Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Australian Soccer wants the 5th placed South American side to play its game in Sydney.

After two huge crowds at the MCG against Iran and Uraguay - Melbourne must be thinking that it deserves to keep the big game. :dazed:

·
*the drum drum*
42,906 Posts
Melbourne deserves to keep it, but Sydney deserves to have a chance at it as well!

The first real stadium experience I had was at the old SFS (now Aussie stadium, I think) when Australia played Canada in the return leg of some qualifier.. Awesome crowd, and I just so happened to be sitting in the middle of stand behind the goal, so I was in the middle of all the fanatics.. :D

If the qualifier is definitely going to be here, I'd go to watch it (provided it's not a situation where it's the return leg and the first leg was lost 6-0 over there :D)..

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
The MCG will not be able to be used bc theyll be preparing it for the commonwealth games, ie track and all that garbage, a real pity bc by the time the qual comes round the redevelopment of the new stand will be complete and the capacity will be abt 104k or something like that....still a small chance the game will be played at telstra dome, but its looking increasingly likely it'll be in sydney, even itf its not official yet.. wherever it is il be going..

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
I really hope it's in Sydney as it would be easier for me but i'd even go to Melbourne to watch it if it's good opposition.

The match against Uruguay at the MCG will stay with me for a very very long time

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An old timer like me has seen the final qualifing games from 1973 to the present.
I think in 1977 we were easily beaten in the early rounds and therefore no final crunch game involving the Aussies.

If its in Sydney for 2005, our old Soccer team and kids will be going and I just cannot grasp the idea of failure - epecially if its the second leg of the tie.

:wallbang: :wallbang:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
7159 said:
An old timer like me has seen the final qualifing games from 1973 to the present.
I think in 1977 we were easily beaten in the early rounds and therefore no final crunch game involving the Aussies.

If its in Sydney for 2005, our old Soccer team and kids will be going and I just cannot grasp the idea of failure - epecially if its the second leg of the tie.

:wallbang: :wallbang:

Mate don't say that! Not after what happenned on 29.11.97!! :moan:

In both 1977 and 1981 we were out of the running well before the final stages. :eek:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I don't like the Melbourne stadiums, because of that sport AFL u sit like 2kms away from the game.
..somehow I think the same can be said for Homebush. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Drei said:
I don't like the Melbourne stadiums, because of that sport AFL u sit like 2kms away from the game.
... it's no different for half the stadiums around the world. :eek: Maracana? Morumbi? Wembley? Olimpico? Delle Alpi? Olympiastadion? Ataturk?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Evil 37 said:
..somehow I think the same can be said for Homebush. :rolleyes:
nah..i've been down to melb too on the stadiums there like the MCG and i can tell u its alot closer to the action at Homebush, also because they have the two side stands at homebush that they can move if its an AFL match or a Cricket game. Even the Rugby world cup matches that were played down in Melb all where far from the action...i dunno i don't think the atmosphere is as good like that!

·
*the drum drum*
42,906 Posts
I've been to Telstra Stadium (Homebush) before it had it's capacity taken down to ~90,000 (from 110,000), and back then unless you got a seat on the second tier it was absolutely crappy..

I sat in almost all sections of the stadium at one stage or another. On the first tier, which is supposed to be closest to the action, it was like watching a match from ground level and standing 50 metres away..
From the second tier, no matter where you where, it was an awesome view and you could see absolutely everything..

I'm not sure about sitting behind the goals though, because that's the only place I didn't get to witness first hand..

The old Sydney Football Stadium (now known as Aussie Stadium) is the best stadium. It's purpose built for football/rugby, and no matter where you sit you feel close to the action..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts