FC Basel got an interesting draw in the Champions League
Bayern Munich (GER)
AS Roma (ITA) FC Basel (SUI)
CFR Cluj (ROU)
Basel manager Thorsten Fink was a long time player at Bayern Munich and won a CL title with them, and of course the clubs are not too far apart in terms of geography. Basel met Roma last season in the Europa League and beat them in Basel but then lost in Rome. Cluj was one of the better draws of Pot 4 but it won't be easy.
Certainly a group in which Basel can finish 3rd to continue to the EL past the winter break at the least
Neuchatel fired their coach before the Basel game, he is the first manager sacked in the Swiss season
table heading into the international break
1. Luzern 14
2. Basel 13
3. Sion 12
4. Thun 11
5. Zurich 11
6. Bellinzona 11
7. Young Boys 8
8. Grasshoppers 6
9. Neuchatel 4
10. St. Gallen 4
Luzern still top the league after a good start to the season, the newly promoted side Thun have still not lost a game and Bellinzona are off to a good start. Meanwhile, Young Boys seem to be suffering the same fate of Zurich last season, where they did well to get into Europe but that will distract them from the league, but its still early. GC also with a slow start like last season
7 - Alexander Frei (Basel)
5 - Hakan Yakin (Luzern)
4 - Nick Proschwitz (Thun), Nelson Ferreira (Luzern)
Luzern still top of the league and they have a game in hand. They have some good experienced players but I don't know if they can keep it up. Basel had some struggles in recent weeks but a 4:1 away to Zurich is impressive. Teams like Young Boys and Grasshopper off to slow starts but there is still time to recover.
In Europe it wasn't the best start for Swiss clubs, 3 matches with 3 losses.
- FC Basel opened their CL campaign with a 2:1 loss to Cluj, disappointing game because they had more possession and good chances to at least get a draw, but they started off poorly and its tough to recover when you concede two goals in 12 minutes. They next host Bayern, can't expect much
- Young Boys lost 3:0 to Bundesliga struggles Stuttgart away from home and they next play La Liga side Getafe at home. Don't know much about Getafe, but Young Boys should use their natural pitch to their advantage in Europe
- Lausanne-Sport are just happy to be in the group stages. The second division side lost 3:0 at home to CSKA Moscow and they next go away to play Palermo. Lausanne got a tough group but this should help them out financially and give the players good experience. They are currently 2nd in the Swiss second division so we can very well see them in the top flight next season
Basel beat AS Roma at the Olimpico 3:1! :thmbup: Good result for Basel is what has been a disappointing CL campaign where they had 0 points but played decent in two matches. If they can beat Roma at home, they actually have an open shot to finish 2nd, and at least 3rd.
Couldn't watch a lot of the match because for some reason the streams were bad. I saw about 20 minutes of the second half when it was 2:1 Basel and Roma was all over them
Swiss Super League
1. FC Luzern 18 9 6 3 42:24 33
2. FC Basel 18 9 5 4 37:26 32
3. FC Zurich 18 8 7 3 34:25 31
4. FC Sion 18 7 6 5 29:18 27
5. BSC Young Boys 18 6 7 5 24:25 25
6. FC Thun 18 4 11 3 24:21 23
7. AC Bellinzona 18 4 7 7 25:36 19
8. Neuchatel Xamax 18 5 3 10 27:38 18
9. St. Gallen 18 5 2 11 18:35 17
10. Grasshopper 18 3 6 9 19:31 15
There is a tight race for the title, with Luzern being the surprise package but Basel and Zurich not far behind. Basel still have Europe to deal with while Luzern and Zurich can concentrate on the league. There is extra incentive to win the league because next season more than likely the Swiss champs will be automatic entrants in the CL.
At the bottom of the table, Grasshopper Zurich are the big disappointments but last season they were off to a poor start as well and managed to finish 3rd, maybe not reachable this season but I doubt they will be relegated. Overall, tight league with every club virtually still something to play for
In Europe, FC Basel and BSC Young Boys still remain in the knockout stages of the Europa League: FC Basel qualified through the Champions League by finishing 3rd in a group with Bayern Munich, AS Roma and CFR Cluj. They draw Spartak Moscow who also are one of the eight clubs coming from the CL. BSC Young Boys continue their impressive run in Europe by finishing second in a group with Stuttgart, Getafe and Odense. They have proven to be a tough team to beat in Bern but tend to struggle away from home. They draw one of the EL favorites Zenit St. Petersburg
Georgian Soccer Thread
Well since Raanan started a Ukrainian Soccer Thread i thought it would be good to start a Georgian Soccer Thread. There are some many well known Georgian players lying around such Kakha Kaladze of AC Milan, George Kinkladze and Timour Ketsbaia.
Georgia is an up and comin...
Since 2000 the league was reduced from 18 to this years Superleague with 12 teams.
These are Superleague teams:
- Kosova Prishtina
- Trepqa 89
The firts 6 teams will go for play off, while the...