Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swiss players in foreign leagues: Germany

First of all, there is Bayerns number 10: Ciriaco Sforza (Grasshopper and Aarau)found his way back into the CL winners' squad.

Raphael Wicky (24 years, 34 caps, came from Sion) strengthens the HSV squad since december.

Marc Zellweger (28, St. Gallen) came to Köln during the season to strengthen their defence.

Jörg Stiel (St. Gallen) is the heir to Uwe Kamps at Borussia Mönchengladbachs goalkeeper position.

Oumar Kondé (22, Basel) is one of Freiburgs great talents in defence.

Did I forget anyone?

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Didn't think of 2nd Bundesliga players.:)

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot Ludovic Magnin, the latest signing of Werder Bremen, German's team of the moment.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Swiss Abroad Jan.26/02

Schalke - Bayern München 5:1 (2:0)
-- Ciriaco Sforza did not play a minute. But this slamming will hopefully increase his playing chances.

SC Freiburg - Nürnberg 2:0 (1:0)
-- Oumar Konde is still injured.

VfB Stuttgart - Hamburger SV 3:0 (2:0)
-- Apparently Raphael Wicky had a good debut for Hamburg. Too bad it doesn't reflect in the result.

Borussia Mönchengladbach - Kaiserslautern 0:2 (0:0)
-- Jorg Stiel was not at fault on either goal. The first one even was an owngoal. With the return of Uwe Kamps, the battle for Goalkepper #1 is getting fierce.

1860 München - 1. FC Köln 3:0 (0:0)
-- Marc Zellweger played the full 90. For Gladbach and Koln it is really getting hot relegation-wise.

Anybody know what happened in England?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I don't think there were any Swiss players involved in the FA cup overnight

But Henchoz played a full game for 'Pool in their FA cup tie against Arsenal (a 1-0 loss --- just finished). Not sure how he played or if he was involved in the Arsenal goal until i see highlights (don't have Pay TV, which covers live EPL and FA cup games)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Johann Vogel won with PSV Einhoven against Breda 3-1 and is now 2nd in the Dutch standings.

David Sesa played 92 minutes with Napoli as his side drew with Salernitana in Italy's Serie B. The Equalizer for Salernitana fell in the 93rd minute. That's bitter for Napoli.

Ludovic Magnin's debut in the Bundesliga did not go as planed. Cottbus ended Bremen's 8 game unbeaten streak. Magnin played 81 minutes

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I edited the title of this thread u made SwissGCZ, and thought we could make this the official news thread for Swiss players plying their trade abroad (which should be of high importance to this forum until the Swiss league restarts in a few weeks :hopefull: :)

Anyway, i only have patchy news, so everyone who reads this forum, feel free to add to this thread

Germany: 5/2/2002

* Jorg Stiel (Monchengladbach) kept a clean sheet as his team beat FC Koeln (Cologne) 4-0

In the same game, (Koln's) new recruit, former St Gallen player Marc Zellweger played a full game, and got a booking in the 23rd minute :nasty:. Where have all the St Gallen fans gone by the way

* Oumar Konde (Freiburg) came on after 67' in a 0-0 draw with Wolfsburg

* Ludovic Magnin (Werder Bremen) ws on the bench, and remained there as his side lost to struggling TSV 1860 Munchen. He'll probably get a run next game after this result though

Holland: 5/2/2001

* Johann Vogel played a full game, and got booked in the 55th minute as his team (PSV) amazingly lost to RKC Waalwijk. Looks like PSV won't win the Eredivisie this season

·
Registered
121 Posts
Feb 9 / Germany

Bayer Leverkusen - Borussia Mönchengladbach 5-0
--bad day for Jörg Stiel who played the full 90 minutes.

Bayern München - Borussia Dortmund 1-1
--a late equalizer by Bayern's Elber saves them at least one point. I don't know whether Sforza played, but I guess he didn't (as usual)...

-------------------------
Hi everyone !!! I'm new to this Forum and I hope I can provide some useful information now and then...

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
First thing first;

Welcome to the forum Vlado :happy: :cool:. Great to have another swiss fan here in this fledgling forum :excited:. I have no doubt that you will be able to provide useful information for the forum :hopefull:. In fact i hope you stick around cause this forum needs all the support it can get.

I notice that you are (another) St Gallen fan. We have had a few of them, but they seem to have gone missing?? :confused:. Jabalito is a SGFC fan and posts here now and again so u'll probably see him around.

Also, if you need any assistance, such as wanting to post a poll etc.., then myself or Viola can help. If you need something answered in German, then unfortunately only Viola will be able to help :D :eek: :doh:

Also in Germany: 9/2/2002

* Magnin again didn't make it off the bench for Bremen in their 1-0 win over highflying Kaiserslautern :sigh:. Hopefully he gets a chance sooner or later

* Konde got 11 minutes (+ injury time) on the park, and no goals were conceded while he was on. Unfortunately for him and his team, they were already down 4-0 away to Rostock when he came on :nasty:

England: 9/2/2002

* Stephane Henchoz played a full game for liverpool, but probably had very little defending to do as the reds ploughed over the "tractor boys" of Ipswich 6-0 away from Anfield !! :eek: :D

* Bernd Haas played a full game for Sunderland, and he and his side will finally be smiling after recording a precious 1-0 away win over fellow strugglers Derby. A clean sheet must also be rewarding for them after coppoing quite a few goals of late

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for your warm welcome Andreas...

Another result from Germany:
Cologne lost at Hamburg 4-0 and don't seem to get out of their struggle against relegation...

A few other Swiss players abroad: Fabio Celestini and Patrick Müller play for French first division teams Troyes and Olympique Lyon, respectively.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Vlado!:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ramon Vega has just been put on the transfer list by Watford. After a disappointing season, Watford is in financial troubles and looking to sell their star players. I wonder where he will end up next. Hopefully Basel has already used up their piggybank allowance on Zwyssig:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Do you think that Vega will go back to Switzerland just yet??? (BTW didn't this guy used to play for Sunderland in the EPL?? :undecide: )

As for Basel, if they can afford to pay Chipperfield $50,000 a month!! :eekani:, then they must have a pretty big piggybank

·
Registered
178 Posts
Vega played for Tottenham, then played one season with Celtic (The year of the treble) and then ended up in Watford. Before he went to Britain, he played for the Gross coached Grasshoppers. I don't think he will come back just yet, but you never know...

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vega could go to Spain, the country his parents (or father) were born.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks like Ciriaco Sforza will be on the move also. Ottmar Hitzfeld apparently isn't planning with the midfielder next season and adviced Sforza to look for a new club. Sforza says that he intends to honor his contract until the end.

A new chapter in the Sforza-Bayern saga is almost guaranteed:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Derby County to sign Luzern keeper

Here is the article (i have taken out insurance since it is from Onefootball.com. who tend to be wrong more often that your average weatherman :rollani: )

http://www.onefootball.com/index.phtml?page=fullstory&country_id=47&newsid=105722

I'm not sure of ther details, but i hope Luzern got some decent money for him (especially if he is to walk straight into the first XI) cause they need all the money they can get :neutral:

And about Sforza....., .. well it would be in his best interests to move, but the way Bayern are goign at the moment, he may well stick around and hedge his bets on Hitzfeld getting sacked (winning the CL and the league for the last umpteen years may not be enough :crazy: )

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it's time to leave for Ciriaco. He never had easy times at Bayern and there are many people who don't want him anymore, not only Hitzfeld.

My advice: Join GC again!:D

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
23-24 February 2002

Germany
(23/2/02)

* Sforza sat on the bench for Bayern (but did not play as usual :sigh: ) in Bayern's 6-0 romp over foreigner friendly ;) Cottbus. Bayern lie in 5th and have some work to do if they want to win another title

* Zellweger played a full game for FC Cologne, and got booked :nasty: as his side lost 2-0 to fellow strugglers Nurnburg and remain rooted to the foot of the Bundesliga table

* Konde played a full game in defence for Freiburg, but must have found the going tough with the rest of the side as they were beaten 3-0 by Schalke in the AufSchalke arena. Freiburg have slipped to 4th from bottom and stay out of the relegation zone on goal difference

* Stiel (gk) played a full game for 'gladbach (as all keepers should :D ) in their 1-1 draw away to lowly St Pauli. Borrusia are 5th from bottom, just a point out of the relegation zone

(24/2/02)

* Magnin FINALLY started a game for Bremen, but only played the first half and got booked in the 25th minute (which may explain why he was subbed out at HT). Unfortunately, his side lost 1-0 to Hamburg and are 7th in the table and still in with a chance of a european spot

England
(23/2/02)

* Henchoz played a full game, and was solid if unspectacular (i.e the usual - i saw this game) as Pool drew 1-1 away to Everton in the Merseyside derby. Liverpool are 4th and 9pts clear of 5th placed Chelsea (who have 2 games in hand)

* Patrick Forletti (from Luzerne) DID get a run in his debut for Derby :cool:. He replaced Andy Oakes after 32' and kept a clean sheet in his new side's 3-0 away win over celler dwellers Leicester

(24/2/02)

* Haas played a full game for Sunderland, and did some good things in their narrow 1-0 home loss to highflying Newcastle Utd in a typical northeast derby battle. Sunderland are at the bottom end of mid-table in 14th and not totally clear of relegation trouble
just yet
France
(23/2/02)

* Fabio Celestini played a full game for ambitious Troyes who were beaten away at Lorient in something of an upset. Troyes are 7th, ahead of some of the bigger names in Monaco, Marseille (both not that much of a surprise) and last years champs Nantes

(24/2/02)

* Patrick Müller played a full game for title challengers Olympique Lyon and they were also upset away to mid-table Sochaux (who have gained a reputation as a giant killer. Lyon remain 2nd on 50pts, 5pts adrift of Lens

Holland
(24/2/02)

* Vogel played 61 minutes before being replaced (by Kezman) as PSV eased to a 4-0 win over Utrecht. PSV lie 2nd, 3 points behind Ajax after Feyenoord lost at home to FC Twente

1 - 20 of 20 Posts