Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WRIGHT-PHILLIPS MOVES TO MAN CITY
Posted on: Thu 28 Aug 2008
Chelsea Football Club and Manchester City have agreed terms for the transfer of Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Everyone at Chelsea would like to thank Shaun for his contribution to the success of the club in the last three seasons and wish him all the best in his future career.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~1377646,00.html

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Hart
Ćorluka - Richards - Dunne - Ball
SWP - Kompany - Johnson - Petrov
Elano
Jô​

Ireland, Benjani, Ben Hiam, Fernandes, Onuoha, Garrido some solid backup.

Great stuff, coming along very nicely :thumbsup: So much for being broke ffs!

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I didn't want to jinx this by creating a thread, but it looks like everything is set. When everyone is fit he'll be the final piece of the puzzle, we're strong everywhere, and yes I include strikers in that.

Blaz has pretty much summed up what we should play. Petrov and SWP on form on both sides of the pitch will be exciting.

·
Administrator
52,981 Posts
If you had a quality left back, it would be a very good first eleven. Top notch signing, instant upgrade to one of your weak spots.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Yeah left-back is the weak spot, but Ball is still a decent player.

More news:

Manchester City have confirmed that they have re-signed Shaun Wright-Phillips from Chelsea. The winger completed a medical this morning after agreeing personal terms with the club that he first joined in 1996, aged 15.

"Obviously I'm delighted to come back to City and I just can't wait to get started again," said Wright-Phillips after putting pen to paper on a four-year deal. The transfer fee is undisclosed but believed to be in the region of £9m, a fraction of the £21m that Chelsea paid to City three years ago.

"I've always admired him and he's certainly been a target of mine since I came to the football club," said the City manager Mark Hughes. "To actually secure the deal and bring Shaun back home is a fantastic coup for us and I'm sure the supporters will be just as excited as we are to have him back at Manchester City."

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
You're paying him 10 or 20k pounds more then what he earned in chelsea.. thats like ALOT..

·
Registered
103 Posts
and possibly....

playin the best football of his career.

At the moment he and Ireland are our most influential and important players.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I think you should add Kompany to that list, he is such a great Anchor. We no longer need two DMs like last season as he can get around the pitch more than Hamann.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I like the fact that he has a habit of winning all of those long keeper's clearances too. And it should give us an extra advantage defending corners effectively having an extra centre half in the box. But based on the evidence so far this season, that doesn't seem to be the case. Really need to do some set piece work imo.

SWP, Ireland, Elano and Robinho pull the strings for us undoubtedly. Even when Robinho doesn't appear to be doing anything, the amount of players he draws towards him creates so much space for everyone else. Jo still seems to be settling in, but he's at least doing a good job being an aerial threat and a bit of a nuisance. Zabaleta had a shaky first couple of games, but I've been impressed with him since then. I'll be interested to see whether we go to 4-4-2 now Petrov's fit, with one of Ireland and Elano dropping to the bench, and Robinho and Jo forming a more traditional strike partnership. I doubt it actually, because we're playing well, but it's at least another option.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I think we should stay as we are personally. It's working at home. Away from home we may need a rethink. I think Elano should be dropped for Gelson or Johnson when fit away from home to give us more bite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts