Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From cave paintings to Medieval iconography to Summarian statues to the Ming Dynasty's Literati Art to Mayan ruins to Redon's noir images and Ernst's collages to Cultural Revolution posters to Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Rachel Whiteread to digital transmitted J-peg's from Mosul and Maldive,
what do we see?

This thread is dedicated to a dear bird, Humbird.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The Devil, trotting off to hell with a soul [sole] under his arm.
Glass, Church at Shibden Hall, near Halifax, c. 1300's.

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts
That's the Devil?

I just saw that guy this morning. He looked like he'd had a very interesting New Year's eve!

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts

El Greco's Assumption of the Virgin, located in the gallery at the top of the marble stairs in the Art Institute of Chicago. I attended a lecture about the painting last August, I wish I had taken notes. The virgin is flying away on a half-moon, the lecturer said nobody really knows what the symbol of the half moon represents. El Greco himself is portrayed as one of the apostles at the right lower corner of the painting.

From the AIC website: The Assumption of the Virgin (1577) is one of seven paintings El Greco did for a monumental altarpiece, his first commissioned work in Toledo, Spain. The large, crowded canvas seems barely to contain the energy of the gesturing apostles and angels and the majestic figure of the Virgin ascending to heaven on a crescent moon. The composition is divided into earthly and heavenly zones that are connected by a complex network of gestures and poses and a palette of silvery, almost supernatural colors. The first work by El Greco to enter an American museum, the Assumptionis considered the artist's greatest work outside Spain.

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts
Bonita, your little devil bird reminds me of Hieronymus Bosch.

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts

A medieval icon of the Archangel Gabriel Batistuta

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Bonita said:

The Devil, trotting off to hell with a soul [sole] under his arm.
Glass, Church at Shibden Hall, near Halifax, c. 1300's.

reminds me of a Hieronymus Bosch figure

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts
Yes it does. There's a specific figure I'm thinking about. I'm not sure which painting it's in. Maybe the Last Judgment. It's a little beaky bird wearing a tin hat.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Humbird said:
Yes it does. There's a specific figure I'm thinking about. I'm not sure which painting it's in. Maybe the Last Judgment. It's a little beaky bird wearing a tin hat.

not sure if this is the one you were speaking about

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those Flemish loved to borrow from the Medievalists, no?

Our beloved creature also appeared in Pieter Bruegel's DESIDIA. He's at lower right with a large knife tucked into his hat. :)

The Seven Deadly Sins, or The Vices: Desidia (Sloth), 1557, Pieter Bruegel the Elder (Netherlandish, 1525/30–1569);
Pen and gray-brown ink; contours indented for transfer; 8 3/8 x 11 5/8 in.; Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Che said:

not sure if this is the one you were speaking about
speaking of symbolism, what is with the bird with the kettle pot on his head? :eekani:

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts
I've read in the past some theories that these figures may have been inspired by the hallucinations of a migraine headache sufferer, although nobody knows if Bosch was afflicted.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Che said:
speaking of symbolism, what is with the bird with the kettle pot on his head? :eekani:
It's a cauldron (from the looks of things) - maybe the birdy is a witch's familiar! :)

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Natalya said:
It's a cauldron (from the looks of things) - maybe the birdy is a witch's familiar! :)

maybe so, but you think that it would be a black cat depiction of a "familiar"

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Maybe the artist wanted to be more original. After all the nice birdy is also eating someone! And has vases on it's feet! :pp

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
This might interest Talya, in the upper left hand corner there is a person holding a flag, can you tell me if that is the muslim cresant moon??

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
It could be - it certainly looks like it and there is a little spot next to it that could be a star (can't see it well enough) and everyone knows that we're a bunch of evil heretics destined for hell ;)

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Natalya said:
It could be - it certainly looks like it and there is a little spot next to it that could be a star (can't see it well enough) and everyone knows that we're a bunch of evil heretics destined for hell ;)
:D see you should have listen to your grandfather ;)

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts
Natalya said:
You could try wearing a pot on your head.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts