îles Féroé - Israël

Saturday 8 october 2005
Chypre - Eire
Suisse - France
Israël - îles Féroé

Wednesday 12 october 2005
Eire - Suisse
France - Chypre

(Yeah, i know, the names of the teams are in French, but i am too lazy to types all in English, so i cut it and paste here :yawn: )

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The squad against France and Cyprus :

Goalkeepers: Fabio Coltorti (Thoune), Sébastien Roth (Lorient/FRA), Pascal Zuberbuehler (FC Bâle)

Defenders: Philipp Degen (FC Bâle), Stéphane Grichting (Auxerre/FRA), Stéphane Henchoz (Celtic/ECO), Ludovic Magnin (Werder Brême/ALL), Patrick Mueller (FC Bâle), Philippe Senderos (Arsenal/ANG), Christoph Spycher (Grasshoppers)

Mildfielders : Ricardo Cabanas (Grasshoppers), Benjamin Huggel (Bâle), Johann Lonfat (Sochaux/FRA), Johann Vogel (PSV Eindhoven/PBS), Raphaël Wicky (SV Hambourg/ALL), Hakan Yakin (Galatasaray/TUR), Reto Ziegler (Tottenham/ANG)

Strikers: Alexander Frei (Rennes/FRA), Daniel Gygax (Zurich), André Muff (Grasshoppers), Johan Vonlanthen (Brescia/ITA), Alexandre Rey (Neuchâtel Xamax)

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • How do rate your chances of qualification? If i am not mistaken, you have still a game in hand ?
  • What could be your starting line-up against France ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm rather pessimistic considering the chances of a qualification because I think we would've needed more than just 2 points from the games against Ireland and Israel.

Probable lineup:

Zuberbühler
Ph. Degen - P. Müller - P. Senderos - Spycher
Vogel
Gygax - Wicky - Ziegler
Cabanas
A. Frei

Or something like this - I don't follow our NT that closely. ;)

So actually only one striker as there are not many around - some are not playing (Vonlanthen from PSV, on loan in Brescia), just came from a long injury (Streller from Stuttgart - he understandably did not want to participate at all), have problems with our coach (N'Kufo from Twente Enschede) or are just rather bad (Muff from GC). But maybe guys like Yakin (at least against Cyprus, has banned against France) and Vonlanthan might be starting nevertheless.

France is still a top team so Switzerland would really deliver an almost perfect performance to get a result. Cyprus on the other hand should be feasible.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You should get a result out of cyprus, and I bet you can at least get 1 point from france, if not upset them with 3 points..

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, maybe, France has nothing special IMO, despite the two last friendly who were much better. But i would not mind to see a goal from Alexander Frei

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
beerschot_fan said:
You should get a result out of cyprus, and I bet you can at least get 1 point from france, if not upset them with 3 points..
No chance! Bad coach, no courage, no quality. Alex Frei would be the only one to get a shot on goal and probably hit the net - but who the hell should deliver the right pass...? :rolleyes:

Defeat against France and a draw against lowly Cyprus is my wish and then our FA should get rid of this coach!!! :fero:

Cheers
East Ender

Btw are you in Interlaken already?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
what did I tell you!!! I knew you could get at least a point out of France...good job.

I am curious as what the lineup was as well

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
East Ender said:
No chance! Bad coach, no courage, no quality. Alex Frei would be the only one to get a shot on goal and probably hit the net - but who the hell should deliver the right pass...? :rolleyes:

Defeat against France and a draw against lowly Cyprus is my wish and then our FA should get rid of this coach!!! :fero:

Cheers
East Ender

Btw are you in Interlaken already?

Sorry didnt see your question...My plans changed, and I will be in Interlaken in May, so at least the weather will be better. I should be there for just a little bit, for work. (hopefully I can catch at least one game) From there, I will try to look in Belgium for new oppurtunities, and hopefully quit this current job and move back to Europe.

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
France - Swiss : 0 - 0

Spectateurs : 79.373 (Attendance record)

France : Barthez - Sagnol, Boumsong, Givet, Gallas - Giuly, Vieira (cap), Pedretti, Dhorasoo (Meriem, 59 e ) - Trezeguet, Wiltord (Govou, 82 e ) .

Suisse : Zuberbuehler - Degen, Senderos, Mueller, Spycher - Gygax (Henchoz, 90 e +2), Lonfat (Huggel, 28 e ), Cabanas, Vogel (cap), Ziegler (Magnin, 69 e ) - Frei .

·
Registered
381 Posts
Even without considering Senderos' young age he was good - especially in the air.

Zuberbühler is seen as match "winner" although he showed his usual "frightening" behaviour on high balls. On the other hand he really had some big saves.

Overall, the Swiss squad also had some chances to score but in the end a French victory would probably have been the correct result as they had more chances and Switzerland just made quite an amount of small to medium mistakes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
East Ender said:
Bad coach, no courage, no quality.
Perfect rating of this absolutely pathetic performance against Cyprus. Let's call Mr. Ender a prophet (well, it is unfortunately not THAT surprising they'd be THAT stupid...).

Lucky guys they are...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
beerschot_fan said:
:thmbup: Good thing you got the point in the 88' Or my prediction would be bad...
FT Switzerland [1 - 0] Cyprus
88' [1 - 0] A. Frei

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Redblue Power said:
Lucky guys they are...
Having won like real Krauts - disgusting! :wallbang:

And the 16'000 so-called-fans just an annoying bunch of stupids - let the team out to dry, whistling or keeping their bloody mouths shut when the team needs support!!! I do really hate our national team games....

Get rid of that bloody amateur coach!!! Applying a 5-4-1-system at home against Cyprus: he should be killed!!!

Cheers
East Ender

·
Registered
381 Posts
East Ender said:
And the 16'000 so-called-fans just an annoying bunch of stupids - let the team out to dry, whistling or keeping their bloody mouths shut when the team needs support!!! I do really hate our national team games....
Really a total shame but I expected it to be worse considering certain non-Zürich players. No Vlado, I won't mention the Canada game again. :shades: ;)

Most people probably bought their tickets because they thought (maybe they read it somewhere...) the performance in Paris was great (which was not really the case IMHO) - and now they wanted to see what they paid for. A consumer attitude we already now very well here in Basel... That's the only explanation I have for people going there and then almost wanting to see their team not getting a result (typically Swiss, with a bit of jealousy...) - MY feelings are sometimes alike, especially with this coach, but then why bother that much and show up at the game?

East Ender said:
Get rid of that bloody amateur coach!!! Applying a 5-4-1-system at home against Cyprus: he should be killed!!!
I know you meant 4-5-1 but the message stays the same. He obviously did not have the balls to change the formation (and especially the players), but that's just stupid, how can one be that inflexible considering tactics when you have such a different opponent? At least he rather rapidly recognized his fault and brought Vonlanthen (well okay, for the wrong guy...) even before the break - Gross would have probably waited till qualification for WC 2010 to do so... :scared:

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Code:
[U][B]Group 4[/B][/U]

[B] 1.France        6  2  4  0  5- 1 10
 2.Israel        6  2  4  0  8- 6 10
 [COLOR=Red][B]3.Switzerland   5  2  3  0 10- 3  9[/B][/COLOR]
 4.Ireland       5  2  3  0  7- 2  9
 5.Cyprus        6  0  1  5  4-12  1
 6.Faroe Islands 4  0  1  3  2-12  1[/B]
4- 6-05 Faroe Islands - Switzerland
4- 6-05 Ireland - Israel

Well this is in almost two weeks, Faroe Islands should be a formality.You can take the lead of this group cause the three teams above are always get draw when playing against each other. :D

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fobal klub said:
Well this is in almost two weeks, Faroe Islands should be a formality.You can take the lead of this group cause the three teams above are always get draw when playing against each other. :D

:eyepatch:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts