Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sylvain Wiltord has met again with the Arsenal board, with Arsene Wenger taking a step closer to landing his top striking target. Bordeaux are reluctant to allow Wiltord to move on cheaply, partly because Deportivo La Coruna will be paid a substantial slice of the fee, but a bid in excess of £10m could take the forward to Highbury.
 

·
The Dude
Joined
·
4,448 Posts
We really need another striker so bring him in!
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ironically, Arsenal could face a battle with Barcelona if they choose to make an increased bid for Sylvain Wiltord, who is eager to join the French legion at Highbury.
They and Inter Milan are both prepared to pay the £15m
Bordeaux which they are demanding for him.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the record...

Please bare in mind that this article is written by the retarded gimp, steve stamm-stamm-stamm-ers.

From soccernet

-------------------------------------------------------


Wiltord expected to sign for £10.5million
By Steve Stammers

Arsenal look certain to complete the transfer of Sylvain Wiltord this week.

Manager Arsene Wenger wants to bolster his forward line before the start of the
season but the stumbling block has been Bordeaux's valuation of Wiltord, who
rescued France during Euro 2000 with the last-minute equaliser against Italy in
the final.

Bordeaux want £15 million for the forward while Wenger's initial bid was £8m. But
talks have continued and the belief at High-bury is that the French club will accept
an offer of £10.5m.

The money is not a problem for Arsenal who banked £28m from the sale of Marc
Overmars and Emmanuel Petit to Barcelona last week.

Indeed, they may yet return to the Nou Camp to find a midfield partner for Patrick
Vieira following the breakup of his highly-successful partnership with Petit.

Dutchman Philip Cocu has said he would come to the Premiership and join his
compatriot Dennis Bergkamp at Highbury. No deal has been struck but Arsenal
are hoping that with one year left on Cocu's contract, Barcelona could be tempted
to cash in on the 29-year-old who will be able to leave on a free transfer next
summer under the Bosman ruling.

Meanwhile Arsenal midfielder Ray Parlour today dismissed any fears that he will
miss the kick-off to the Premiership season at Sunderland on 19 August.

Parlour played no part in the Amsterdam tournament last week, when Arsenal lost
to Barcelona and Ajax, and that raised doubts that he would be fit for the first
league game.

But Parlour, who was unavailable for selection for Euro 2000 because of injury,
said: 'There is no chance I won't be fit to play at Sunder-land. I hurt my shin in a
friendly match against Barnet and I was left out of the tournament in Holland as a
precaution. We didn't want to aggravate it.'

Arsenal may decide to give Parlour a run-out in the friendly match against
Dunfermline in Scotland on Wednesday night.

-------------------------------------------------------

Good news? Possibly.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contrary to earlier reports....

From football365 who plagerise their articles from PA among others.

--------------------------------------------------------

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is facing the prospect of
going into the new season with Thierry Henry as his only
out-and-out striker.
The Gunners boss has revealed that his bid to sign Sylvain
Wiltord from Bordeaux is still deadlocked over the player's
transfer valuation.
Bordeaux are holding out for the full £13million for the
26-year-old Frenchman, whose 90th-minute equaliser
rescued his country in the Euro 2000 final against Italy and
paved the way to their extra-time golden goal triumph.
Wenger, who originally offered £8million and is believed to
have improved it to around £10.5million, was hopeful of a
positive reply today but admitted: "He wants to come to
Arsenal but there is still financial agreement between the
clubs and I am not confident it will happen.
"We have made a good offer, one that we think is right,
but it is difficult to say any more what players are worth. It
is a difficult situation for everybody."
Bordeaux have to abide by an agreement with Deportivo
La Coruna, Wiltord's previous club, to hand over around
40% of any fee they receive for him before the end of this
year.
That is why they have put such a high price on his head,
but Wenger refuses to be held to ransom - despite
Arsenal's near-£30million influx from the sale of Marc
Overmars and Emmanuel Petit to Barcelona.
Before that double deal he had already signed Cameroon
star Lauren and French winger Robert Pires for a combined
£13million, but recognises that could be the end of his
spending this summer.
The Highbury chief has also pledged he will not be
tempted to sign big-name stars who he believes are
over-the-hill and coming to the Premiership on their past
reputations.
Veteran Croatia striker Alen Boksic has joined
Middlesbrough on a reported £63,000-a-week wage, David
Ginola, 33, has made a £3million switch from Tottenham
to Aston Villa and George Weah, the 34-year-old former
world footballer of the year who admits he owed much of
his success to Wenger's influence at Monaco, has joined
Manchester City after being released by both AC Milan and
Chelsea.
But Wenger, who bought Boksic's Croatia team-mate
Davor Suker, 32, for £1million from Real Madrid a year
ago but released him on a free transfer to West Ham at
the end of last season, said: "I am not going to compare
names but I don't want to become a victim of the star
system.
"If you buy a big name then at first it is easy to make
everybody happy but on the field you can have a problem.
"We have lost two world-class players in Overmars and
Petit but we have bought Lauren and Pires, who have great
qualities too.
When Petit arrived here three years ago nobody knew him
but he did a great job for us. And Overmars was on the
market for five months, with nobody ready to buy him,
before we signed him.
"Rather than just buy a name I would prefer to sign a
player not so well known but who I am sure will give me
performances.
"I have some young players like Ashley Cole and Jermaine
Pennant at Highbury already who have done very well in
pre-season and I will give them a chance.
"If I can get one or two more I am sure we will win a lot of
games next season in both the Premiership and the
Champions League. I am not pessimistic at all about our
chances in the new season. I am very optimistic."
Wenger has confirmed Arsenal have options to buy Skonto
Riga's Latvian international pair, winger Andrijs Rubins, 22,
and centre-back Igors Stepanovs, 24, as well as Lithuanian
striker Tomas Danilevicius, who scored for the Gunners
against Barcelona in Amsterdam last week while on trial.
He could snap up all three for under £5million and
believes gaining British work permits for the Latvian pair
would be little more than a formality as they are well
established in their national side, although Danilevicius
has only just broken into the senior Lithuania squad and
his required documentation might take longer to obtain.
Wenger, though, admits he is facing a major headache
over the absence of quality cover for Henry, who grabbed
26 goals for Arsenal in his first season last term but now
also recognises that the pressure of expectation will be on
him.
Henry said: "It was a special season for me even though
Arsenal did not win anything. It got to the point when
sometimes I just hit the ball and knew it would go into the
goal.
"You can have seasons like that when everything goes
right, but I know it is going to be difficult to repeat it."

--------------------------------------------------------

This whole affair is mired in confusion, I guess it's just a case of waiting and seeing.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top