1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uefa Intertoto Cup: FC Zürich & FC St. Gallen

The new season starts early for FCZ and FCSG:

UIC - First Round

FC Zürich - NK BROTNJO CITLUK (Bosnia-H.)
-Home(June 22) Away(June 29)

FC St. Gallen - B68 Toftir (Färöer Islands)
-Home(June 22) Away(June 29)

Basel did really well last season and almost qualified for the Uefa Cup (Lost in one of the three finals to Aston Villa.) Maybe these two can do well also...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Swiss teams in Europe-2002/2003

Well even though the World cup is still on, things don't quieten down in Europe with the draws for all major competitions underway

The teams representing Switzerland in europe are
* FC Basel (CL)
* Grasshopper (UC)
* Lugano (UC) - seems like they are still allowed to play, unlike Tirol
* Servette (UC)
* FC Zurch (UIntC)
* St Gallen (UIntC)

And these are the teams they have drawn

Champions league - 2nd qualifying round

* FC Basel - Zilina(SVK): Don't know much about this team from Slovakia. The champions from the last few seasons has been either Inter Bratislava or FC Kosice (who actually qualified one season for the CL but didn't win any games). Basel should win this tie though and if they are on the job, then quite comfortably :hopefull:

UEFA Cup - Qualifying round

* Lugano - FK Ventspils (LAT): Another team i'm not too familiar with. I'm pretty sure that Skonto and Metalurgs are the big two in Latvia and by quite a distance. Ventspils went out to HJL Helsinki 3-0 on agg. How Lugano do depends on what sort of a team they get together after having lost their license

* Servette - FC Spartak Yerevan (ARM): Another very unfamiliar team but going on last years european effort Servette should be way too strong for the Armenian side, even if travelling to eastern europe is not the most ideal of destinations

UEFA Intertoto cup- First round

n.b I know SwissCGZ already made a topic about this so i am unsure about where to post my thoughts on this topic, although as the CL and UEFA cup gets closer, seperate threads for those will be made anyway

* FC Zurich - NK Brotnjo (BHZ): FC Zurich should theoretically be too strong although the Bosnian side pushed Viking Stavanger of Norway (one of their biggest teams) all the way in the qualifying round of the UEFA cup last season losing 2-1 on aggregate. A lot will depend of the attitude of the Zurich team

* St Gallen - B68 Toftir (FAR): The Faroe Islands is one of the smallest places in europe and St Gallen shoud win both legs if they are serious and score quite a few goals in the process, although Lokeren had a 0-0 against the same team last year and Graz AK also drew with a Faroese side in the UEFA cup last season so its not a foregone conclusion...........but almost :D

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Excellent results for the Intertoto cup entrants

FC Zurich and St Gallen both won their home games easily :cool:

St.Gallen won 5-1 which was not so unexpected against the team from the Faeroe Islands but although i expected Zurich to also win their home leg, i didn't expect a 7-0 drubbing of the Bosnian team :eekani:: :proud:

Despite the questionable quality of the opposition it looks as though both of these teams are ready for the new season :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi

Andreas I have read your post about Swiss footbal at the WC forum so I decided to take a look.Although I have been kind of connected to Switzerland lately, I must say that I don't follow very closely their football. My soft spots go to Grasshoppers and Servette though.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Fair enough :)

So i assume that you live in Switzerland but are Portuguese (from what i've read of your posts) and that is where your football support lies, yes?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
1st round, 2nd leg: results

* NK Brotnjo - FC Zurich: 2-1 (2-8 on agg) - Obviously the Zurich club took things easily after winning thr 1st leg 7-0 :D. They took the lead in this game too but let things slip

* Toftir - St Gallen: 0-6 :eek: (1-11 agg :eekani: :cool: ). Well this tie was a romp for the Espenmoos team and after winning the first leg 5-1 you would have thought they might have backed off a little but they went to the Faroes and did even better scoring 6 without reply with Romanian striker Ionel Gane getting 4. Even though the Faroe islands are a minnow football nation, they are in midseason while the Swiss league has not started so this makes these achievements by St Gallen quite impressive :proud: :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Results:

St. Gallen - Toftir 5-1
Toftir - St. Gallen 0-6

FC Zürich - Brotnjo Citluk 7-0
Brotnjo Citluk - FC Zürich 2-1

Both Swiss teams are therefore through to second round. St. Gallen will play against Willem II Tilburg (Netherlands) and Zürich against Levadia Maardu (Estonia)

I was at the 1st leg match in St. Gallen, but apart from the heat (above 30 °C in the shade, but what's that when you're standing in the sun ???) and the obvious inferiority of the opponent, the only thing worth to mention is that Alex Tachie-Mensah scored a hattrick.

I will travel to Tilburg next Saturday and share my impressions with you right here...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
:cool:

So how many people bothered turning up to the game? :D

I know the opponent was very inferior but although i expected a goalfest for St Gallen at home, i thought they might have eased off in the away leg and given the Faroese side a chance to get a result but it seems they went full throttle in both legs :cool: (and if they didn't then they are in superb touch leading into the new season)

I already made a thread for all the swiss teams in europe so if you don't mind then i'll merge this thread with the other one so people know where to reply to :)

I look forward to hearing you thoughts next week in what will definetely be a closer tie against Willem II who are quite a decent Dutch outfit (made the CL a few seasons ago)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ooops...sorry I should have seen the other thread.

BTW: Attendance at the Espenmoos was 5'700, which is quite impressive....

Att. in Toftir was 150, 6 from St. Gallen....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vlado said:
I will travel to Tilburg next Saturday and share my impressions with you right here...
Now that's what I call a fan....looking forward to your report.
Vlado said:
BTW: Attendance at the Espenmoos was 5'700
Was entry to the stadium for free? If not that is a very impressive number against such an opponent...
Attendance for the Zürich game was 1100 by the way. If I would've been in town, I would have gone to that match also.

UD Leira (POR) has appealed against UEFA’s decision to award a 3-0 forfeit victory to Estonian opponents FC Levadia Maardu in a UEFA Intertoto Cup first round first-leg match on 22 June. Looks like the FCZ opponent is not yet definite. Decision is Wednesday:http://www.uefa.com/competitions/IntertotoCup/News/Kind=1/newsId=27548.html

Should FCSG and FCZ beat Willem II and Maardu, these are the teams they will face in the third round:

FCZ: Aston Villa (ENG)

FCSG: FC Krylya Sovetov Samara (RUS) or FC Dinaburg (LAT)

As you can see an advancement to the third round would be lucrative for both teams. Zürich gets an attractive opponent and St. Gallen gets a good chance to progress to the 4th round.

·
Registered
121 Posts
They gave away free tickets to school classes or something like that, but I don't know how many...

But there were definitely more than 1'100 paying spectators...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like Leira's appeal has failed...

UIC - Second Round

FC Zürich - Levadia Maardu (EST)
-Home(July 6) Away(July 13)

FC St. Gallen - Willem II (NED)
-Away(July 6) Home(July 13)

·
Registered
121 Posts
SwissGCZ said:

That's not what I meant, the 1100 was the attendance for the FCZ - NK Brotnjo game...

I got you right from the start, what I meant was that we would have had more than 1'100 spectators even without free tickets ...

BTW: The season opened with the game FCSG - FCZ. Result...well......0 - 3.

A very poor performance by St. Gallen. If they continue to play so poorly, it will be difficult to be in the top eight this autumn.... :( :( :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Vlado said:

I got you right from the start, what I meant was that we would have had more than 1'100 spectators even without free tickets ...
Oh...ok. You're absolutely right - nobody cares about FC Zürich :D

You guys had a nice attendance yesterday (8000), especially for a weeknight. It's too bad your team didn't feel like playing...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
First of all i must reply to the following;

Vlado said:

Att. in Toftir was 150, 6 from St. Gallen....
:dielaugh:

You would think there would be more than 150 ppl in the Faroe islands excited about getting probably one if the biggest clubs sides (in relative terms since the chance of them ever meeting a Real Madrid, ManU, FC Bayern etc... is so close to 0 its not worth contemplating)

I guess they just saw the writing on the wall and didn't bother seeing a 90min painful display by their team

Also u have to give credit to the 6 St Gallen fans that went all the way to see their team play :cool:

As for the next round then Zurich definetely have it easier against the Estonian team even though the Estonian league is in mid-season and the Dutch league is yet to start although the fact the Nationalliga has begun should give St Gallen an advantage :hopefull:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Willem II Tilburg - FC St. Gallen 1 - 0

After a long night with a lot of beer and little sleep, we arrived at Tilburg around Saturday noon. We spent the afternoon drinking more beer in Tilburg's city centre, while some of us decided to play football on a city square. The Dutch obviously are a very tolerant people, because no one really seemed to care about that. In Switzerland you would be faced with angry people cursing at you and after half an hour someone surely would have called the police...

A pleasant surprise was that some Tilburg fans invited us to have a beer with them when we were walking past their pub to get to the stadium. Of course, we didn't refuse and had a nice chat over a few bottles. The problems of football clubs seem to be the same all over the world, since a lot of what they told us about Willem II was only too familiar to us.

Finally at the stadium, we had to notice that the UI-Cup doesn't seem to matter much to the Tilburg fans, because only 2000 bothered to show up. We were told that league matches usually attract more than 10000. About 70 St. Gallen supporters made the trip to the Netherlands and throughout the whole game, we were more active than the home fans. We had a lot of flags, which were waved the entire game, and at the kick-off a large amount of smoke was lit. Regarding the supporters, it was a clear "win" for us.

The match itself was a little different. St. Gallen managed to create a few good opportunities to score early, but the Tilburg keeper was clearly the best player of his side and showed a few excellent saves. Nevertheless, St. Gallen should have managed to score...
After a counter-attack, Tilburg scored in the 26th minute. It was their first attack to come close to the goal. St. Gallen continued to be the better of two modest sides, but didn't manage to equalize the Tilburg lead. Jairo hit the post with a free kick late in the 2nd half and a few other good opportunities were missed.

Surely a draw or even a win by St. Gallen would have been earned, but the result still leaves St. Gallen with a chance of passing through to the 3rd round. A two-goal win at home isn't out of reach.

I hope I didn't forget too much.....

BTW: pictures from the trip and the game will be available at www.fcsg1879.ch

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vlado said:

BTW: pictures from the trip and the game will be available at www.fcsg1879.ch
Those are some great pictures, FCSG can be proud to have such fans. I also liked the pictures from Toftir - Isn't that the stadium where the Faroe Islands played Switzerland in WC qualifying?

Good luck on Saturday, it isn't over yet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
UEFA-5-Year ranking, situation for 2003

Saw this over at BS and found it very interesting. Now that the dreadful '97 season falls out of the equation, the chances of getting back that second CL-qual. spot are very good.

That's how the nations start into the next UEFA season. These are the points of the last four season, so everything they win this year will be added:

1 Spain 60.039
2 England 47.674
3 Italy 46.383
---------------
4 Germany 41.990
5 France 35.552
6 Greece 29.616
---------------
7 Netherlands 27.332
8 Portugal 24.833
---------------
9 Turkey 24.325
10 Scotland 23.000
---------------
11 Czech Rep 21.750
12 Belgium 21.625
13 Switzerland 20.375
14 Ukraine 20.333
15 Austria 19.375
---------------
16 Israel 18.166
17 Russia 17.416
18 Norway 16.875
19 Croatia 15.875
20 Sweden 15.341
21 Poland 15.000
---------------
22 Yugoslavia 14.998
23 Bulgaria 14.499
24 Denmark 14.125

(1-3: 2/2/2 = CL/CL qualifier/UEFA)
(4-6: 2/1/2)
(7-8: 1/1/3)
(9-10: 1/1/1)
(11-15: 0/2/1)
(16-21: 0/1/2)
(22-...: 0/1/1)

Calculation:
- Two points for victory, one for draw
- Points in the qualifiers are devided by 2
- For reaching quarter finals, semifinals and final each team gains one additional point
- reaching the Champions League group stage: 1 additional point [unfortunately I don't know whether for sportive qualified only or for seeded as well]
- points for the teams of an association are added to nation points and devided by the number of starters
- in case of same no. of points, the actual season is the tie-breaker
- UI cup does not count for the calculation

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Firstly....

Great report Vlado :star: :proud: :cool:. You set the scene well and provided plently of info surrounding the game as well as on the game :happy: :). If i may i will disect parts of it so i can make some points and/or ask questions :nervous: :hopefull: :)

Vlado said:

After a long night with a lot of beer and little sleep, we arrived at Tilburg around Saturday noon. We spent the afternoon drinking more beer in Tilburg's city centre, while some of us decided to play football on a city square. The Dutch obviously are a very tolerant people, because no one really seemed to care about that.
Oh that i have no doubt about. Any country that has sex museums, legalised euthanasia and marajuana that can be purchased in coffee shops has to be tolerant :D

Vlado said:
A pleasant surprise was that some Tilburg fans invited us to have a beer with them when we were walking past their pub to get to the stadium. Of course, we didn't refuse and had a nice chat over a few bottles. The problems of football clubs seem to be the same all over the world, since a lot of what they told us about Willem II was only too familiar to us.
:cool:. Just wondering what sort of "problems" you were referring to; Hooliganism and crowd violence?, financial problems faced by teams in smaller leagues (which is nearly every league outside England, Spain, Italy and Germany) and/or something else i forgot or perhaps a combination of all these factors

Vlado said:

Finally at the stadium, we had to notice that the UI-Cup doesn't seem to matter much to the Tilburg fans, because only 2000 bothered to show up. We were told that league matches usually attract more than 10000. About 70 St. Gallen supporters made the trip to the Netherlands and throughout the whole game, we were more active than the home fans
Yes i think this is the major problem with this competition as it is out of season for many teams in central and southern europe and during mid-season for the teams from the Nordic and Baltic countries + Russia. This was highlighted quite clearly by the fact that Santa Clara of Portugal lost 5-1 to a Czech side and Helsingborg lost 4-0 against another Czech team and while the Czech republic has some good club teams and a decent football pedigree these sides that won were not among the elite of Czech football

Oh and the pictures were :cool: as well. The faroe islands looks like a very nice place although a bit dull as it doesn't look like there is much there in the way of infrastructure

SwissGCZ: thanks for the table. Yes the trend for Switzerland looks good and most importantly this ranking puts the Swiss above Austria ;) (who are presently above Switzerland in the rankings). And as much as you may not like Basel i think their progress into the CL group stages (and the 3rd qualifying round at the very least) is important for Swiss football from a variety of viewpoints

1 - 20 of 76 Posts