completed when Europe was in the grip of the Hundred Years War. There were outbreaks of the black plague, strange weather, famine, and a breakdown of the Church’s authority.

I'd like to take a detour from Bosch's Hell to offer this image of a Sumerian fisherman for Talya :)

Fisherman; detail, Standard of Ur,
an inlaid work found crushed in a royal tomb at Ur. Ca. 2600 B.C.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
I like his eye. Like ancient Egyptian artists, the eye is always full on, whether or not the head is turned.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Perfectly suiting my current theme Bonita as I'm reading about cuniform at the moment! :)

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Talya, perhaps you can tell us more about Sumerian symbols?

In the interim, here's a photograph by the Cuban-American Luis Gispert (born 1972) that caused much uproar in the Catholic communities when it was selected by the Whitney Museum for their 2002 Biennial. Do we see three over-excited cheerleaders? Or the Annunciation in reverse?

Luis Gispert, Untitled, 2002, Cibachrome

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
A medieval icon of the Archangel Gabriel Batistuta
Nope, Bati is the reencarnation of Durero...watch the portrait, no silly Jessu alike intention, he wanted to be bati...

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Erm... Bonita I would love to - but unfortunately my reading on the cracking of cuniform hasn't covered anything on Sumerian symbols (and I know nothing). But Layard is just excavating the old Babylonian cities and finding human headed Lions and Bulls for the first time and sending them off to the British Museum where I have seen them!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Che said:

not sure if this is the one you were speaking about
am i wrong or this is taken in metallica's until it sleeps video? :confused:

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Welcome to XT, Plooky :)

Plooky said:
am i wrong or this is taken in metallica's until it sleeps video? :confused:
It's the other way around :) Metallica's music video was inspired by Hyeronimus Bosch's painting "The Garden Of Earthly Delights." What you saw in the image is a detail of the artwork and a depiction of "Hell."

Hieronymus Bosch (1450-1516) was a Dutch painter who had a passion for the macabre. He was a favorite of Philip II of Spain, and was a great influence on Pieter Brueghel, the Elder. He was also hailed in the 20th century as a forerunner of Surrealism as well as the 1960's counterculture.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bonita said:

ok thanks bonita!
btw,the fish like that is passing behind the bird in the video,i assume is the same idea

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Plooky, the fish is a Christian symbol for Christ but in the case of the above image [a 14th Century panel of stained glass in a church at Shibden Hall, near Halifax], it specifically depicts "the Devil trotting off to hell with a soul [soul the human property or sole the fish? ;) ] under his arm."

I'm not a Christian but the picture is a brainteaser nonetheless.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts