Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard that the two Mexican teams in the eight finals decided to drop from the competition because of the pressure of Conmebol, São Paulo and Nacional.

Both teams asked for the venue of the game to be changed from Mexico to another country and it seems Conmebol gave in not wanting to drag things further both Mexican teams, Chivas and San Luis, decided to drop from the competition.

Huge shame people should never use a health issue to their advantege, only 44 people died with the flu there is no risk traveling to Mexico in my opinion.

Because of that São Paulo and Nacional will be qualified for the quarter finals directly.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Disgraceful behaviour from NAcional and Sao Paulo

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the thing is Conmebol asked for a venue change and the Mexican teams decided to protest by droping out.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have a solution to the problem. invite river plate and san lorenzo to play against são paulo and nacional.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
nah....it sounds fair to me...many countries in Europe and Asia have stopped any air flights to Mexico because as seen, the travelers from Mexico have brought the disease to some countries (Spain, US to name few)...
i wouldn't risk my health at any cost if i was playin for Sao paolo and nacional

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
nah....it sounds fair to me...many countries in Europe and Asia have stopped any air flights to Mexico because as seen, the travelers from Mexico have brought the disease to some countries (Spain, US to name few)...
i wouldn't risk my health at any cost if i was playin for Sao paolo and nacional
Oh please, the disease in itself is fairly benign, in fact, its the same to treat than normal influenza.

Mexican deaths from normal influenza in a year average about 10K, from this fairly easy to treat N1H1 virus, 49........what bullshit.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
i know that...in fact, around 30,000 people die due to regular influenza here in US..but its the fear factor that has been created through this influenza...and why not fear it?..40 people may not seem alot but you can't ignore the few cases where the disease has been transmitted to other countries due to the travelers..
and again, why risk it?...chances are less than 0.001 probable, but still..
i wouldn't go if i was one of the players

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Well it's fvcked the whole competition up and to invite teams that have already been knocked out in the group stage to be put in place of the Mexican teams as suggested in the thread would degrade it still further.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
well, it's better than letting spfc and nacional go through to the quarter-finals without playing! it's unfair to the other clubs who are still playing

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
but I'll tell you what, I think this is a W.O. case. if they won't show up in mexico, then it's a 2-0 result. if conmebol took the right actions, I'm sure sp and nacional would book their flights right away!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
The competition as a whole will lose money if the Mexicans stay out next year... the extra revenue from Mexican and American TVs were the biggest reason for the Mexicans' presence in the Libertadores.

That being said, I wouldn't have wanted to play in Mexico either. I can't blame SP and Nacional. Is it unfair for them to qualify straight away? Absolutely. But it's not unreasonable for those clubs to refuse to go to Mexico at a time when travel-bans to Mexico are being imposed by many nations. We can't just pretend that the disease doesn't exist.

It's easy to gamble with other people's health... the Mexican clubs could have accepted to play in the US, where they'd still have the majority of fans. In this context, refusing to even discuss alternate venues is unreasonable.

But it's not reasonable for SP and Nacional to qualify straight to the next phase either.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It is such a shame. I am loving every moment of south americas football.

They still have that passion that can not be described with words.

Also, why on earth Cuenca-Caracas game was not postponed?

It was like the game of water polo!

·
Registered
23,919 Posts
That being said, I wouldn't have wanted to play in Mexico either. I can't blame SP and Nacional. Is it unfair for them to qualify straight away? Absolutely. But it's not unreasonable for those clubs to refuse to go to Mexico at a time when travel-bans to Mexico are being imposed by many nations. We can't just pretend that the disease doesn't exist.
But apparently we can pretend that it is dangerous and some kind of special problem. Taking a taxi in Mexico city is still 10+ times more dangerous.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Shame. Good by mexico federation to pull the teams out. Conmebol was changing their story every minute and changing the conditions every time they sent a new communication. It's clear many in Conmebol don't want Mexico in Libertadores. If they're gonna continue with this hostile treatment, I applaud the mexicans for saying enough is enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts